SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
happy_go_lucky_gayle

60 Minutes...Laptops

Did you see 60 Minutes last night? This Professor has found Geeks to build the perfect Laptop that is childproof. It has changed the lives of these children and their families.

I was under the impression that the computer was only $100 and you could buy an additional one for $100 for a child in a 3rd world country. However, they are $200 each, still well priced.

I think He is onto something. Education is the way to solve world hunger not food handouts. They need to be educated in order to survive.

Gayle

Here is a link that might be useful: Laptops for Every Child

Comments (10)

• grittymitts
    16 years ago

I got the same impression you did about being able to purchase one for personal use. He said "Only until the end of the month." Guess I better should listen more carefully...or perhaps they should make things more clean.

Still, I wonder how many e-mails hit 60 Minutes site this morning?

Suzi

• bud_wi
    16 years ago

I saw that episode when it first aired in May. I have been following the development of this new laptop for years. The original crank model that they had distributed three years ago has been dumped already as impractical.

They do not emphasize the fact that the villages that they intend to distribute these to do not have the infrastructure in place to use them yet. They work well in most cities.

I think it is a great idea to get computers to all kids and this is a truly remarkable program. If anyone intends to purchase one of these for themselves check out the NY Times article to see the limitations that these things have. (ThereÂs no CD/DVD drive, no hard drive and only a 7.5-inch screen. The Linux operating system doesnÂt run Microsoft Office, Photoshop or any other standard Mac or Windows programs. The keyboard is too small for touch-typing by an adult.)

Also not that the price of these are $200 EACH not $200 for two of them. You have to spend $400 - to get one for yourself, and one to be donated to a child in a third world country - still a worthwhile endeavor.

Here is a link that might be useful: NY Times article

• susiesunshine
    16 years ago

Wild~~~~~ W I L D ~~* * * W ~ I ~ L ~ D * * *!!!!!!!
    far out !!!!!
    Amazing !!!
    Fantastic !!!!! Who knew.....
    I think... I'm still in awe of the computer anyway!!!
    Thanks for the interesting story..
    I did not get to see it last nite
    and I appreciate you sharing !!!
    Still
    A M A Z E D !!!!!
    God Bless !
    M E R R Y + C H R I S T M A S !!!!!
    susiesunshine

• Happy_Go_Lucky_Gayle
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yes, the most expensive part is putting in the Satellite for each village as they don't have electricity.

He started it to get kids interested in school. Enrollment increase by 50% after word of mouth news of the new computers.

Gayle

• patti43
    16 years ago

I saw that. According to the show, they have WiFi so electricity is not a problem. It was my understanding the computer cost $200 BUT you HAD to buy two--the second going to a child in a third world country.

To tell you the truth the whole show made me kind of mad. When are we going to be concerned about kids in our own country? Our literacy rate is terrible, there are children going to bed hungry probably in every one of our communities, but we're more interested in saving the world--and ours be damned. At this time of year especially, the newspapers are filled with stories of needy families that just break my heart.

• Happy_Go_Lucky_Gayle
    Original Author
    16 years ago

In my immediate community....I count several surrounding counties....we are very pro active on curing hunger. I feel I do all I can for my community through church and various organizations.

We have Meals on Wheels, Food Pantry and Donation Centers. The government has given Food Stamps and Allowances for those in poverty.

We have Organizations that find Homes for the Homeless. Habitat for Humanity build new homes.

We have Medicaid.

Most of all we have our Freedom and a Choice to help the less fortunate.

I have worked in non-profit organizations for most of my Adult life. There are all kinds of organizations to Volunteer to help the indigent.

I once had a Volunteer who was 95 years old who came to help my organization. She said "I just wanna do what ever I can to help". What an Angel, I gave her a sit down job and I almost cried watching her struggle with her little arthritic shaking hands shuffling papers.

If you feel strongly about Hunger in the United States, then we all need to step up and do our part.

I've had volunteers that could only give me an hour of their time a week. But, it counted.

I can't say enough about volunteering...it is the most rewarding thing you can ever do.

Many of our volunteers where young people whose church had sent them to do Community Service before earning their confirmation.

There are children in Africa, who are Orphaned because of Aids. If they don't have relatives they are on their own. Some walk 10 miles to get food for their younger siblings.

Yes, we have children that are hungry in the US and shame on us, if we aren't doing everything, we ourselves, can do to end this battle against Hunger.

OK! Whew....

Love ya!

Gayle

• bud_wi
    16 years ago

"According to the show, they have WiFi so electricity is not a problem."

"Yes, the most expensive part is putting in the Satellite for each village as they don't have electricity"

This featured laptop still does need electricity to run. They ALL do. They have batteries and can be charged mechanically or by solar.

The electricity needed has nothing to do with WIFI or satellite. That is the signal and all you need is an antenna.

The two have nothing to do with each other.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hank Crank Laptop Plus Others.

• Happy_Go_Lucky_Gayle
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Your right.

Gayle

• mariend
    16 years ago

I too have mixed feelings. Yes we should help others out thru out the world, but when we donate money, food or clothing the organizations accepting them must be accountable for the items and try to get them to the needy, not to the big cities only. We must also help those here in North America who are struggling just to get by, by making food, medicine, medical and clothing avaiable at a price the adults can afford and keep jobs HERE and not allow so many jobs to go abroad.

• patti43
    16 years ago

Sorry, bud_wi,

I was going by memory of the show and, being technically challenged, googled 60 Minutes to figure out how they connected at home. I still don't understand exactly how they do it, but they installed a satellite and a generator in the village and when the children take them home they're connected by broad-band. I don't know if they can crank them or just take them to school the next day and charge them.