SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
grammahony

Latest Update on DGS Nathan/Please Keep Him In Prayer

grammahony
14 years ago

Nathan's Updates

Hello-We are home and have been super busy. In the last week Nate has been having a little more trouble with the muscles in his legs so we have been trying to get things set up to make things easier for him.

I will back up to our appointment with Dr Goldman last Wednesday. Again, things do not seem to be improving and some things seem to be getting harder for Nate. His legs are weaker and his speech is some what off. Megan did the physical check over and then Dr Goldman came in and asked Nate how things were going. Nate told him "Not so Good". We all talked about the changes that had happened in the last week and questioned if we should be staying with this medication. Then Dr Goldman came up with a good plan we all agreed on. Nate had is 5th treatment of Nimo and we are to see if anything improves this week. As of right now, we also set up a MRI for this coming Wednesday. If Nate notices an improvement this week we will cancel the MRI and continue the Nimo treatment as planned. If no improvement we have the MRI, then they will read it right away and decide the next type of treatment. Dr Goldman did remind us that there still could be swelling causing these symptoms, but he also will be able to tell if this current medication has made any difference at all. He then told us if we do have to change medications, he has several "tricks" up his sleeve. We dicussed a few options just to be ready if we have to change. If Nate goes to another clinical trial, he will have to go with no chemo again, for 2 weeks to clean out. The other option is to go to a type of chemo that was used a long time ago, but Dr Goldman said he thinks its still a good one. He said alot of people stopped using it because it does cause some side effects, like low blood counts. This also a treatment that might be able to be done in Omaha but we would still have visits with him, but not every week. So as of today we are not seeing any improvement, so it looks like we will be having the MRI this Wednesday and we will make the next plan of treatment after we hear the results. Please pray for Nate to have a good week. We also ask for guidance in the best direction for Nate's treatment.

Since Nate has been having a harder time walking this week, we have started a few things to make it easier for him. We did get a wheel chair for him to use to get around in busy places, but around the house he is still walking as much as he can to maintain what leg muscle he does have. We also have set up some physical therapy, which he starts this coming Monday. He is going back to school Monday, but will have the chair to get around school. Right now he will start with morning classes and then have a teacher come to the house to help him with the rest of his classes in the afternoon. He is starting to worry about how much school he is missing, so I think the one on one afternoon teacher is going to really help. This is not set up yet, but we have a meeting Monday morning to get this going. Nate's school/teachers have been soooo very helpful with everything he has needed this year.

Another thing that has been keeping us busy in the past 2 days since we have been home is "Wrestling". Even though Nate hasn't gone back to school he wanted to go and watch the first Elkhorn dual against Blair. This was a good way for him to kind of break the ice with a few friends with him being in his chair. As I watched him from the stands, sitting with the team on the floor, I think it was the best medicine he has had in a long time. He had such a good time cheering everyone on and had his mind on something else other than chemo, steriods, medicine, etc. It was diffently a mental uplifting boost for him. This Sunday, our school is holding a benefit wrestling tournament for Coach Bluhm's family in honor of his daughter, Josie Bluhm, who passed away in a car accident last May. Nate, Jeff and I will be working a table at the tournament and I know Nate is looking forward to that also.

It's getting pretty late so I am going to close for now. I feel like I never say this enough, but I really want to thank everyone for all the support that we have been receiving. It is very much appreciated and has helped our family so much.

Take care and please keep praying-

Thank You

Monica

And Leslie

Comments (14)