SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pammyfay

a combined smartphone/GPS unit question

pammyfay
12 years ago

I'm really wanting to upgrade my phone from a cheapie pay-as-you go flip phone (it dials, texts but that's pretty much it) to something that will help me access other stuff I need when on the road. I would like it to be web-enabled, because there are many times that I cursed myself that I didn't have a GPS device, or wanted to find the nearest bank in an area or wanted to look up the ingredients of an online recipe I neglected to print out.

But beyond that, my current phone works fine, so there's a part of me that says just to keep using it, because it's much less expensive than what I'd be in for with a contract (been there -- before real smartphones came out -- paid the bill!)

Here's my question: With smartphone apps, is there even one that gives you GPS info that's audible? The times I'd be using the GPS function -- whether via phone or separate device -- I don't want to be having to look at the screen of a smartphone.

In a perfect world, I'd get an iPhone to have a good camera/phone/app accessibility in one (plus Siri-type reminders of everything I'm forgetting nowadays!). But I fear the cost is prohibitive right now and sometimes I'm just too darn cheap and don't want to shell out that kind of money!

Not even sure what kind of smartphone to get; haven't started to research and I'll have to scan all the previous related posts on this forum.

So I'm wondering if I decide to prioritize GPS function, whether there are apps that mimic a GPS device or whether to just go get a Garmin or Magellan.

(Stay tuned to my next posting: "Are there non-Apple smartphones that are as intuitive as Apple products?")

Comments (22)

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022