SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mtnwomanbc

What is YOUR signature fragrance?

mtnwomanbc
16 years ago

It doesn't matter if it's apple-scented shampoo or Chanel No. 5...how do you "show" yourself to the world, scent-wise?

My mother will forever be associated with Shalimar...in fact, I have her last bottle of perfume, which is at least 40 years old (she died 20 years ago). A brief whiff of the stopper brings back years of memories.

While I do love cucumber-melon fragrances, it has't (yet) risen to the level of a true perfume. Personally, when I do wear perfumes, I love Coriander and, to my surprise, Bellagio, since I bought it on a lark when in Las Vegas a few years ago. I do have a few others, including years ago, Giorgio, I also have a bottle of Joy, which I bought mainly because "it was the thing to do" as a young lady on her first trip to Paris as an adult (although I had lived there as a child). Others on the shelf not worn recently include Obsession and Magie Noire (both a bit too heady). In high school, I loved Tabu!

My sister has had a ying/yang love of both L'Air du Temps AND Poison...go figure.

What's your fragrance profile?

Comments (58)

• JoanMN
    16 years ago

Jovan Musk. I have had many women comment on how good it smells, even when I'm walking around grocery-shopping. I just love it.
    JoanMN

• wanda_illinois
    16 years ago

I am a Bob Mackie fan.

• Related Discussions

How do you change your signature in Word?

Q

Comments (2)
    You can create as many signatures as you want with AutoText. Click on "Help" from within Word, and then go from there. You'll get step-by-step directions. But, basically, you first type what you want to use as your signature. Then you block it, click on "Insert," then on "AutoText," then on "New." You give it a name. (As I recall, the very first one you create can use the Word-provided "Signature" as its name. Subsequent signatures need different names.) Do this for each signature you want to create. Then, to use those signatures, you'd be in your document, then click on "Insert" then on "AutoText." You get a fly-out menu listing your different choices. There is a choice for "Signature," but your additional sigs may be listed under "Normal" which has its own fly-out menu. Some of the directions vary according to which version of Word you are using.
    ...See More

Do you have your own signature color?

Q

Comments (25)
    There's a color at Lowes, I think it's called Sand 2 (I think it comes in 1,2,& 3). It is a great neutral, but with color, if that makes sense. It's neutral, goldish, greenish, not too dark or light. My decorator friend says everywhere she uses it, people love it. It's her old stand-by! I've had a color from Glidden in my family room for about 14 years (we repainted it same color). I've loved it in my house, with my lighting. Unfortunately, it totally read peach (not in a good way) in my sister's house. She repainted it. So what works for one person, doesn't for the next. I like to change colors from room to room, but keep them all the same quality. We have one level, so all the rooms are pretty easy to see in to. It' kinda bad when you turn the corner and see your teenagers bright color! LOL! Good luck!
    ...See More

What is your fav. Christmas fragrance oil?

Q

Comments (1)
    My favorite is Blue Spruce, from CandleScience.com.
    ...See More

Your favorite roses with a musky fragrance?

Q

Comments (4)
    That scent derives from 'R. multiflora', and can be found in those roses with a lot of it in their ancestry -- Hybrid Musks and Polyanthas especially. I have 'Marie Pavie' in the front yard, and can smell it from my front door. In the back, most of the "musk" scent lingering in the yard comes from 'Bubble Bath', a Hybrid Musk I have trained as a climber against the fence. When "Darlow's Enigma" gets going, I can smell that from far away as well. 'Clotilde Soupert' has the scent, but it doesn't travel as far. Interestingly, I find that the true musk rose -- 'R. moschata' -- is scented more noticeably of cloves, but there's still the "musk scent" underneath. You'll find a slight variation on this scent among the non-Tea Noisettes. I have 'R. moschata' and its offspring 'Reverend Seidel', the latter of which smells like a mix of 'R. moschata' and "Darlow's Enigma". This makes sense since it has both 'R. moschata' and 'R. multiflora' in its parentage. :-) ~Christopher
    ...See More
  • Happy_Go_Lucky_Gayle
    16 years ago

Daily, after my shower, I use "Cotten Blossum", a lotion from Bath and Body Works.

When I play "dress up", I wear "Beautiful". But, I don't wear it above the waist. I don't like to sneeze all night.

Gayle

• Marigene
    16 years ago

It used to be Maroc, since it is no longer readily available, I have switched to Fendi.

• Mystical Manns
    16 years ago

I don't wear perfumes, but adore different fragrances from Bath & Body Works. Right now it's the Japanese Cherry Blossom scent ... when that's out I'll switch to Sensual Amber.

• deemarie5500
    16 years ago

Old fashioned, but I still like Calvin Klein ETERNITY (and so does DH!).

For the office, it is whatever shower gel I've chosen for the day (from Bath & Body Works!)

• User
    16 years ago

I don't have any single fragrance that I wear constantly. I love Jean Paul Gautiers Classic, Shi and Pure Poison. I must have about 20 bottles of perfume but those would be the top 3 that I wear. I try not to wear the same thing two days in a row. I like to mix it up.

• monica_pa Grieves
    16 years ago

For years, for evening occasions...Joy perfume by Jean Pateau.
    Raely use anything for daytime, but when I do, it's DKNY, Cashmere Mist cologne.

• janemarie5
    16 years ago

I wear Happy by Clinique most days but also wear Oxygen or Casual on occasion (don't remember who makes either one)

• okwriter
    16 years ago

I've been seeing this site advertised on TV. Has anyone tried it?

Here is a link that might be useful: FragranceNet.com

• summer_tx
    16 years ago

I've been wearing Ellen Tracy for the past couple of years. I've had many compiments on it.

• frostedc
    16 years ago

I wear Cashmere Mist, by Donna Karan, as a
    dress up fragrance, and I like Japanese cherry blossoms,
    from Bath & Body, for everyday.

I use to wear Hope from Francis Denney, but I can't find
    it in the stores, anymore. What I have ordered online, doesn't smell the same, as the original.

• pranjal
    16 years ago

Boss Woman, Issey Miyake, Bvlgari. Summer, my friend adores Ellen Tracy; I'm gonna try it out ASA I run out of one of those three.

• kathy813
    16 years ago

Oscar De La Renta is my favorite when I can afford it.

• Tally
    16 years ago

BBW Senual Amber.

• msmarion
    16 years ago

Lolita Lempika is my absolute favorite. I love the glass apple it comes in.

• naughtykitty
    16 years ago

It all depends on what I am wearing and my mood, but I have:

Thierry Mugler-Angel
    Gvinchy-Amerige-Exclamation
    Pink Sugar
    Davidoff-Cool Water
    Marc Jacobs- Cucumber (It might be Michael Kors-I confuse the 2)
    Desperate Housewives-Forbidden Fruit (this is what I have on today)
    I have a few more but I am blanking right now.

• grammahony
    16 years ago

I don't wear any usually. I do use Vanilla Milk lotion from Bath and Body. If I do wear something, it's Oscar de la Renta.
    Leslie

• dirt_yfingernails
    16 years ago

I always liked Muguet du Bois by Coty and Jovan musk oil. Nearly ordered some on-line a couple of months ago and might have to do so now. It's been years since I've had either. Mom's been gone over 10 years and she always used to buy the musk oil for birthdays or Christmas.

• FlamingO in AR
    16 years ago

I don't wear any as it gives Woody a headache, but if I use scented products, I prefer a lemon scent.

• itsmesuzq
    16 years ago

I used to wear Poem' by Lancome for years. I now love Westeria by Crabtree & Evelyn and Inner Grace by Philosophy. It it heavenly...I love clean fresh scents and both of those fit the bill!

~Susan

• curlysue
    16 years ago

Okay, call me old fashioned, but I love Love's Baby Soft, I use it every day-I just tried Japanese Cherry Blossom from Bath and Body Works and I think I have found a new love. I really like this stuff. I use Plumeria shower gel and lotion from BBW. I think their Vanilla Bean Noel is my favorite lotion. You can only get it at Christmas time so I had to stock up.

• Kathsgrdn
    16 years ago

I used to wear Shalimar, before that Emaraude (cheap but smelled about the same as Shalimar) and sometimes Avon's (can't remember the name of it) but they all have a similar scent. Don't wear them anymore because perfumes make me choke and cough.

• Zipper_TX
    16 years ago

RED, when I wear it. ;0)

• alisande
    16 years ago

Chanel No. 5 has been my top pick since I was 16 and my friend Denis brought me back some from Paris. These days, my daughter buys it for me.

I was given Givenchy's Amarige several years ago, and have continued with that as my second fragrance. People are always asking me what it is, including a guy who wrote down the name to buy it for his girlfriend. :-)

• Jodi_SoCal
    16 years ago

I have different scents depending on where I'm going, what I'm doing.

Ciara by Charles Revson for when I'm going to be surrounded by people who have known me a long, long time as it was a fragrance I wore every day many years ago.

Chanel No. 5 by Chanel for when I want something light (it's lighter than Ciara).

Tuscany Per Donna by Estee Lauder for when I'm around my daughter as she told me once it will be the fragrance she will always remember me by. Certainly don't want to be forgotten. :-)

At work, if I need a little relaxing, I smooth on Imari perfumed skin softener by Avon.

Jodi-

• mtnwomanbc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Just as a side note, I can't wear anything with orange blossom extract, which makes me swell up and sneeze immediately. So I usually try scents several times before buying. Orange blossom extract is in a LOT of fragrances.

• amicus
    16 years ago

Some of my favourite scents have been mentioned already...Cashmere mist (although it tends to fade after a few hours), Lolita Lempika, and Amirage. I also really like Noa and Lovely. But oddly enough, the one I get complimented on the most is the cheapest stuff you can buy, Skin musk oil by Bonne Belle.

I once saw Sarah Jessica Parker on David Letterman and he kept going on about how great she smelled and finally asked her if she was wearing her own perfume. She blushed and said she had to confess it was Skin musk oil from Bonne Belle that she buys at Target and has been wearing for years, because she gets more compliments on it than any other scent she wears! I can totally vouch for that.

• cardamom
    16 years ago

For years I've worn Bal a Versailles by jean deprez til I couldn't find it anymore. I've been wearing Raffinee by Dana mostly but I find both at FragranceNet.com site that okwriter asked about.
    When I wear Raffinee I get asked what I'm wearing.
    Okwriter, I've ordered and have had no problem with service, product or delivery.

• wine50
    16 years ago

I love trying new smells. Sometimes a fragrence smells so nice in the store and then when you get it home it's nasty... My long tme favorites in no particular order are Sung...Oscar De Lerenta..Rapture (at Victorias Secret and I normally don't like any of their smells)...Windsong... Fidgi, when I can find it, and several of the Bath & Body lotions.

• Rudebekia
    16 years ago

Aliage, by Estee Lauder. It is sometimes hard to find. I love the smell, especially in the cold of winter time. A very light scent, called (oddly) a "sport fragrance."

• maryanntx
    16 years ago

My favorite is Happy by Clinique.

• lilliepad
    16 years ago

Sun,Moon and Stars.I wore Mary Kay Angelfire for years and got lots of compliments.DD gave me SM&S one year for my birthday and I've worn it ever since.I also get compliments on it.I tried using the Angelfire not long ago and it just doesn't smell the same as it did when I wore it all the time before.I guess my body chemistry has changed.I don't wear perfume every day but I do use the body spray in gardenia fragrance.I think it's body works brand from wal-mart.Smells really good and lasts all day.
    Wine-My mother's favorite fragrance was Wind Song.I can smell it now and it brings back wonderful memories of her.She passed almost 4 years ago and I'm really missing her right now.

• mrsmarv
    16 years ago

Chanel 19 or Allure. Sometimes RL's Pure Turquoise. Many years ago I wore Giorgio when I worked in an "upscale" farmer's market nearby. There was a gentleman who used to come in a few times a week and would always either come on my line (if I was cashiering), or find me wherever I was in the store that day. He said he loved the scent and would come in for his fix...I suppose nowadays that would be called stalking. One day he brought in a men's handkerchief and asked if I would be willing to give him a spritz to hold him over until he came in again. You gotta love it.

• bunglogrl
    16 years ago

Chanel No. 5 has been my signature fragrance for more than 25 years. I wear it nearly every day.

I also like Happy by Clinique. I usually wear it on vacation because I have the little travel-sized bottle.

I wear Ruffles by Oscar de la Renta for a special night out even though I don't care for it. It was a gift from DH and he loves it.

• liz
    16 years ago

Clinique Aromatics...I've worn it for years...I collect the little sample bottles of perfumes, but always put on the Aromatics...I also love Jai Ose and thanks to ebay can still buy it...

Karl Lagerfeld was on my airplane years ago and gave us all bottles of his perfume...I was hooked on it for years just because I met him...DH used to always buy me KL for Christmas!

• tannatonk23_fl_z9a
    16 years ago

I've worn Blue by Ralph Lauren for years so I guess you could say that is my signature scent. Before that I wore Chanel No. 5. I also occasionally wear Pink Sugar by Aquolina or Prada.

~Betsy

• dances_in_garden
    16 years ago

When I was a teenager/young twenties I lived mostly at night, and I was known for my perfumes - not in a bad way LOL. In those days, it was Georgio, Opium, Chanel No. 5, or if it was more casual then Exclamation, Poison, or Sweet Honesty from Avon. They changed Sweet Honesty at some point and I didn't like it any more.

I had an extensive collection, and some of them were expensive while others were cheapies or knock offs LOL. I used to love Love's Fresh Rain, my sister loved (and still loves) the Love's Baby soft. The rain was harder to find.

Once I started living in the daytime, I stopped wearing perfume or scented items at all. I found people wore their perfume too strong during the daytime and I would get such a headache, so I stopped wearing mine as well. It was just too overwhelming. Then when the phobias (bees/wasps) got out of control I was too scared to wear anything that was scented in any way - including hair spray.

I am slowly getting back into wearing scents. For myself I prefer something fresh, not too sweet or cloying, subtle, and feminine. Unfortunately, when they smell like that in the bottle it smells like stinkweed on me. I am not a fan of sweet or musky scents, but they work best with my body chemistry. Just a touch of something with musk, vanilla, or spice in it and I smell like baking cookies! Do you want to know how to get a room full of men to ignore the pretty 20 year olds with their 20 year old perky boobs and high buttocks? Smell like cookies. Trust me on this one.

Most recently though I have either been using Vanilla Chai body spray (my deoderant is the same scent), or Ralph Lauren (the blue).

• wantoretire_did
    16 years ago

I seem to have a good chemistry for Opium. Also am good with Mary Kay Angelfire.

Love Lagerfeld for men, but when DH tried it it was awful - :-(

Way back when, I used a Musk in a black bottle; don't remember the name. Also very compatible.

• junkyardgirl
    16 years ago

Well, it used to be Tatiana by Dianne Von Furstenburg, then I thought they quit making it, so I changed to Anais Anais, but that got too expensive, so I changed to White Musk. The other day, I was in Big Lots, and there was Tatiana! One 3 oz. and one 2 oz. eau de parfum for 8 dollars. Well, it's not perfume, but it's close enough! I don't wear perfume much, so this will last me awhile, then I guess I'll be back to White Musk again.

• Jamie_MS
    16 years ago

Passion by Elizabeth Taylor. I have worn it for years.

• Maureen Janda
    16 years ago

I like several of the Chanels, Allure especially, but my very favorite is an old one that hasn't been mentioned - L'Air du Temps by Nina Ricci. I love to use some of the body cream before I put on my nightgown. When I pull the gown on the next night, it still has the scent. Love that.

Unfortunately, I read that they've changed the formula to use cheaper ingredients, which I can really tell in the body creme.

I wonder if there's a site where you could enter a perfume name and get back a list of perfumes that are similar. Wish L'Air du Temps hadn't cheapened.

• pump_toad
    16 years ago

Donna Karan, Cashmere Mist is my favorite.
    Lois

• Lindsey_CA
    16 years ago

Mine is L'Heure Bleue by Guerlain.

• mcmann
    16 years ago

My signature fragrance is Johnson & Johnson baby powder which I put on after applying deodorant.

There must be something wrong with me because I just don't have a nose which can discern subtle differences in perfume. So I just don't wear any. My poor husband even bought me a bottle of Joy parfum when we were vacationing in the Bahamas - the really expensive 1 ounce bottle that now sells for $400 in the States. It's still nearly full.

• Cherryfizz
    16 years ago

Oh boy, I don't know if I could be around half of you KTers without getting a headache. LOL Any scent by Estee Lauder gives me an instant headache. My Mom used to wear White Linen. If I smell Poison the instant headache I get from that makes me really ill. I don't know why those particular scents make me feel that way but they most certainly do.

When I was a teenager it was Love's Baby Soft or Heaven Scent or Skinny Dip. LOL I loved Skinny Dip.

When my friends and I were teenagers we all liked wearing Jovan Musk but my Mom didn't like it so she wouldn't let me wear it but when I got out of the house I would dab some on. In my late teens I loved the smell of White Shoulders or Channel 5 so I would just buy the soap or dusting powders.

In my early 20's I wore Maggie by Lancome or Givenchy by Givenchy. My Aunt worked for Sterling Drugs in Aurora and they distrubted Givenchy so she got it for me at a discounted rate. If I could find Givenchy I would still be wearing it.

I always loved the scent of Jean Nate. I always wore the bath splash. When I started to wear Oscar I thought it was a little heavy for me so I would put some Jean Nate bath splash on then spray the Oscar. The scents combined became my signature scent and everyone would stop me and ask what I was wearing. I don't have anymore bath splash so I still use the powder. I like to use Oscar bath products, body lotion and the talc as well but only in the winter months because it is a heavy scent.

Right now I wear Rosamoor by Oscar. I love it! I couldn't afford to buy it for the longest time because it was $60 for a small bottle. I lucked out and my local drug store had it on sale for $16. I should have bought 2 bottles at that price. LOL

My Sister's signature scent is Shalimar but used to be Halston. When I was a kid she wore Tigress and I love that scent on her. She used to give me her empty bottle with it's tiger striped velvety cap and I loved it. I still may have one of those bottles around here.

My other sister only wears Imari by Avon. She likes a spicey scent. She also used to love Majorca soaps so I always had an easy time finding a present for her. LOL

I wish I knew that some of you liked Mackie or Fendi. I had a bottle of each I was given as a gift. I would gladly have given it to you if I had known. I sold it at my yardsale.

Anne

• wildchild
    16 years ago

Chantilly. I always get compliments when I wear it. Probably because I give the quickest mist just to the hair on the nape of my neck.

I get headaches from musky or powdery scents.

Too many women (and men) drench themselves in scent. If you can smell it on yourself you are wearing too much. Get a clue. It's not sexy or pleasant. It's nasty.

The only ones who should be able to smell your scent are those who are close enough to hug you. You're not supposed to be a walking, talking room freshener.

• bulldinkie
    16 years ago

I love to smell Emeraude. My mother bought me a bottle before she died,I still have it.She died 1975.

• wantoretire_did
    16 years ago

I forgot about Heaven Scent. I found the original at Thrifty and wore it several years ago then they changed it completely so that was the end of it :-(

• Tally
    16 years ago

"Smell like cookies. Trust me on this one"...

Dances, have I got a link for you! I've been using this woman's hand creams for several years now, and she has the most amazing fragrance collection, including a lot of bakery sniffs (which I adore)

Cranberry Spice, Pumpkin Pie, Buttercream Frosting & Lime Coconut Cream are my favs. Her shea butter Babe-Cakes Body Icing and the Creme de Corps are super fab! Man, I could just about eat the stuff it smells so awesome.

Anyway, you might like to browse her Fragrance Bar, the link in on her website on the left at the bottom:

Here is a link that might be useful: Make Me Smooth Body Creams