SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cowhorncreek

Recipes for Pies - Week 2 November 2013

Even though we have tried other pumpkin pie recipes, this is the one we always come back to and determined we will not stray into other recipes again. My cousin sent me these tips that I will try this year:

1. Refrigerate the mixture overnight before baking
2. Simmer the filling for 5 minutes to evaporate some of the moister out.
You will get a more complex flavor from the time, and simmering either before baking or before it goes into the fridge will keep the filling from developing any cracks. Oh and if its grainy you have overcooked it. should be 175F or giggly in the center.

Libby�s Famous Pumpkin Pie - hard to beat!

3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves (we don�t like cloves in this pie so substitute nutmeg)
2 large eggs
1 15-oz. can 100% pumpkin
1 12 fl.-oz. can evaporated milk
1 unbaked 9-inch (4-cup volume) deep-dish pie shell
Whipped cream (optional)

MIX sugar, salt, cinnamon, ginger and cloves or nutmeg in small bowl. Beat eggs in large bowl. Stir in pumpkin and sugar-spice mixture. Gradually stir in evaporated milk. Pour into pie shell.

BAKE in preheated 425� F. oven for 15 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350� F.; bake for 40 to 50 minutes or until knife inserted near center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack for 2 hours. Serve immediately or refrigerate. Top with whipped cream before serving.

NOTES:
1 3/4 teaspoons pumpkin spice may be substituted for the cinnamon, ginger and cloves; however, the taste will be slightly different. Do not freeze, as this will cause the crust to separate from the filling.

FOR 2 SHALLOW PIES: substitute two 9-inch (2-cup volume) pie shells. Bake in preheated 425� F. oven for 15 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350� F.; bake for 20 to 30 minutes or until pies test done.

Comments (24)