SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
indianakat

Your education........where?...courses of study,etc....

IndianaKat
15 years ago

Ms. Pattico posted a thread concerning how we, as individuals, learn some of the "things" we know....great post Pattico. It made me think back to my school years and wondered if any one else received schooling as I did. I grew up in Grandview Indiana...a very, very small town on the Ohio river (pop. about 400 when I lived there) and we had an elementary school (called the "grade" school by the older folks) and the high school students were bussed to the local high school about 10 minutes away in Rockport. Our grade school had 5 rooms....4 classrooms and the principals office....the office also served as the storage area. The first and second graders were taught by the same teacher in the same room at the same time. It was the same for all the remaining grades too....the 3rd and 4th were in the same room , the 5th and 6th were together and so were the 7th and 8th. There was no "divider" in any of the rooms. We could all hear and see what was being taught to the upper or lower class. The teacher would instruct us for a while then assign a task and step to the other side of the room to continue with the other class. Of course after we finished our assignment we were "all eyes and ears" as to what was happening next door. We were all a pretty sharp bunch and always well-behaved....there was no safety in numbers for us if someone did something wrong...there were only 12 of us combined in the two classes....I graduated from the 8th grade with the same 8 students that I had started with in the first grade. We

were always a year "ahead" or so because we were really taught two grades at once. Was that the norm for small schools in the early 50's? Or were we unusual? Was anyone else taught this way? My mother attended a one room school and she has often remarked that her education was wonderful....she learned lots of things much earlier than some students in larger classrooms. Sorry this is so long..

~Kathy~

Comments (12)