SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
suzieque_gw

Cancer Boook?

suzieque
15 years ago

Hi - my friend was diagnosed ~ 2 weeks ago with lung cancer (not a smoker). Has anyone (a cancer patient, survivor, or loved one) here read this book? I would like to get her a book that will help her as she deals with the diagnosis and yet-to-be-finalized treatment. She is 53 years old, married, with 2 adult children. This book was written by (and mostly for, according to the reviews) a much younger woman, but some of the reviews say it's good for any age. Any comments? Any other suggestions?

Suzieque

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to Book

Comments (9)

• petaloid
    15 years ago

I haven't read that book - the description does sound good.

One book I would recommend that helped me personally is Harold Benjamin's "From Victim To Victor." It helps in dealing with doctors, treatments, and things that improve the immune system to help one get through it all.

Benjamin started the Wellness Community centers, where patients and their significant others can go to free, moderated support groups -- there may be one in your friend's area. Ours helped us a lot.

I'll put a link below that lists a review, and the bottom of the page shows several other books that might be helpful.

As a former patient, I want you to know that your friend will still appreciate talking about everyday, non-cancer topics with you, at the same time knowing you are open to hearing her concerns about her illness. Thanks for being there for her!

Here is a link that might be useful: From Victim To Victor

• petaloid
    15 years ago

The link below shows a list of Wellness Community locations:

Here is a link that might be useful: Wellness Community locations

• heather_on
    15 years ago

For those going through chemo "No More Bad Hair Days" by Susan Sturges Hyde was an excellant read, very inspirational and humerous at the same time. It is a book I was given and loved.

• ruthieg__tx
    15 years ago

A friend game me the book linked below and it is a wonderful book and full of information. It covers the whole gamut of diagnosis and living with cancer....

Here is a link that might be useful: Anti Cancer A New Way of Life

• suzieque
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you all. I'll look into the options you suggested.

Suzieque

• ann_in_florida
    15 years ago

Please suggest this link for your friend. There are so many knowledgeable and caring people on this message board, all who are dealing (or have dealt) with lung cancer.

www.lchelp.org

• maryanntx
    15 years ago

I did read Crazy Sexy cancer Tips and loved it. The book gives you lots of information on diet, etc. and also has pleny of laughs in it. I would definitely recommend it.

• suzieque
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ann & Maryanne - thank you. I'll point my friend to that site, Ann, and Maryanne, I'm glad to hear a review of the book! I'll get it for her.

Suzieque

• polarprincess
    15 years ago

I spent all night on amazon last night looking up the best cancer books to order for myself and i am ordering the crazy sexy cancer tips,chicken soup for the survivors soul,it's not about the bike,cancer is a bi*ch,and theres no place like hope- all had great reviews and i am sure whatever you get her she will love.