SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
secsteve

Our Dear Friend is gone

secsteve
14 years ago

I'm sitting here writing this with tears in my eyes, so forgive any mistakes and pardon this being so long.

I wrote back in November about my movie group that said they had decided that all future meetings would be at our house due to Bubba's deteriorating condition.

Yesterday our dear Bubba went to his final rest. He was 17 years and 4 months old and the vet said for a large dog, that was good. His condition had really gotten much worse and yesterday when I went to get him up, I discovered he was completely wet on one side. He had had two seizures (mild or as mild as a seizure can be) in the last 5 days. The vet said if any seizure lasted more then 5 minutes, to bring him right in. Although they were both less then that, we knew it was time.I could swear he looked at me and if he could have talked would have said "Thanks Dad for everything, I'm ready to go now".

What made it so hard was his determination to keep on going. As weak as he had gotten, he would go out in the yard and walk around (with a little help) to do his duty. After his seizures, he'd come back stronger, hungry as could be and would drink a trough of water if I'd let him.

Even at the vets he wanted off the table, thank you very much. I'm not sure who cried harder, me, the vet's assistant or the vet. The vet and his assistant complimented us on how very loving and caring we'd been to Bubba and that under the circumstances, most people would have given up on him long ago. What was important for me was to know he wasn't suffering and up until these past couple of days, he wasn't. The vet said that his body had started shutting down and we brought him in at the right time.

Both the vet and the neighbors complimented us on the extraordinary care we'd given him. It made me feel good to hear that as I was wondering all along if we were doing the right thing. Now I know we did.

Today is snowing and he would have had a hard time trying to get around in the snow even though he always loved it. His favorite thing was sticking his nose in the snow, snorting and watching the snow fly.

It's always hard to lose a pet but his time of year it seems even worse.

Comments (44)