SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
junkyardgirl

Just found out my friend had a heart attack

junkyardgirl
16 years ago

I thought I had posted this, but I guess not. If so, I can't find it, and I'm sorry for the repost.

I have a very good friend I hadn't heard from in a couple of weeks. It was strange, because we always talk at least once a week. Anyway, I left a couple of messages, and last night he called and told me that he had been in the hospital for 5 days. After literally DRAGGING it out of him, he finally admitted he had a heart attack! This man is 42 years old!

I'm just flabbergasted, and broke into tears thinking of losing him. I suddenly realized that nobody had known to call me. I asked him if he knew what an ICE list is, and he said he did not.

An ICE list is a list of people to contact In Case of Emergency (ICE). You can put it on your cell phone, which is recommended, or on your computer, or anywhere else you like, but you need to let someone know where it is. My sons both have mine. I have two...people to call, and people and places online to contact.

He promised me he would make a list today, and that I would definitely be on it. I reminded him that if he had died, I would never have known, and would have been angry at him for just deserting me without a word for the rest of my life.

I think everyone needs one of these lists. I know I've had friends online who just disappeared and no one ever knew what happened to them. Then I've had ones whose families came and told us they had passed, or whatever, because they had put us on a list. It's better to know that not to know. After 9/11, I had one online friend who I never heard from again, and I'll never know if she was on one of those planes, since I don't have anyone I can contact to find out.

Comments (5)