SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jel48

So, how old is too old?

jel48
13 years ago

So, how old is too old?

I'm thinking about Lily316's DH and sjerin's 57 year old sister and their falls from the roof/ladder.

I'll be 56 in February, and I wouldn't debate 2 seconds about whether I should climb a ladder and do something (blow leaves or whatever) on a normal (not super steep) roof on a one story house, or probably even on a two story house. So long as the ladder was secure, I'd be up there.

As a side note, I'm in good physical condition. Gary and I work hard at our camp all summer long. We hike and even do a little (easy) climbing. We do maintenance. We build things (cabin, decks, etc, etc). We haul rocks in to camp (up to 350-400 pounds - rolled up a 2x12 plank into the back of our truck). We do pretty heavy labor, and all kinds of fun outdoor activities, and although our bodies aren't nearly as 'forgiving' as they once were, we pretty much do anything that younger people might do.

But... I remember when I was in my late teens or early twenties. My parents were 'older'. My dad was 50 when I was born, so he would have been maybe 70 to mid-70s then. He was a farmer all his life, up until when he was admitted to the hospital at 79 with congestive heart failure (a hospital visit he never came home from). I remember watching him climb a ladder to the top of the corn-crib (a single story) and move around fixing stuff up there. I remember complaining to my mom that 'he acts like he thinks he's still 60'! 60 didn't seem too old (to me) to be doing that stuff, but 70s did.

Then, I remember my mother in law on the garage roof. My husband and I were shingling it for her. She must have been 70ish too, at the time. And we just couldn't keep her down from that roof. She had to be up there helping us! And we thought she was too old to be up there and it worried us tremendously.

SO, my question is, how old is too old to be doing that kind of stuff?

I know it's a personal thing, and has to depend on the physical (and mental) condition of the person who is doing it. There certainly is no one right answer. I'm just looking for thoughts and a good, interesting discussion!

Comments (38)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH