SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pansysoup

Anyone want to design a garden for $10 hour?

pansysoup
17 years ago

I occasionally check out Craigslist to see what's cooking in other parts of the country. Just found the following ad which I thought you'd all enjoy. (Note: Tiburon is in Marin County, north of San Francsico, where Mich does her work).

"Please come over and plant, dig, and design my hillside garden in Tiburon. Compensation: $10.00 an hour."

Take a deep breath. Here's my response:

"Hi,

I want to be gracious about this, but I'm a Landscape Designer (in Southern California if that matters).

I charge $25 - $45 an hour to assess, design, locate the right plants for your property and your taste, and to bring them in.

I'm at the cheap end of the spectrum.

The Mexicans (let's not mince words) who do the cleanup, haul away the trash, and dig the holes are paid more than $10 an hour. The least I pay anyone who can speak English and differentiate between a tree and a goldfish is $15.

Your ad is like asking a contractor to design and build a wing onto your house (in TIBURON) for $10. If anyone agrees to do it, run. They will leave you with a disaaster you'll have to pay me, or someone more expensive, to clean up in a couple of years.

Landscape design is a technical business and requires a lot of training and experience. We undercharge because we love what we do, but the boxboy at Safeway gets more than $10, and you don't want him designing your garden.

Maybe you can get a teenager to weed for $10, but in Marin County, probably not.

Take out a second mortgage and hire someone great to do something you'll want to live with for 20 years.

Good luck."

This is just in case someone needs to start another vent-thread about landscapers being undervalued.

Mich? Have some spare time?

Comments (42)

Sponsored