SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
notjannaz10

If ya don't love coyotes, don't read...

notjannaz10
13 years ago

Today while out on our early-morning walk, we heard a coyote crying. We hear the young ones every so often when they get separated from their pack calling to the others for help. The pack will answer and they will call back and forth until they locate each other. Then lots of happy yipping and yapping.

Well, this little guy wasn't getting an answer. It's been really cold here the last few nights, and down to 27 degrees last night, so I really hoped his family would find him before he had to spend a night alone.

My walking partner can sometimes really be depressing. She kept saying he was sick, his pack wouldn't come for him, he was gonna die... I about had to smack her to shut her up!

A little ways farther on, we turned up a dirt road that crosses the undeveloped area where the coyotes like to hunt, and all of a sudden, something gray trots across the road. Took a moment to register that it was a grown-up coyote. Then here came another, about 3/4 grown. And finally, another pup, yards behind the other two.

Had to be the "lost" one. And he wasn't trailing behind because he couldnt keep up. he just had to investigate ***everything***. We stood watching as the first two made a bee-line for the wilderness. "Caboose" had to stop and sniff, or wander this way than that. I whistled, and the first two kept right on trucking. "Caboose" stopped, looked around, decided we werent all that intersting and went back to something else he'd smelled...

I suspect if he was a kid, they'd diagnose him with ADD. I think he's just overwhelmed with curiosity. If he survives childhood, he's gonna make a great daddy coyote someday.

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting