SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kathsgrdn

Bariatric surgery has been approved!

Kathsgrdn
13 years ago

I was in a heart monitor class this afternoon for work, when I checked my phone for messages during a break. The hospital's insurance coordinator where I'm having my surgery left me a message saying my insurance company finally approved my surgery. I'm so excited! It only took a month and tons of testing, but they are supposed to call in the next 2 weeks to set up the last all day appointment and then I can schedule the surgery.

I have a couple weeks of vacation scheduled for January so I'm going to try and have it during that time frame. Will probably have to take 3-4 weeks off. I canceled vacation I had scheduled the last week of this month to save it for my surgery. My manager has told me she will work with me regarding light duty when I return to work.

I just want it done and over with.

Comments (55)

• Kathsgrdn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes, Lydia, I'm obese, with multiple health problems, sleep apnea, hypertension, asthma, gastric reflux. I have trouble now walking up and down stairs because of it. I have a family history of diabetes, heart disease and stroke. The main reason I decided to have it done is that I'm having lots of trouble exercising because of pain in my left leg and foot. Can't lose weight if you can't exercise and diabetes is right around the corner for me. Not to mention heart disease if I don't get moving.

Erin, I don't think it's too easy to get approved for the surgery, I had to jump through a bunch of hoops and still have things to do before I have it done. Nearly every day I'm not working I have been going to appointments getting tests done and getting paperwork. I've had to go get my sleep study results from nearly 5 years ago, come to find out they had someone else's height and weight with my name. So, had to get that corrected. Had to have an ultrasound of my gallbladder, an Echo, 2 day stress test, an upper GI series, pulmonary function test because of my asthma, and see my primary physician to get his ok, then fax all that info to the bariatric center. I still have labs to do, mail or fax the echo and stress test results to the center (they never got the results the cardiologist said were faxed to them), and another all day appointment to go to.

I do understand the risks and have had patients and know quite a few nurses/friends now who've had the surgery done. Not one person has regretted having it done, even if they didn't lose all the weight they had hoped they would or had problems following the surgery. It still made a big difference in their life and health. It took me over 10 years to finally decide to have it done so it wasn't a spur of the moment decision.

• lynn_d
    13 years ago

Good for you and best of luck, Kathsgrdn!

• Related Discussions

Bariatric surgery - Any experience or advice?

Q

Comments (31)
    Thanks all for a lot of good advice. I shared this thread with my friend. She is also getting additional feedback from others including professional advice from her doctor. Like some of you commented, Baraiatric surgery today seems quite different than a few years ago. I also asked our family doctor who is quite conservative and his opinion was that it depends on co-morbities like diabetes, high cholesterol etc. For many people this is resolved. However, it is but a tool and lifestyle changes are key. Unlike procedures like Lap band which has issues like slippage, vomiting etc., and more drastic procedures like gastric bypass where there is serious issues with not being able to absorb enough vitamins and such, the specific procedure that she is looking at is sleeve gastrectomy that leaves the intestines intact. She will need to take calcium everyday. A chewable vitamin is good as eating very less food initially is very stressful for the body. But once the sutures are healed, she can eat normal food for most part.. Just less of it and more protein. A very hard decision but she has a good support group among friends and family.
    ...See More

Girl talk: Has anyone had uterine ablation surgery?

Q

Comments (22)
    I had an ablation about 6 years ago. I had previously had surgery to remove a couple of fibroids and that helped considerably, but a year later I was still having bleeding issues and I had the ablation. (my doctor had suggested it at the time of the fibroid removal, but I didn't want to do them both at the same time). My periods didn't stop, but I discovered Light tampons, and only needed about 5 of them a month. I haven't heard of women having hormonal problems after ablation. I certainly didn't have any problems with my procedure, which was done with the balloon method. I had cramping for less than 12 hours, then felt fine. You do need to use birth control, because you can conceive, but there is no where for the embryo to implant without the lining, so a pregnancy could be dangerous. I think that it's important to know why you are having bleeding problems. For example,if you have fibroids like I did, an ablation isn't going to remove the underlying problem.
    ...See More

Step 3 under my belt,,,,Bypass Surgery

Q

Comments (24)
    You're not crazy??? Whew! That's good to know. I have a friend who is a nurse. She had the gastric bypass several years ago and she looks fantastic. While she was going through all the counseling, etc, her overweight daughter was giving her a hard time and calling her selfish. So Debbie took her daughter to the next counseling session and her daughter decided to have the surgery too. They had their surgery within 2 weeks of each other and both are doing wonderful and looking great! I know you are prepared and will have success! Good luck with the insurance.
    ...See More

Took my second step towards surgery.....

Q

Comments (20)
    Thanks everyone! I decided to go with the Gastric Bypass instead of the band.From what I've been told(at the DR's) more people have trouble with the band...there are more restrictions with it and also it's a slower weight loss. The bypass is a longer hospital stay....maybe 2 nights where the band is one night but from what i've heard and read,the bypass is the best way.I just want to get it done and get this fat off.Maybe I can even swim in public next summer! I told our friends last night that i'm going to dance on the bar after i lose weight! LOL! they said they'll help get up on it!! LOL!
    ...See More
  • FlamingO in AR
    13 years ago

Good luck, Kath. I hope it all goes well and that Lauren is "hired" to be your caretaker immediately after you get home, or that someone comes in to help you, I can't imagine being home after that without someone at the ready to help. :)

• donna_oh
    13 years ago

Good for you!

Donna (^_^)

• vala55
    13 years ago

Best wishes and do follow their diet. I met a man on a bus trip that had it and wouldn't follow the diet and was gaining his weight back.

• ruthieg__tx
    13 years ago

Good Luck Kathy.....I know that being a nurse, you know and will do all that needs to be done. Kudos to you for making the decision to save your own life.....I have heard several people refer to the surgery as "taking the easy way out"...well if they only knew the regime that is required to get through the surgery and the lifestyle changes required,as well as the period of convalescence, they would have to eat those words very fast.....Sending good thoughts for a successful surgery and a quick recovery.

• Kathsgrdn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes, I know, Ruthie, easy way out is a joke. I'm trying to work on the vitamin/mineral thing now and getting used to drinking protein in liquid. The stuff is awful tasting.

• kfca37
    13 years ago

My half-sister & her husband both had that surgery about 4 years ago. From info from another sister that lives local to them (Michigan), they both intially lost a lot of weight & got active in running, in-line skating, etc. He's kept the weight off, but half-sister has put either some or a lot back on according to my other sister-source. (Due to other cicumstances, I haven't been in contct with my half-sister in a number of years.)

Not to alarm you, but the mother of one of my former neighbors underwent this surgery earlier this year, but something went horribly wrong, she ended up on life support, & died a couple of weeks later. She also was a registered nurse & was something like 52 years old. I don't know if they ever found the definitive problem (the family moved a month ago), but last I heard it looked like an allergic reaction to the anesthesia given her. I know they were talking to lawyers.

• nodakgal
    13 years ago

That is great Kath!
    My DSIL had it done a few years ago now. Recently looked at some pics of DD#1's first wedding (11 yrs ago) and I was amazed at how she looked before compared to now!
    IMO DSIL doesn't eat right, but who am I to judge? LOL She will nibble on the good stuff and then go back 3 or 4 times or more for the sweets! She says they are her weakness, but she should eat more of the good stuff than the bad IMO. Whatever tho.

• Kathsgrdn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

That's funny you mention that Nodakgal, because I just read a book about weight lose surgery and they tell you to be ready for everyone to watch every single thing you put in your mouth after the surgery....and make judgements/comments about it. LOL! I know I've thought the same thing about friends who've had it done and co-workers too. Doughnuts after going through all that? Really? Most people can eat everything they had a year or more after surgery, just not as much at one time. I'm hoping in the year or so that my appetite is so diminished I can teach myself to do better.

Some of the other nurses at work have told me horror stories about people who have died following the surgery. It's not like I don't know that can happen, but who wants to get diabetes, I sure in the heck don't. I've seen too much as a nurse to even want to go down that road. Not to mention what it did to my own mother. No diet program I've ever been on has helped me keep the weight off so this is it for me.

• kayjones
    13 years ago

Kathy, I think you will do just fine and be healthier - I've known several folks who have had it and did well - just take care of yourself!

• workoutlady
    13 years ago

I have a friend that did this on March 2 of this year. So far he's lost 200 pounds. He had a really hard time when he was in the hospital and when he came home the first month. For a while food came right back up but now he's doing great. I talk to him weekly and his only problem now is to quit losing weight. He's where he wants to be right now. He looks great and his health issues due to his weight have all gone away. I wish you luck. Let us know when you go thru this so we can all be praying for you.

• vala55
    13 years ago

I wasn't going to say anything so negative but to be quite honest with you I would never have the surgery. My neighbor had it and it went bad and had to have it reversed. Now she has all kinds of digestive problems. If I felt the need for the surgery I would find out what kind of diet I would be on afterward and do the diet it now instead of going through the surgery.

• sjerin
    13 years ago

I wish you a safe and successful surgery, kathsgarden. This is silly, but was the "Erin" comment for me? I hadn't written yet--perhaps it was to smilin54. Is her name Erin? So far I haven't seen another with my name on this site! Anyway, much good luck to you. Sounds like you're going into it with eyes wide open.

• Kathsgrdn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

No, sjerin, Erin is mom24.

• summer_tx
    13 years ago

All my best wishes for a successful surgery and recovery for you Kath. I know this was not an easy decision especially with you being a nurse and seeing/knowing some of the ramifications. It's good that your general health is allowing you the best advantage with the surgery. Hoping your health will continue to improve as time goes by. The very best of luck to you!

• Kathsgrdn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Vala55, you need to read up on the surgery because that statement about just going on the diet makes absolutely no sense, sorry.

• sjerin
    13 years ago

Ahhh, I see. Sorry 'bout that--couldn't figure it out since I've never seen her name posted!

• bee0hio
    13 years ago

It sounds as if you've made a very informed decision, Kath. I wish you every success with the surgery & a smooth recovery. You'll have fun buying a new wardrobe for the smaller you.

• sandy_in_ia
    13 years ago

Best of luck with the surgery! I hope it all works out very well for you.

• bulldinkie
    13 years ago

There is another drink tates 10xs better than the white stuff,I couldnt keep the white stuff down so they told me to get this,it comes in a few flavors,apple,punch,orange banana,grape,mango a few others I like the grape,its called Isopure gnc I think has it,I had to stop this because too much protein being on dialysis.0 carbs,40 grams protein.Does wonders for your nails,hair.good luck with surgery,Ijust had the lapband,a girl in dialysis just had the one youre getting shes having problem with the runs so much,cant eat ham.

• Granlan_TX
    13 years ago

All the best to you, Kath! I admire you for going for it and hope you'll be feeling younger and stronger for making such an important change. :)

• mom24
    13 years ago

It sounds like you have gone through quite a bit and like I said, I think it's wonderful that you got approved and that you're happy. I know you're smart enough to have researched and I know that you know yourself well enough to know what will work for you. There are quite a few pts in the hospital where I work that have enormous troubles afterward, but then, I don't really see the successes, so I'm sure I don't get all sides of the story. I know it's not an easy thing and it's absolutely not for me but I think it's great that you are taking control of your future. Congrats.

• aunteyp
    13 years ago

I had the surgery done in July this year and have lost just about 60 lbs. It came off fast and furious at first but now I'm kind of stuck. I really have to get moving again. Also I'm not a big meat eater so I have a problem with the protein. I hate the drink but I'm starting back with them.
    It's not going to be easy but worth it. Your going to feel so much better after a few weeks.
    Hugs. Peggy

• tami_ohio
    13 years ago

Let us know when. I'll keep you in my prayers.

Tami

• linda_in_iowa
    13 years ago

Best of luck to you Kathy. For the life of me, I can't understand why others post negative comments about the surgery. What are people thinking when they feel they just have to tell you about the people who died or had complications from the surgery.

• patti43
    13 years ago

I wish you all the best, Kath! Will you exchange students still be with you at that time? Do you know the doctor who will be doing your surgery? Is it proper to ask for references? LOL! Hearing about how quickly people have lost so much weight must make you anxious to get it done ASAP!

I do have to say I've seen pictures of you and didn't think you looked obese. You're just a little cutie!!

• sharon_fl
    13 years ago

Kathy..Congrats on the good news! You may not remember me- I've not been on here in so long..so many new KT'ers! I know it can be stressful w/all the paperwork, tests, etc-but SO worth it.
    For those of you who don't know me...Ive been on the KT since 1998-but so many of the 'vets' no longer post here. I had the gastric bypass surgery on May 3,2000. I weighed 325lbs when they wheeled me in the OR and in 14 months I had lost 225lbs. Today I weigh 131 lbs and am 66 yrs old.
    I know it's hard for many to comprehend why anyone would risk this surgery but those who have traveled the road will tell you that they'd rather risk it, than live one more day obese!
    To this day-I have never had a diet soda-any soda...I ONLY drink ice water or iced tea..day & night (2 coffees in the A.M.)
    Kathy..here's a tasty hint on the Protein powder. At GNC-they have 'Designer' Protein powder..a couple bucks more, but so much better tasting. I always put my skim milk, the powder & a heaping TBS of strained baby food peaches & a few ice cubes in my drink blender. Made it almost like a chilled milk shake!
    I'll be following you-feel free to email me..anytime, okay? I can give you some 'helpful hints as well.(((to Kathy)))

• Kathsgrdn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for all the good thoughts. I'm going to need them.

Yes, Sharon I remember you! Thank you for coming and posting here and letting me know you're still doing so well. I'm going to have to try one of those "shakes". I tried a sample packet of powdered calcium the other day in yogurt-oh gag. I ate it all but it sure was nasty. The only calcium sample I could stand was a chocolate flavored chew, the other flavors were disgusting. I'm going to go to GNC and check out what's available. I have some soy protein Alex had from when he was lifting weights this summer. I'll remember to e-mail you when I'm off, I do have some questions. Thanks for offering.

Thanks Bulldinkie for the tip on protein powder.

Aunteyp, glad you're doing well too.

Patti43, yes the exchange students will be here still. Alex will be here during the time I'm in the hospital and I have friends nearby who can be around just in case they need an older adult. Yes, the doctor came in and talked to us during the initial seminar. I'll get to talk to him one on one during my next all day appointment.

• Linda
    13 years ago

Best of luck to you Kathy. For the life of me, I can't understand why others post negative comments about the surgery. What are people thinking when they feel they just have to tell you about the people who died or had complications from the surgery.

I was thinking the very same thing! Good luck with your surgery. I'm in the real estate business and meet alot of people who have had this surgery. None of them regret it, all of them are glad they did it and would do it again in a heartbeat!

• patti43
    13 years ago

I forgot! Be sure to take "before shots" to help keep your morale boosted and to see your progress. Be sure to come around here for encouragement when needed, too.

• zeetera
    13 years ago

That is so nice Kath. I think you look great too, but it's good that it will improve your health.

• sharon_fl
    13 years ago

Kathy..by the way? Make sure you get some Flintstones chewable vitamins-as you will need them from the get go. I used them the 1st 6 months. Also...one other thing from GNC? Now listen-these are NOT for the 1st 6-8 weeks but...after then you'll find even tho you've dropped pounds..your energy level will still be nil. At one of the post surgery meetings I went to-when I stated how tired I was...16 women almost in unison said "DOTS"! I said what the heck are DOTS? They are a B12 tablet that you put under your tongue & let it dissolve. 1 a day. I thought no way wil they help-but before I knew it-I was cleaning dresser drawers, etc...!! I always took mine around 9am but if you have an evening engagement? You can wait & take the pill around 4pm & you won't be tired for the event. AND...they do NOT make you nervous nor unable to sleep. They are the BEST!

• des_arc_ya_ya
    13 years ago

Oh, Kathleen, that's WONDERFUL! Best of luck to you and I hope that it is a roaring success and takes care of a lot of your ailments! ((Kath))

• Kathsgrdn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sharon, your e-mail link doesn't work, in case you happen to see this.

• molly109
    13 years ago

Hadn't seen this before -- but just want to
    wish you all the very best for a terrific
    outcome for you.

I know very little about it, but have heard it
    is a lot of hard work. But, it sounds to me
    like you are aware of what you need to do -- and
    very capable to doing it.

Good Luck.

• glenda_al
    13 years ago

Wishing you the best of luck!

• amyfiddler
    13 years ago

Okay... so people have complications with pregnancy too. Some even DIE! It happens. Doesn't mean it's a bad idea!

Congrats to you on a difficult decision made. Best to you!

• sue_va
    13 years ago

Kath, I've been wondering when you would get everything worked out. I know you are capable of doing whatever it takes to get to your goal.

Not to sound cruel, but you know what? People have automobile accidents every day and and some are injured ans some are killed. But I would never give up riding in a car.

I know you will shrug off the nay-sayers. Anybody who has raised two great kids, works a hard full time job, and takes in two foreign teen-agers can handle anything that comes up. And you are that person!

We are rooting for you, and wish there could be a way to help.

Merry Christmas!!

Sue

• Kathsgrdn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, Sue, Molly, Glenda, and AmyFiddler. I'm so excited but a little scared too. It's next Wednesday, sooner than I expected. Was thinking mid January but they had two openings and then later had two cancellations, but that would have been TOO soon, before Christmas. I didn't want the kids Christmas ruined with me hurting or not into all the fun.

I'm going to be off for 5 weeks unless I feel up to going back sooner. It's going to be wonderful to have that much time off from work. I'm just trying to stay healthy until the surgery, everyone around me has been sick at work. I feel like wearing a mask all the time.

Wish I had Sharon's e-mail address, which is why I brought this back to the top. Her link on her page doesn't seem to be working.

• hgl_gaylemarie
    13 years ago

Good for you! Wishing you the best with your Surgery.

• teresava
    13 years ago

Good Luck Kathleen-I hope everything goes smoothly!!

• bigfoot_liz
    13 years ago

Good luck, i hope everything goes better than you expected! i will be thinking of you and your kids! ~ liz

• workoutlady
    13 years ago

Good Luck Kathleen. We'll be rooting for you. Keep us posted please. My neighbor had his in March 2010 and he is doing great. The surgery was hard but once he healed up, he felt great. He can eat with no problems just not as much as before. Check in here when you are feeling up to it.

• petaloid
    13 years ago

I'm glad they were able to schedule you, even though it's a bit sooner than you expected. Wishing you all the best!

• kacram
    13 years ago

(((((((Kath))))))))
    "I feel like wearing a mask all the time. "
    I think you should! don't want to cancel because
    you got sick!

I lost 125lbs on weight watchers. With Chemo, I've gained
    back 38! darn it! but now that I don't need to take
    the steroids, and they took me off of one of the
    chemicals, I'm really working on it again. You will
    feel so much better! and more energy!

wishing you good luck and a fast recovery!

and I hope Sharon comes back and sees this! She is up
    north right now, if I remember correctly! with her
    family!

• Charlee_MO
    13 years ago

Will have you in my prayers, Kathleen.
    Maybe do a shout out to Sharon. I remember her from back in the day.

Charlee

• Kathsgrdn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the good thoughts and prayers. I'm excited. Clear liquids today. Have to go this morning for blood work and pregnancy test. They don't believe that I really don't need the second one done, oh well. LOL!

• molly109
    13 years ago

LOL -- glad you are feeling well
    this morning.

Best of luck -- good thoughts and a special
    prayer.

Hugs

• patti43
    13 years ago

((Kathleen)) Thinking about you this morning so I was glad to see this post back up to the first page. GOOD LUCK tomorrow!!