SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cynic_gw

Bought 1, now 3 more... have some reading to do!

cynic
13 years ago

Years ago Marcia Adams had a show on PBS shown around here called Cooking from Quilt Country based on her book of the same name. It was about Amish cooking and the end of each show she'd feature a quilt and sometimes some antiques of some type. It was on at the time Justin Wilson, Franco Palumbo and a couple other shows were educating me on cooking on my own since my mother was long gone and unable to help it was either fend fer yerself or eat TV dinners and the latter did not present a viable option. One of the recipes from the show, her stew is one I've adapted and made a number of times. Lots of other recipes on that show that sounded great. Lately I've had to look up the recipe and was thinking about it and ran across an ebay ad for the book for $1.00 plus $4 shipping. I figured for $5 why not? I don't usually buy books but I do enjoy reading cookbooks. OK, so I'm weird. Nolo contendere. The book arrived and I haven't had a chance to look though it too thoroughly yet but was happy with the purchase. Tonight, found 3 more of her books for the same price. I figured I'd get them. When I'm done, my sister likes reading cookbooks too so I'll loan them to her (yeah, she's warped too).

I can't see paying megabucks for books unless they're good reference books you can use. These are cheap and should be some entertainment and reference. I liked Marcia Adams. I was really surprised tonight to read that she's apparently still alive. She had heart trouble and was waiting a long time for a transplant (years ago), had the transplant and I read there were complications. I followed her website on it occasionally then all of a sudden the website was taken down. I guessed she had died and I think I read that she had. Well at least as of a couple years ago she's still alive. Dead or alive, the Amish and Heartland cuisine she would write about is right up my alley.

I liked those old cooking shows. They didn't have the pizazz and subliminal advertisements that today's shows seem to require but they were entertaining and educational, used ingredients normally available to the average person and were within the cooking talents of a novice.

Comments (14)