SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gabro14

My new purchases (and still awaiting more!!)

gabro14
15 years ago

That "hawaiian grower" is just the BEST! I have been wanting H. chlorantha (gorgeous colored blooms) and H. mindorensis (I had one, but it recently died on me).

Here is my H. chlorantha that I received today from Carol, and it has a peduncle, so I'm hoping for blooms relatively soon:

{{gwi:992293}}

And now for the most exciting part! She was only able to send me a cutting of H. mindorensis, and it's blooming!!! I never thought I'd see these blooms in person. The cutting is HUGE, and the blooms are still opening. I am ecstatic!

{{gwi:992294}}

{{gwi:992295}}

Here is the unrooted cutting prior to potting it up:

{{gwi:992296}}

And after potting it up:

Thanks so much for looking and sharing in my excitement!!

Gabi

Comments (59)

• shanna5
    15 years ago

Great hoyas Gabi...

shanna

• mdahms1979
    15 years ago

Gabi I love the mindorensis and what a huge cutting, you must have been shocked when you opened the package. I wish I were able to order big healthy Hoyas plants like you get from Carol but I guess I will just have to stick with cuttings for now.

Mike

• Related Discussions

Cut back my knock out rose by 6 inches or more will it still bloo

Q

Comments (5)
    I am a first year gardner, and I got mad at my Knockouts because they had black spot last year I had cleaned the leaves away and cleaned up the entire area...free of any dieased leaves, and this year they had black spot on their canes.....So, I hacked them back to about 6 inches, in March, and now they are soooo healthy looking....and I started treating them now for black spot....I figured it is better to start controlling it now. and not let it get a headstart. Whether they will bloom, I dunno, but the bushes look great and healthy! :)
    ...See More

my long awaited flowers.....

Q

Comments (5)
    Hi, off to the airport in 5hrs...at 2.30am!! Checked the buds, they are opening further, a couple of days and they will be fully open I guess, just my luck! Oh well. My house minder is a dummy with a camera....so her hubby says! Hope to see 'something' of them when we get back next Thursday, and maybe the other two clusters later on. Byeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Gill.
    ...See More

Pics----My long awaited laundry room!

Q

Comments (33)
    Thanks for the additional comments! I love logging in to find new responses for our exciting new room. Superlady, the sign "When I said 'I Do' I didn't mean laundry" is from a lady who made the sign on ebay--she was really nice to work with and has an email that she sends out where you can pick your background paint and any extra details. Below is a link to some of her auctions. Here is a link that might be useful: ShabbySigns on ebay
    ...See More

My long awaited light fixture arrived!

Q

Comments (5)
    marti - no, the woman I talked to immediately said they'd ship a new one and that she was noting on it to put it IN a packing box this time. I told her I didn't know if the globes were broke, that I hadn't even opened them yet. She said, don't worry about it - they probably are. She did express wonderment that anyone would ship something w/o putting it in a packing box. I know I was shocked to see it on my steps like that. She said they'd put a claim in w/ UPS and they'd deny it (as they should) and then they'd move the claim on to the mfgr. Whoever shipped it out is the responsible party. thx shades. It's real similar to the one I'd posted about some time back. I was about ready to order one only to find it no longer available - it had 2 lights on it and was about 30.00. The only one I could find like it was 82.00 - a lot more than I wanted to spend. But I would have done it if I hadn't rechecked what was available online before actually ordering. I found the one I posted above - it has 3 lights instead of 2, is 10" longer and pewterish rather than nickel. but I think I can live with those differences for less than half the price. It was only 32.00 or 34.00 I forget which. I did need each light part to swivel - and this one does also. And use regular bulbs - I'll have to buy up a good supply of them! I don't think the color will even matter in my bathroom w/other nickel/silverish metals used. It'll be up on the ceiling and I seldom look up there. previous fixture I was going to order -
    ...See More
  • gabro14
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Hills, that makes me feel better about leaving the flowers on. I know that some people cut leaves in half when propagating to put more energy into root development, but I couldn't do that either! So we'll see. I think I'll cut it into 2 cuttings. I really want the part with the peduncle to live!

Nicole,
    You are right...every plant from Hawaii has been a treat! She's very generous and grows such healthy plants. You MUST go to Meadowbrook if you have the chance! Just make sure you get in touch with them first and check if the "hoya area" is open. You can probably still get hoyas that are for sale, but the best part is the area where they keep their stock plants. Have fun if you go, and be sure to post pics!

Gabi

• gabro14
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Mike (MikeDahms)...I just saw your post (I must've been posting when you were posting).
    Yes, I was extremely shocked when opening the package! I asked Carol if she had mindorensis for sale, but she could only send a cutting, so I was expecting a small cutting - and then I get this huge cutting with blooms!! My knees went weak!! She's so sweet.

Gabi

• gabro14
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ok...so I came home from work and cut the cutting into 3 pieces. Thanks Mike for your advice.

It's so strange that the umbel opened even more, even though there are no roots! Here's a pic of the almost fully opened blooms:

And here's a pic of the repotted cuttings:
    {{gwi:992299}}

Thanks again for everyone's comments and advice!!

Gabi

• ima_digger
    15 years ago

Gabi, what great plants. That mindorensis is just 'to die for'. The flower is so beautiful. I'm sure you'll enjoy both of them.

• treelover3
    15 years ago

Hey Gabi,
    Looks great! I'm glad you decided to cut the large cutting into smaller pieces. Once rooted you can put all of the cuttings into one pot and that will help fill the pot with roots faster so the plant will potentially bloom faster.

It's too bad that the flowers have no scent. Since these flowers are so unique and beautiful, they should have an incredible scent, IMHO. (:o) Oh well, I guess we can't have everything! (:o)
    Take care...
    Mike

• haxuan
    15 years ago

Gabi, I must say also that you're so lucky to get a healthy cutting with a blooming peduncle! The flower looks so pretty. Congrats and thanks for sharing.

Xuan

• puglvr1
    15 years ago

Gabi...Wow!! What a great cutting!! Already blooming to boot and what a beautiful color! You are so lucky!! Enjoy your new hoya!!

• gabro14
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Mike. I always root my cuttings in the soil and pot that it will grow in, so they will already be in that one pot and look just like it looks now.
    Yes, you'd think they'd have a delicious scent by the way they look!

Thanks Ima, Xuan, and Pug :)

Gabi

• gabro14
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, I got the rest of my hoyas! THAT'S IT until next year...I'm thinking that since I wrote that, I have no choice but to stick to it (yeah right).

Here's H. retusa, which I'm been wanting for quite some time.
    {{gwi:992300}}

Here's H. sp. Square. The one I had from Asiatica bit the dust.
    {{gwi:992301}}

And I also got my linearis today (from online EA). It's very healthy and HUGE (in an 8" pot), and I hope I can keep it alive.

Did anyone else get their EA linearis?

Gabi

• cpawl
    15 years ago

Gabi, Very nice hoyas. Good luck with them.

Cindy

• puglvr1
    15 years ago

Nice hoyas Gabi, I especially like the sp. Square...I need to put that one on my wish list. Thanks for sharing!

• mdahms1979
    15 years ago

Nice plants Gabi. Hoya retusa is just so different from other Hoyas, a real curiosity. I hope you do well with the sp. square it looks like a nice healthy plant.

Mike

• cena60
    15 years ago

Boy, Gabi you surged ahead in the hoya... er, um, collection phase.

I remember 'in the beginning', then you started quoting folks, then I'd see your name here, there, all the places that Hoyas hang.

You've got quite the stupendous collection going there!
    Thanks for being so generous with your photos, your knowledge and your enthusiasm!!!

• hills
    15 years ago

Well I may be jealous of your linearis, as mine looks like your retusa, but look at my retusa:

This poor plant has been blooming away to itself practically for the past couple of weeks - although I always try and make time to enjoy the blooms when I go past it and the freesia-like smell that comes from it. Gabi, is your pot a bit big, or is it just my eyes?

Love the sp square. And I've seen some nice photos of its blooms too. I think it's on my "when I find some more space and light" list!

• gabro14
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow. That's gorgeous Hills!!

Hills, that pot of linearis is an 8" pot - so yes, it's as big as it looks!

I hear ya Mike! Aren't linearis and retusa just the strangest hoyas?

Thanks everyone else for your kind words :)

Gabi

• kellyknits
    15 years ago

Hills,
    Ditto on that retusa! Can't wait for mine to look like that!

Gabi,
    Did you get your retusa and lyi or sp square on ebay? They look familar....

Kelly

• PRO
    Jan Sword-Rossman Realty 239-470-6061
    15 years ago

Congrats!!! on all of your new plants!!! just gorgeous. Gabi, where did you get the sp square?
    Hills, your retusa is beautiful. Mine are fighting mealies at the moment but 1 of the plant I got from Saint Pete is flowering. I have 3 diffrent source of retusa cuttings/plants in a pot.
    Jan

• gabro14
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes, I got the sp. Square from Ebay (from someone in Thailand...can't remember the seller's name).

Is retusa a fast grower? Early bloomer?

Gabi

• kellyknits
    15 years ago

My retusa has been a moderate grower at times. Thus far I wouldn't say it's ever been fast. It has blasted buds, so it may be an early bloomer!

My sp. Square from Asiatica has just sent out two decent vines - I'm so pleased!

These are both great hoyas!

• PRO
    15 years ago

My flowering retusa is really small so I guess it is early bloomer but slow grower for me.
    Maybe I'll get sp square from same seller, I was afraid the plant will get dried out but yours looks good.

• treelover3
    15 years ago

Gabi,
    Great plants!

Do you have a plant import permit? I wanted to bid on some of the plants from that same seller in Thailand, but needed to wait until I got my import permit. How long did it take you to get the plant from Thailand?
    Thanks,
    Mike

• gabro14
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for all your input on H. retusa. Hopefully I'll see those gorgeous blooms soon.

Mike, I don't have a plant import permit. I got the plants 8 days after I paid for them. Now that's FAST!

Jan, the seller ships the plants in spaghnum moss, so it stays pretty moist. I'll have to change it to my mix when it dries out, but it's pretty rootbound in the moss, so that's gonna be a task.

Gabi

• treelover3
    15 years ago

Hi Gabi,
    Wow, really? Maybe I will order a couple from him and try my luck!
    Thanks,
    Mike

• gabro14
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Mike,

There are 2 sellers from Thailand (both names start with the letter A). The one that I bought mine from is Apodagis.

Good luck,
    Gabi

• treelover3
    15 years ago

Hi Gabi,
    Thanks, that is the same seller I was going to buy from.

I'll have to take a look and see what they have for sale. It is getting kind of late in the year for me to be receiving plants, but, what the heck, it's for a new hoya and I want every hoya out there no matter where in the world it is! (:o)

(man, this really is a sickness, isn't it? Oh well, I guess being strung out on hoyas is better than being strung out on drugs!!! If you see me lying in the gutter clutching my hoyas, please throw me a quarter!!! (:o))
    Thanks again,
    Mike

• cpawl
    15 years ago

Mike very funny but true. I also have have the sickness, Its like all i think about. How Im I going to find my next hoya.

Cindy

• kellyknits
    15 years ago

Mike-

Chances are when I see you in the ditch while I'm traveling down the side of the street pushing my grocery cart full of hoyas with my two dogs and kitties trailing me, I won't be able to afford to part with that quarter; however, I'll be happy to stop and share somes blooms with you!

Yep, it's an illness....

I want to order from Thailand just because I now know I can....

Kelly

• treelover3
    15 years ago

Well, pull up a cardboard box and sit a spell...we can all sit around and sniff hoya blossoms while we're in the gutter because we spent all of our cash on hoyas.

I'll actually take any amount of cash you can afford to throw so I can get (order) my next "fix". I hear that you can get REALLY good stuff from Thailand at very reasonable prices!!!
    (shaking nervously while I go through hoya-ordering withdrawal) (:o)

• kellyknits
    15 years ago

Too funny!

• treelover3
    15 years ago

Kelly,
    It will feel just like home with the cats, dogs and hoyas. We'll need to find some plastic to put over your cart so we can make a make-shift greenhouse for the colder winter months. We may even be able to scrounge up some windows somewhere and put them together for a more permanent home for the hoyas. (:o)

Cindy,
    We can all work together to find our next "fix". We will probably need to go to a library and use the public computers to place our orders and for a place to have our plants shipped.

Gabi,
    I don't want you to feel left out! We can make our own huge hoya-compound and everyone is welcome! We can sit around and nervously sniff our hoya flowers trying to scrape up money for our next hoya fix!
    (OK, enough silliness, sorry to have hijacked your thread, Gabi!)
    Mike
    tl³
    aka hoyalover3 / hl³

• gabro14
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hijack away! This is hilarious!!

I'm glad you decided to include me into your hoya compound. After all, I'm the one who is enabling you all to get some of that great Thailand "stash".

And I'll volunteer to "prostitute" some of my foliage - bloom prostitution will cost extra of course.

Gabi

• PRO
    15 years ago

You guys & gals are just too funny!!! I am glad I am not addicted to hoyas as much as you all. hahaha hehehe

• tillytrotter
    15 years ago

Wow fab plant and cuttings,you are so lucky to be able to order plants from carol,i visit her site often and drool over her plants.

We are not that lucky in the uk,hardly anyone sells decent size plants or cuttings.

Hills where did you get that fab retusa from ?

• treelover3
    15 years ago

Hi Gabi,
    I have not received my hoya from the Thailand seller yet. Did you receive your plant in 8 days or 8 business days? I paid for my plant on 10-24-08, but have not seen it yet. Hopefully, it's just taking longer than normal. Keeping my fingers crossed.
    Mike
    tl³
    hl³

• gabro14
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Mike,

Sorry you didn't receive it yet. Have you emailed the seller? I received mine in 8 days total from the day I paid for them (not 8 business days). You should be fine - hopefully he/she sent them in a medium that stays wet for a long period of time. But since it's been 13 days, I just worry about the weather and such - I'd ask the seller when it was sent out and when it should be arriving. Also try to get a tracking number. Was it sent via regular postal mail?

I am keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Gabi

• treelover3
    15 years ago

Hi Gabi,
    Thanks for the reply. No, I have not emailed the seller yet. I will wait and see if the package is in my mailbox when I get home and if it isn't, then I will send an email.

Yes, I think it was sent via regular postal mail, but not sure what that is when sent from Thailand? I'll see if I can get a tracking number.
    Thanks again,
    Mike

• o7sugar
    15 years ago

Hey!!! Since it's Gabi's and Eddie's "fault" that I got hooked onto hoya and epi and now possibly Schlums!!!aaaaahhhhh I'm definately going to need a spot in that compound when my husband divorces me!!! I'm already trying to figure out how I'm going to get that next set of hoya and epi, and now schlum!!! I'm going to have to do some horing out of my plants as well. Trades welcome!!!! :)
    Jan - The only reason your probably not as addicted as us, is because you have quite a few, and alot that flower for you!! :):):) I don't know about anyone else, but I'm dying to see more flowers, and I still haven't been able to get my "GOTTA HAVE HOYA" yet.
    What's a girl to do?? ;)
    -Nicole-

• treelover3
    15 years ago

Well, Nicole, which is your "GOTTA HAVE HOYA"? Inquiring minds want to know...
    Mike

• o7sugar
    15 years ago

Mike, MY GOTTA HAVES are: sigillatis, praetorii, flagellata (aka. TN-99-024), pandurata, and sp. flat stem.
    I of course have many many more wants, but those are my top 5 gotta haves :D
    -Nicole-

• haxuan
    15 years ago

Hey, that Apodagis guy got some hoya cuttings from me, litterally FREE! I got an email from him, asking to trade with me for my "Monster Hoya". Since he's from Thailand, I knew it'd cost me a ton of $$$ of shipping charge, so I told him I'd gladly send him some of my cuttings free but he'd have to pay for postage, which he did very promptly. I sent him 3 cuttings, 1 of that Monster Hoya (still a NOID up to now) and two other cuttings I got from the jungle! He paid me $1/cutting + postage!

I hope if he succeeds in making multiple pieces of the hoya cuttings he got from me, he would sell them to you guys over there at a very reasonable price!

Xuan

• hills
    15 years ago

Hi Tilly, sorry not to get back to you earlier. The retusa came from Ebay off a seller called epric_stichting. They also have an online site at Epric.org - this link should send you directly to where they're selling cuttings of Hoya retusa. A recommended seller, I've been drooling over his baskets of Hoya picta and Hoya pauciflora but am still trying to decide where I would put them and whether I can really justify shelling out nearly £30 for them!

I would also recommend Paul Shirley Succulents as another good place to buy Hoyas.

Of course, I would caution against buying hoyas at this time of year due to the cold, it would be better to wait until Spring when it's warmer (ha!) to get your plants...

Hope that helps, Hills

• mdahms1979
    15 years ago

Paul Shirley is a great place to get Hoyas but I don't believe that he ships to the U.S.

Mike

• hills
    15 years ago

You are right Mike - it looks like you have to contact him specially if you are from the US. It's OK though because Tilly's in Ireland, so would be fine.

• treelover3
    15 years ago

Gabi,
    I received my Hoya from Thailand! WooHoo!
    Mike

• tillytrotter
    15 years ago

Hi hills,no problem.
    Too late i already ordered the pauciflora and serpens a while back from epric on ebay,they have not arrived yet though but i find he does take a while to send plants.

I bought a picta several weeks ago from germany,it is a scrawney little thing though that will take years to grow into a decent plant.

Paul s is my next port of call LOL.

• hills
    15 years ago

That's interesting - usually Epric is fairly fast for me.
    If you get the pauciflora, and you get a big one, are you interested in trading next year?
    The picta I received I spent months trying to root, but just never managed to.

• gabro14
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Alright Mike!!

How did they arrive? Were they still healthy? I'm assuming they were from your excitement. Which ones did you get?

Gabi

• treelover3
    15 years ago

Hi Gabi,
    Yes, the plant was very healthy! I only received one plant and it was Hoya kerrii 'Albo-marginata Spot'. It's beautiful. The plant has, well, mostly white leaves splashed with greenish spots. It's very nice. H. kerrii is typically pretty slow growing so I am sure I have a while to wait before I see that the leaves will look like growing in my conditions.
    Mike

Sponsored