SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cherryfizz

A Whole New World Awaits. LOL

Cherryfizz
15 years ago

I signed up for the internet tonight and will be online Tuesday. Woo Hoooo!

I was going to wait awhile to get the computer hooked up to the internet until I could find the cheapest dial up. My brother stopped over the other day and I was asking him about dial up and he told me to forget about getting it. He said I put up with Webtv long enough and needed to move into the future. LOL He said I needed to forget dial up and go with Bell and get high speed.

My phone bill is $77 a month so I really coudn't afford to have an internet charge tacked onto that. Even getting dial up was pushing my budget limits. When I told Paul I couldn't afford to get DSL let alone dial up he said he would pay the monthly fee for me and would give me the money at the end of the month when he gives me his rent money. I told him I didn' want him doing that but he said he wanted to do it. Okaaay.

Paul called me a few times and asked me if I signed up for the internet yet and I said not yet. So tonight when I was shopping at the small mall I stopped in at the Bell Store and talked to the young clerk behind the counter. I told him I wanted to reduce the charges on my telephone and get DSL for less than what I am paying for my telephone now. I told him the only thing I wanted on my phone was Call Answer and Call Display and the Wire Care and he looked at some bundles and said I can get the internet and the phone for less than what I am paying now. He said he could take care of the internet portion and sign me up tonight and then told me to call Bell Customer Service on Monday and get the cheaper phone bundle and he said I would also get a $5 discount a month. I was thrilled. Feels like a weight was lifted off my shoulders. I hated paying that much for my phone service.

So I signed up for something called Extra Performance. I didn't have to sign a contract either.I told him I didn't want to have a contract because I didn't really know if my used computer would last very long. I was told with the Extra Performance I would be able to download videos and lots of music without having to pay extra for bandwidth like I might have to do if I got the next plan down. He then asked me if I wanted a wireless network connection in my house and I could move my computer from room to room. I told him I didn't have a laptop but he said I might have one in the future and he recommended the wireless. He also said I wouldn't be sharing the iternet with others in th neigbourhood. Whatever that means?

On Tuesday if I can get someone to install everything for me I will be up and running and hopefully be able to post pictures here like you all do.

I am worried though because I don't have a Security Package yet. I know I can download a free one. I just don't know which one is the best. I know about running spyware scans, etc. I was safe with Webtv because I didn't have to worry about my system being infected. I am still going to keep my Webtv for emails, etc. I don't know anything about the computer yet except to turn it on. I've been playing a Scrabble game I bought. I have the computer in the kitchen and can't sit in front of it long because I haven't the proper chair. I loaned my friend a new computer chair years ago and I am asked her tonight if I could get it back. She only uses it when I come over and we sit together at her computer. I don't like the idea of having a computer chair in m kitchen because it doesn't fit in with the decor. LOLOL

I called Paul when I got home to tell him I signed up for the Internet and he said that was good. I told him the cost and he said "no worries"

Now I can look for recipes online and instead of writing it down or having to go back and forth to the living room to read the recipe while I am making something now I will have the recipe onscreen in the kitchen with me.

I can't wait! I may never get any housework done now. What have I done! LOLOL

Anne

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath