SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joann23456

How do you handle this common (I think!) gift-giving problem

joann23456
13 years ago

Okay, so I know that you're never obligated to give a gift, even if someone gives one to you first. But how would you handle this?

Two of my closest friends give me gifts every Christmas and birthday, always gift cards with something else small, like an edible item. They started it, I didn't. I've suggested several times that we concentrate on the kids and not give to each other. They say, "Yes, mmm-hmm," and then on the next birthday or Christmas, there's the gift card. I don't think it's that they particularly want to exchange gifts, but more that they can't *not* do it.

It's not the money, at all. I love these people, I have the money. So I finally decided to just buy gift cards in equal amounts, even though I think it's stupid.

But I hate giving a gift card to a good friend. I like personal gifts that reflect that I actually *know* the recipient. And I do know these people, so I can find gifts like that, but it means more shopping. Which I don't really want to do.

So, would you stop completely, knowing that they are not going to stop, would you just keep giving the stupid gift card, or would you start buying real gifts for these people?

Comments (9)