SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okwriter

Question re: getting 'our affairs in order'

okwriter
16 years ago

After every funeral we attend, DH and I always say we should "get our affairs in order." Well, we have an appointment this coming week with an attorney (who was recommended by our long-time CPA) to finally do it. This first appointment will be informational - attorney will explain our options and recommend the best choice for us.

DH and I have no kids, so we want to sure that our wishes are carried out when one/both of us eventually die. We've agreed on an executor (or trustee?), and we have a backup if that person doesn't want to do it or passes on. Neither of these people are family members.

Besides deciding/defining what our wishes are, I'm looking for suggestions about special considerations that we may not think of. For instance, what if one of us remarries? I have a handful (maybe 6-7) "family" pieces that belonged to my paternal grandparents that I'd like kept in the family (in other words, to my younger sister or her daughter rather than to DH and his new wife, if that occurs), so I'll want to specify what those items are.

I'm wondering what other scenarios we should be thinking about?

Comments (18)

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County