SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sivyaleah

1-3 Weeks for Permit, Now 4-6 :(

Laurie
13 years ago

When I went for my permits on June 15th I was very specifically told it would take 1-3 weeks to obtain them. I also was told this by a DOB official himself, who said to me it usually take about a week but they say up to 3 weeks on the off chance things take slow and they "look like a hero" if it only takes a week.

So, it's been 2 weeks and I decided to call and check on progress. The woman informs me that oh no, we're working on a 4-6 week schedule, who on earth told you it was 1-3 weeks? We would NEVER say that?

I tell her, that I know what I heard, in fact spoke to a high ranking official himself who told me this. That based on what she is saying it could possibly be another 3 weeks before I get my permits, and, that I have already given my landlord notice based on the other information I was given, that I'd be out by August 15th and to complicate matters - it now appears that I have NO working bathrooms or working kitchen in sight!

Suddenly, she looks at the address again, and my name, and says she remembers me; we'd had a discussion while I was there about how I work in the industry (I work in architecture) and I reminded her again how I do understand about how things work but I also know what I heard and had I just been told 4-6 weeks, I could have planned my life accordingly.

She took some pity on me, and said she would try and speak to the powers that be and that sometimes they do make special considerations for extenuating circumstances (i.e.; I can only assume this means she'll try and put me further on top of the pile?). She took my cell number and said she'd call me back. What "call me back" means, and when is anyone's guess.

I am just beside myself with frustration. My cabinets have been ordered and will arrive in about 3-4 weeks but can't be put in because electrical and plumbing work has to be done/finished. There is major construction to still be done (bathroom relocation). I have an upstairs bathroom with no running water to speak of other than the toilet working. The house, in inhabitable as it stands now, and if it takes 3 more weeks for the work order, I just can't see how everything will be finished in just 3 more weeks from then.

/rant off and goes back to work for now

Comments (10)