SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pattico_gw

Up date on the lap top buy

pattico_gw
16 years ago

My daughter called tonight in tears...because she was so mad.

She said the lap top has about a dozen dead pixels on the screen.

She called them. They said bring it back and we'll refund your money. Or you can put the money toward a different one.

She said "you mean after I sat outside in below 20° weather for 11 hours that is the best you can do?"

he says..."sorry that was a special sale can't do anything about it."

I assume that they gave out 20 tickets to buy a working lap top in new condition regardless of how much they charged for it.

I said she needs to get in touch with Best Buy headquarters.

She is a gaget girl and spends a lot of money there. A lot!

They'll be losing a good costumer.

I haven't heard anything about the other daughters lap top yet.

patti

Comments (42)

• bigfoot_liz
    16 years ago

that is very common for cheap laptops. i have a 2 yr old HP i needed for work (landscape design) and while i got a good price it's loaded and was well over $1000. i dragged this thing onto landscaping jobs 5 days a week for 18 months rain or shine, i sat on covered porches working occassionally got rained on too & have yet to have a problem. dh got a new laptop for college this past aug replacing his craptop IBM thinkpad of 5 yrs. he's a techie and did his homework, while we hate best buy (we know people who have worked in their puter dept) he did find an acer for $400 w/ a great processor, huge hard drive and system bus. if it lasts just 1 yr that's cheap enough to replace often. after 2 months he had a dead pixel thou... i did see some holiday ads w/ hp laptops for $500 a good price w/ good processors and decent memory, she might shop around...~ liz

• Mystical Manns
    16 years ago

I've never heard of dead pixels on a screen! Does that mean that a spot on the screen is black, no color?

• Related Discussions

Looking to get my first lap top

Q

Comments (7)
    Notebook used to refer to a laptop under 10 lbs. The term netbook is used for the small screen less powerful ones gaining popularity because of lighter portability. Mac is short for MacIntosh computers - both desktop and laptop. A year ago I bought my 1st laptop. I read the big box store ads every Sunday and googled the ones in my price range for specs, reviews and anything else I could learn. I decided I wanted a 15" screen, 2 GHz speed & Core 2 Duo processor, 3 Gb RAM (can upgrade to 4 Mb), B thru N WiFi (N wasn't available in my price range), ordinary graphics (don't game so didn't want to pay for a dedicated card), DVD read/write. Didn't care about a webcam but they all had them. Would have liked a SATA drive (over my price range). Today I could buy my laptop for 1/3 less. You have to start the comparison shopping task after you decide what is important for your needs. Spend some time at the stores and take notes. Unfortunately even salespeople can pass along faulty info. I had decided on a Toshiba and ended up with an Acer Aspire and it has good sound quality which I had neglected to consider. Got lucky. A friend got an Asus with a SATA drive and loves it. A little over $1000. Lucky you ~ you'll get Windows 7 instead of Vista unless you buy a Mac.
    ...See More

New lap top locking up

Q

Comments (5)
    Thanks for the suggestions........seems like he (they, him and wife) have narrowed it down to probably a virus. They thought they had the right anti virus program but figured it had expired and they didn't know it. Guess it was one of those 90 day trial offers. Anyway, thanks for the fix.........
    ...See More

Dating the shelves (Exp dates)

Q

Comments (8)
    Funny ... today we moved the canned goods storage area from the basement to a hall closet closer to the kitchen, which DH fitted with shelves. So now I have an official pantry! I'm so happy. Going up and down stairs is getting REALLY difficult, so keeping me out of the basement is a good thing! Boxed goods are already stored in the kitchen, so now everything is nice and close. I pitched and pitched and pitched ... both by expiration date, and by EWWWWWW, why'd I buy THAT?
    ...See More

Old fashioned good quality or Up to date lesser quality?

Q

Comments (29)
    As hubby, tongue-in-cheek, likes to say about me, "there's nothing too good or too cheap for her". It really depends on the WHAT! Before we spend on a product, service or an experience, we like to consider what will we gain by making the spending decision. We like to be well-informed consumers (especially when something is a large amount of money) and will choose from both categories - old and new. I wonder if this is a right-brain / left-brain question ;?) I'm more of a logical thinker than emotional, so that accounts for many of my choices. I couldn't care less if someone sees me in a $2 (on sale) white T-shirt from Wal-Mart worn for working out (I even have some I bought for $1 at Wal-Mart). A $300 work-out outfit doesn't make me sweat any less or perform any better. While I'll spend a LOT for SmartWool athletic socks which feel better and out-wear cheap cotton socks any day, and I buy quality shoes for working out, and for everyday use. We had a lovely antique bedroom suite, but we got tired of the upkeep, drawers that stick, and the size of it, so we donated it to a Hospice auction. Replaced it with minimalist furniture we purchased from Aldi at a fraction of the price they were selling the same stuff for at the expensive furniture store down the street. -Grainlady
    ...See More
  • bigfoot_liz
    16 years ago

yup. you'd probably notice several but the one dh found is only visible to him LOL, it's the size of a pinhead and in the far left bottom corner. i can only find it on solid white pages. ~ liz

• lydia1959
    16 years ago

That's too bad, I hope they can work something out for her. I wonder if all of the computers were like that? Think of all the peeps that bought them as gifts and don't try them out before wrapping.

• bigfoot_liz
    16 years ago

at best buy you can not just walk in buy the puter and walk out w/ it. they have to load software on it and they say it takes an hour, more likely 5 minutes but want you to shop around the store. in the meantime they are loading all their junk on it and if you are not pretty savy you really don't know what is on the thing...

we're immune to such ploys LOL and dh had them load only a couple of things since he uses UNIX platform and they quickly realized he knew more then they did. he also had to sign a release because he did not want certain things on it, wanted to get the disks and did not want to wait on them running diagnostics on it. he plugged it in at the store and ran a check on it himself, then signed the release. dh has repaired tons of puters from these retail places, they can not be trusted to sell you something working let alone fix something correctly and for an honest price ~ liz

• bestlawn
    16 years ago

That's really the pits. I'd be awfully disappointed, too. So, are they saying because it was a special sale they don't have to replace it with another one? I don't imagine they have any more of the same, but can't they give her a comparable one? She'll probably have to pay the difference, which actually I guess she could do after they refund the money. Just seems "sorry" is so piddly. Sure hope she's able to get some satisfaction.

• caflowerluver
    16 years ago

What brand was it again and the price? Did it come with a manufacturer's warranty? It seems like the manufacturer would have to replace a defective one. Good luck.
    Clare

• susanjf_gw
    16 years ago

this is scary as i want to buy dh a l/p for christmas...they just bought a dell for work...wonder if i should work directly with them?

• sjerin
    16 years ago

As I suggest to anyone who has a problem with a product or service, write to anyone who writes a consumer column in the newspaper (or tv, or radio.) Our guy at the San Jose Mercury seems to get great results.

• Lindsey_CA
    16 years ago

If it's a brand new notebook computer, it should come with a manufacturer's warranty for at least one year. Your daughter should contact the OEM and put in a warranty claim.

• monica_pa Grieves
    16 years ago

at best buy you can not just walk in buy the puter and walk out w/ it. they have to load software on it

This is not correct. I purchased this laptop at Best Buy last spring, and bought it off the shelf, to the cash register. There was no extra software loaded on it, it didn't go neat their tech center.
    The only "extra" software loaded onto it was from the manufacturer = Toshiba.
    I have bought at least one other laptop from them in the past...never had their tech people load anything.

• organic_donna
    16 years ago

I bought a Dell for $500.00 and it lasted a year. I had nothing but problems. Customer service was terrible. What is a good inexpensive laptop that will last longer?
    pattico,
    You need to contact someone very high up at Best Buy corporate. Write a letter and ask for the same computor at the same price.
    Donna

• organic_donna
    16 years ago

oops, I meant to say Acer. I didn't get much sleep last night, my flight was delayed from London 4 hours!
    Donna

• monica_pa Grieves
    16 years ago

I paid $550 for my Toshiba earlier this year.
    No probems at all.

• grammahony
    16 years ago

And Best Buys extended warranty service sucks. I'll never get it again.
    Leslie

• monica_pa Grieves
    16 years ago

All extended warrantys are rip-offs. When you buy one, you're betting in to break.
    If you never buy any warranties, on ananything ,and just put the money aside...you'd have enough money to fully replace anything that does break within the time limit set by any warranty.

• grammahony
    16 years ago

I bought the warranty because I have NO knowledge in the workings of a computer. I wouldn't know if it was broke or just needing some minor adjustment. I wasn't betting on it to break. I was paying for someone who knew more than I if something went haywire. It's a good thing I did. In the end, they ended up replacing almost the entire works in the tower, just before the normal warranty that came with it ran out. But, I didn't know what the problem was. They sent the Geek Squad out, who replaced 3 main parts, free of charge, so it did pay for itself. I just didn't like having to wait 2 weeks between each visit from them with the next new part.
    Leslie

• stephmc72
    16 years ago

I got my DH a GPS from Best Buy for Christmas about 4 years ago. I bought the warrenty from Best Buy. The GPS had some problems and was outside the regular manufacturer warranty and Best Buy replaced it with no problems. Then it happened again and they replaced it again(I had to repurchase the warranty though because you can only use it once) and they replaced it with a completely different brand, which cost more, at no extra cost to my DH, and his current model was still in stock. I was actually really surprised that they did this.

As far as the laptop is concerned, I'm sorry this happened to your daughter. I'd be upset too. If they dont have any of the laptops left, I can see there wouldn't be much they offer her. I'd get it fixed through the manufacturer warranty.

• kittiemom
    16 years ago

Sorry to hear about this. Most computers come standard with a one-year warranty. Check into that - then the manufacturer will have to replace it. Also, try talking to someone different at the store. Sometimes the service you get depends on who you talk to .

Extended warranties are sometimes worth the money. I think it depends on how much the warranty is & what you're buying it for. We bought an extended warranty with our stereo receiver. After two years, it stopped working. We had the option of having it replaced with the current comparable model or buying a more expensive one & applying the money toward that. We took the current model. No way could we have replaced that receiver for $50!

I'm the IT mgr. at work & purchase all the computers. I always buy extended warranties & drop & break warranties for our laptops. There is a lot more chance that someone will damage a laptop by dropping, etc. I don't buy extended coverage on desktops.

• okwriter
    16 years ago

All extended warrantys are rip-offs.

Really? I bought DH a game camera last month for his birthday. It will hang outside on a tree in sleet, snow, rain or 100-degree weather 24/7/365.

The camera cost $550 and came with a 1-year warranty. For $50, I bought two additional years that clearly states "if we can't fix the camera, we'll replace it." I'm curious how this is a rip-off.

• kacram
    16 years ago

"I'm curious how this is a rip-off?"I wouldn't say always!

Most "extended" warranties are not really extended. The run simultaneously with the maufacturers warranty. So if the maufacturer's warranty is 1 year, and you buy a two year, you are basically getting only 1 year of extended warranty.
    All extended warranties hardly cost a thing for the store. MOST extended warranies are never used/ or are totally forgotten about.
    $50 is the cheapest extended warranty I've ever seen! lol
    There is a script for the sales person. I've made many purchases where they try to sell me the EW. Every time I've turned them down the price of the warranty gets "better"! lol I've purchase 2 and never been able to use either. So, from ME they got a couple hundred dollars for free! And mulitply that by probably millions of purchases. They sold my DS an EW on his cell phone. And they TOLD him that it WOULD cover the phone if it got wet. And he had them write it there. Guess what. It didn't. There is !00% commission for THAT salesman. Who is still working there by the way.

Yes, these warranties can be of great help when it's needed, but most are never used.

• monica_pa Grieves
    16 years ago

Because the odds are thousands to one against the camera malfunctioning within the limits of the warranty, in the next 2 years.

Has anyone asked if you accidently run over the laptop (or camera) with your car, that they will replace it???

The warranties pay on malfunctioning with normal use and care.

When I bought my second laptop, the store (Circuit City), harranged me for mnths to buy their extended warranty...a 5 year warranty.
    Every phone call, I repeated that the laptop would be worth nothing more than a doorstop five years after purchase...even if it functioned perfectly.
    The technology moves so fast, that, chances are many products will be obsolete long before these extended warranties end.

• kittiemom
    16 years ago

Good luck your daughter, Patti. She should be fine with the mfg. warranty. Just last week one of our laptops at work died. My asst. contacted Dell & they came out & put in a new motherboard. I'm sure they'll just replace her laptop. Microsoft just replaced DH's xBox. It stopped working only a couple of weeks after he bought it. The retail store would only exchange for seven days, so he had to ship it back. They sent a letter with the new one saying it couldn't be repaired so they replaced it.

• organic_donna
    16 years ago

I personally would not go to the manufacturer's warranty. This is a Best Buy issue and it needs to be resolved with Best Buy. Contact their headquarters. Send a detailed letter of the problem and tell them you want a replacement at the same price. Make sure the letter is sent certified mail. The letter should be polite but firm. Only state the facts and leave out your emotions. Be sure you are contacting the person at the top of customer service.
    Donna

• organic_donna
    16 years ago

Here is the headquarters address and CEO.

Here is a link that might be useful: Best Buy

• Mickey15
    16 years ago

Patti,
    We own a computer repair business and we have to call the manufacturer for people's warranties all the time. Just tell her to call them, and they will take care of her. In most cases they will send a pre-paid box for her to ship it back in also.
    I'm sorry for some people not being very nice here.
    Hugs,
    Tammy
    tammy

• des_arc_ya_ya
    16 years ago

You can say the words "Best Buy" around my DD and she sees daggers. She says that the store that she dealt with on a similar issue was awful. Customer relations is an oxymoron at that store!

Good luck - hope everything works out.

• vannie
    16 years ago

Have these people no heart? It's bad enough to have trouble w/ the computer, but to think she waited so long in the cold is just unbelievable. I don't blame ya'll for being mad--I know people that have had trouble w/ Best Buy. It's a shame they can't get their act together. Bad publicity like this will surely affect their business. I, personally after hearing so many bad stories would never go there. I just got a new TV and didn't even go there to look. I got mine at Sam's.

• ilmbg
    16 years ago

Credit card!! I hope she paid with a card! Always, always use a credit card to pay for anything that is expensive!! That way, she has some recourse! That said, I will find out about my extended warrenty with ACER. I just don't know how long it will take for them- how long I will be without a computer? I must say, it has held up well- it is 1 1/2 years old, is a laptop- that has been dropped a few times- probably has some dog hair in it, as my dog ia also in my lap at the same time. The dog has walked across the keyboard too many times to count. It has gone on 1500 mile trips in a very stiff riding truck- I assume it gets shaken during these trips. Has been left in the trunk of the car overnite in minus degree weather. I just hope they are quick....

• okwriter
    16 years ago

lillie,
    That is so funny! I mean, it's NOT funny that your computer fizzled, but it is such a coincidence. I bought a $1500 Dell laptop about two years ago. Literally ONE WEEK after the initial one-year warranty expired, that thing cratered. I didn't buy the EW, though, so it sounds like you did a good thing to get it! I almost wonder if Dell programs them to poop out at about the same time the manufacturer warranty expires. LOL!

• rosemaryt
    16 years ago

I agree about extended warranties being a big rip-off. I paid $200+ to get an extended warranty on my Toshiba Laptop from Best Buy. When the hard drive crashed, they wouldn't repair it. They kept telling me, "Software conflict." The battery also died and they said, "Well, it still holds a charge, maybe not for as long as you like, but it still works."

I returned the laptop to the store three times, talked to the store manager, wrote the corporate headquarters and despite all that time and effort, they refused to honor their warranty. I came home - frustrated to tears - and threw the laptop into a trash pile. I hate feeling like I've been had.

I will never ever do business with Best Buy again.

Rose

• organic_donna
    16 years ago

Rose,
    I had the same problem with Acer. That's why I would make Best Buy replace it. Otherwise, get your $229.00 back and buy a better computer. I had an expensive Dell and that didn't last much longer.
    Donna

• caflowerluver
    16 years ago

I have a Dell that is going on 6.5 years. It is becoming obsolete because everything requires more memory then it did 6 years ago, but otherwise it works. My DS also has a dell that is over 3 years old and he got the extended warranty which was good because the fan burned out and they replaced it for free. I would recommend Dell.
    Clare

• liz
    16 years ago

Best Buy is high on my list right now...i sent two rebate checks that I recently found pushed to the back of my desk drawer...they were two years old...i sent them to best buy and asked if they could make good on them...they did and I'm 80.00 richer! they could have just as easily said no...so tell your daughter to keep fighting the fight Patti until she is satisfied...

• patches_02
    16 years ago

I never buy the extended warranty when i purchase the item. When it's about time for the original warranty to run out i get mail stating so and wanting me to then get the extended. If you purchase it when you do the item you lose time on it because it starts the same time the original warranty does.

• maryanntx
    16 years ago

Oh gosh Patti! I feel so sorry for your daughter! I would be in tears and mad too if I had sat outside all night in the cold.

It seems that Best Buy isn't going to help (I've always received great customer service from them), so I would contact the manufacturer also. I hope she gets a perfect replacement!

• maybee_gw
    16 years ago

I guess I'm a little hyper about things working...if I buy new I want it to "work"...she might come out all right with the deal, but it's going to take a lot of work on her part to make it right, and that's too bad....makes life so much harder. I HATE for things like this to happen. I have bought one extended warranty and it was on a high-end Dell computer. I had nothing but problems, and my blood pressure was through the roof. I ended up sending it back lock stock and barrell. They fought me a little on this, but I just wanted it gone. And...I was on tech support from India for fourteen hours. Oh well...you've probably all have "war stories" to tell about this tech stuff. Tell her to hang in and keep at it until she satisfied...and I hope she doesn't have a blood pressure problem :o)

• nodakgal
    16 years ago

I'd be mad paying that much money and ending up with something that didn't work.
    I'd hate to be out that amount of money this time of year!

• monica_pa Grieves
    16 years ago

She doesn't have to be out the money. Patti said that the store offered her a refund on the spot, which is all they can do.
    Stores have a limited quantity of these highly marked down items (and at Best Buy, employees are not allowed to purchase them at sale prices).
    It was physically impossible to the store to give her another one of those laptops if they don't have any, and they certainly aren't going to replace it with one that costs double the amount, and take a loss because the manufacturer built a defective item.

The answer is to contact the manufacturer. That's who has the reputation on the line, and the responsibility for the quality of their product.

• gwanny2three
    16 years ago

I'm not one to get ripped off..I will make a big stink if I think I am. My first computer was from Best Buy and we bought the extended warranty and kept it up for 3 years. I knew nothing about computers then and was happy I kept it up because they eventually replaced the entire insides twice over the first 5 years with no problems. Plus if you don't have the EW they wopn't even assist you on the phone to fix minor software, etc. problems, now they charge you so much $$ per call to walk you through some things. My son bought me my current computer at Circuit City and I have the warranty on it to....it too had one major problem in the last 2 years and they fixed it with no promblems also. I do hope your daughter gets this resolved, I would shut up about it until I've exhausted all of my options. I tend to stay in their face until I get results, luckily I've been pretty content for the last 7 years! I know it would have cost me much more in repairs and phone call advice if I didn't have the extended warranty.

Good luck to your daughter....the grumps on here need to chill out!

• Tally
    16 years ago

Yikes! I feel so bad for your daughter. I hope she persists with her complaint - I'm sure it will pay off eventually.

We've bought most of our computers from Dell and have only had one problem. We had a fantastic experience with their customer service, but we had to escalate it up to a supervisor level. She called us back, gave us her pager number and eventually sent someone out to replace the unit when they couldn't debug it over the phone.

Computers are pretty specialized items. I don't think we've ever bought but one from a general appliance store - and that was our first. Since then we've only bought from specialists - Gateway and now Dell.

• bud_wi
    16 years ago

I just don't see what all the hubbub is. Best Buy DID offer a refund so the DD is not out any money. OR there is the option to exercise the manufacturer's warranty which hasn't even been attempted by the DD yet.