SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
susan_on

Want your opinion...am I being too harsh?

susan_on
15 years ago

Last week a young local man died of leukemia at the age of 25. It was incredibly sad...and the funeral was today. He got married 15 months ago, and his wife is 23. Since their marriage, they have been putting jars around the local businesses and running fund raising events for money for his leukemia treatments. Every now and then the newspaper would run an article telling people where they could send money to help him. I saw no problem with this, and thought it was nice that people were doing what they could to help this young couple.

Now I find out that my husbands cousins daughter is best friends with the wife. She said that while the young man was going through treatments, the couple were pursuing some sort of fertility treatment (not sure if it was in vitro, or what), and they spent $7,000 on fertility treatments (which didn't take). I think this was wrong, as when people fund raise for medical treatment, it is presumed that the parties involved have no other funds available to them. My mil is kind of shocked that I am thinking this way....it never occurred to her to think this way. I feel that their priority should have been spending the $$ to save his life, or at least let people be aware that they did have other funds that they wished to spend on something else.

What do you think?

Comments (21)