SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cynic_gw

I normally dread going to the store

cynic
14 years ago

Looks like a long cold trip out there, doesn't it???

Grocery shopping is one of my least favorite things to do. But with the storm moving in I decided it'd be wise to head to the store and pick up a few things since I won't likely be getting out for a couple days at least short of a near-miracle. I needed to mail a letter too so I mailed it made another stop and headed to the store. Not unexpectedly it was very busy even though it was in the morning. I went in, got a motorized cart and started shopping. Got a few things. Lots of people. Everyone's getting in each others' way, but I take a deep breath and remind myself that I don't need that much - take your time, get yer stuff and git out!. Then the cart lost its charge in the middle of the store. Light said it was fully charged. Yeah right. Preview of coming attractions? Well it wasn't.

I thought I could say forget it altogether, or go to a different store but thought that I was here, let's git-er-dun. So I went back and there was another cart plugged it. Showed full charge so off I went for round two. But this time I was more relaxed and while looking around I noticed something. Most of the people were in reasonably good moods. Perhaps concern about the pending storm? Holiday jitters? Santa gave them a warning?

So I got myself and thought this wasn't a bad trip to the store at all. I even stalled a bit to think if there was anything I might have forgotten. Couldn't think of anything so I headed to the checkout. They had ample lines open. I got in line and had absolutely the NICEST lady checking me out. She was talkative and commented how good that pecan pie looked. I told her I had been craving one for a while. Then she said "You should go try the ones at Thriftway!" LOL Then she mentioned that her neice worked there and she had applied there but was uncomfortable with the interview. Unusual conversation but enjoyable. Asked if I needed any help bagging or getting to my car too. Boy does that make me feel OLD! I thanked her, wished her a Merry Christmas, packed up my groceries and headed out. As I was heading out the door she came walking toward me returning to her station - she had been to the service desk. She got a huge smile and said to have a great day. It was so pleasant. THe nicest trip to the store I've had for along time. Then after I transferred my bags to a regular cart to head to my van, there was a younger gal ringing the bell for the "kettle". Just as I came out there were a number of people around and suddenly she yells at the top of her lungs "WATCH OUT FOR THE REINNNNDEEEEER!". I couldn't help but laugh.

I had a pleasant drive home. And an enjoyable afternoon too. I'm looking at the snow pile up. Watching the accidents and ditchings on the traffic cams. And glad that I'm inside and I'm not leaving. There's showing about 20+ accidents on the traffic map. And it's only 7:26 am. No way I'm going out into that mess.

Yuletide felicitations everyone.

Comments (11)