SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rosemaryt_gw

My doorbell's most excellent adventure (many pics!!!)

rosemaryt
16 years ago

As many of y'all know, I'm a nut about old houses. Inch by inch, I'm trying to restore my 1920s Colonial to its original condition. My husband won't let me do anything to the kitchen (drat!), but I'm having fun with the other parts of the house.

Like the doorbell chime. The house had a doorbell, but no chime. The wire from the doorbell went into oblivion, so we had to start from scratch.

First, I went looking for the perfect chime. Finally, I found just what I wanted. It was a 1949 vintage NuTone chime - new/old stock. It was still in its original box and had never been used.

Very cool.

As per the the written instructions, I donned a little frilly apron and some high heels and found a step stool and proceded to install the chime.

However, despite my hope and expectation that this crazy expensive door chime would function flawlessly, it turned out that the power unit (the plunger) didn't work.

Perhaps, sometime in the 1950s, someone had opened the box just long enough to drop some oil on it.

The literature promised that I could easily replace and re-order this power unit, in the unlikely event that it failed. However, I used my ultra-modern computer and went online and found that no one had sold this power unit since the years of the Korean War, so I swiped the power unit out of a new chime and did a little retrofit, inserting a new power unit from a 2007 doorbell into the old chime housing.

Then one Friday evening, my husband and I decided that we'd like to spend two hours playing "go fish the wire" and back and forth we went, from the basement to the first floor, wondering where on earth that little wire had gone. Finally, we got the wire into its proper place.

Next, we installed the 1949 K20 NuTone Door Chime in its rightful place, on the wall of our 1924 Colonial.

Now it dings and dongs and it's all very exciting. :)

The End.

Rose

Comments (21)