SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
janie_ga

Elmo is missing :-(

janie_ga
13 years ago

I just got home and Eric said he has not seen Elmo all day. Elmo was sitting in the hall peaking through the banister when I left at 5:45 this morning.

Please say a prayer for him, he is not the brightest bulb and has not spent a night outside since we got him in 2002.

Comments (35)

• mariend
    13 years ago

I am asuming the Elmo is a cat? dog? Hope he shows up and did you look under beds--in closets--garage-- boxes--

• nodakgal
    13 years ago

Elmo GO HOME!! Please!

Look around the foundation of where you live, odds are if he got outside he didn't go far in unfamiliar territory!

• Related Discussions

Cub Cadet misses badly

Q

Comments (3)
    I would think that I would look closer at the carb and at things such as fuel delivery issues. Did you use a kit when rebuilding the carb? Anything unusual there? Inner jets all came out if serviceable? You want to ensure a good flow of fuel from the tank , so fuel cap vents checked, proper fuel filter renewed, lines should be flushed and replaced if they are questionable- especially if your engine has a fuel pump. What is the model #? Kohler.com has manuals online- log in as a guest user.
    ...See More

More Bertolonia species

Q

Comments (4)
    Hi Gary; I do write about gesneriads a lot, so I should have mentioned up there that these aren't. Their family is the Melastomataceae, and the only other plant in that family I've seen much of is Tibouchina, the purple 'Princess Flower'. There are occasionally other members of the family offered as houseplants, like Monolina and Centradenia. On the other hand, these Bertolonias do best well in the same warmish, humid conditions that suit many gesneriads, begonias, and and the jewel orchids, along with the rest of the good tropical terrarium plants. I wish they were easier to find. It has taken many years to cobble together this tiny collection! Once your 150 gets going it should be a lot of fun!
    ...See More

Baby Intelligence Needed

Q

Comments (17)
    It's so nice to be able to help and to feel somewhat knowledgeable about something, in this world of too much information! I.e., keep 'em coming. :) Your grandson will love the wagon! We have two (hope my mother's not reading this): one from DM and one from DF - separately, as they're divorced - and we all have had a good time. There is a difference, supposedly, in durability (rubber vs plastic wheels, types of shocks, etc.). The plastic wheels are too loud on a sidewalk to carry on a conversation over. There are also a lot of add-ons that I don't remember from my childhood, such as clip-on umbrellas. Still haven't tried any of that stuff. Another great toy for this age is anything ride-on. I found this at a local used childrens' store. I was afraid it was one of those things that just met my unfulfilled childhood fantasies; but my kids love it, too. Here is a link that might be useful: Retro Rocket
    ...See More

elmo is home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Q

Comments (62)
    I am SO happy for you! I also had a tuxedo kitty, so when I saw Elmos pictures, I turned to mush. My boy was 20 yrs old when I had to put him down last Feb. He was mine, & I was "his person" I don't think I'll ever have another cat that was so attached to me or I to him. I still miss him so. I still have 2 more girls I love dearly, but he was "the one". I'm so happy that Elmo's back home safe & sound! And please give the little guy a big hug & kiss for me. Oh, and a good talking to about scaring his Mom so bad!
    ...See More
  • lydia1959
    13 years ago

I hope you find the little stinker soon! My cat ran out earlier today, but we saw him and got him back in the house with the promise of treats.

Keep us updated ((Janie))!

• phyllis__mn
    13 years ago

That is so scary when you cannot find the little stinkers....hope he's just taking a long leisurely nap.

• Nita__AZ
    13 years ago

I hope you can find him. Cats are notorious for getting in someplace and not coming out until they are darn good and ready. The one good thing about cats is that if they get out they don't run down the street like a dog would, they will sniff out the area and take their time checking things out.

Years ago we had a declawed house cat that got out and was missing since early morning. I was sick with worry and had been out calling him for hours. Bed time came and he still hadn't been found. The next morning when we got up he was sitting on the doorstep wanting to come in for breakfast.

• Terri_PacNW
    13 years ago

Hmmmm....did he accidentally lock himself in somewhere and took a nap..so he's not calling for rescue yet?

• bigfoot_liz
    13 years ago

does he eat canned food??? maybe take the can opener outside and open a can of foodies so he can hear it. or if it's dry maybe loudly pour food in a bowl outside. does he respond to certain phrases? my sandy was just outside barking w/ our neighbors' vicious dog, ignoring me and all i had to saw was "daddy's coming home...& come get your cheese" and she comes running. my childhood dog used to dig out constantly, not even pouring a concrete trench under all the fencing stopped him. it was horrible walking the streets and alleys looking and calling for him every week. to say that caused me to be obsessed w/ my girls never running away is an understatement. i have a double gate system on both sides of the house, double front doors and soon will get an iron gate put in 10' before you get to the front door.

that is the worst feeling janie, i really hope you find him soon! poor thing must be scared out of his mind! ~ liz

• janie_ga
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Bigfoot, Eric tried the wet cat food before I got home. He responds to "wanna take a walk- but you also have to show him the leash" and "wanna take a nap". He does not like cat treats, just catnip and I have no idea how to make that sound loud.

I just put our two giant signs in the front yard. Will have to post some around the neighborhood tomorrow.

I looked under our and our neighbor's shed. That is where he tries to go when he is on his leash. We do not have bushes and I checked under the neighbor's bushes. They also have a big lab that Elmo does NOT like. They are not home but they should see the sign when they drive up.

He is just so stupid- sweet but stupid! Our street is very straight and flat (by WV standards) so people like to practically drag race down it. I am not sure he would know to get out of the way.

Stewie and Ara are acting all weird now because they can tell something is wrong. Stewie keeps going to the front screen door snooping.

• susanjf_gw
    13 years ago

open all the closet doors...my poor bonnie got locked in once...we were racing aorund and she must have scooted in there, and i shut the door...

• Jasdip
    13 years ago

My cats love jumping on top of the towels in the linen closet.
    Last week I was hearing some pawing at a door, but didn't think much of it. Bud likes pawing at the sides of the kitty litter box when he's finished.

The sound lasted, and I looked down the hall, and Roxie was sitting, looking at the linen closet door. Yep, the door was accidentally closed when he was sleeping in there (unbeknownst to us)

I hope with all my heart Elmo returns soon.....it's dark here now, so you must be a wreck. The poor baby...

• janie_ga
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Closet doors are always open because Ara freaks out if we close them. Towel stack was the first place I looked, he is notorious for getting in there and ignoring the world. I even climbed up the ladder and looked in the drop ceiling, lol.

Every once in a while, I walk around calling his name- Ara and Stewie come running but no Elmo. I am afraid that he was snooping around and got spooked by a car, dog, or deer- and took off and is now lost. He has never been beyond our yard and probably has no idea how to get home. We got him in 2002 when he walked in our house and started taking a bath. We never figured out where he came from. He was about 9 months old (according to the vet when we took him to get fixed) and has been an inside cat ever since.

• cynic
    13 years ago

Don't forget cupboards and the like too. Maybe sit outside and talk for a while. If nearby he might come to the sound of your voices. Not knowing if they're inside or outside is so frustrating. And keep an eye on the others, they can hear things you can't. Might let you know if he stops by the door.

Get on home Elmo, you're late for din-din.

BTW, contact all the "pounds" vets and the like in the area. Drop off pictures if you can. Someone might bring him in.

Keep us posted. Best wishes to you and Elmo.

• FlamingO in AR
    13 years ago

I hope he shows up soon, Janie. I know that horrible feeling when one of them goes missing.

Please listen really hard when the house is quiet, you might just hear him calling for you from some unknown hidey-hole.

Fingers crossed!

• linda_in_iowa
    13 years ago

I hope he appears soon. My Gidget slipped out twice today and tried to get out a third time. She isn't very bright and the first time she went through the back fence into a neighbor's yard. I drove around the block and finally caught her. All 3 of the kitties are indoor cats but Gidget was a stray when I got her.
    I will hold good thoughts for Elmo.

• sheilajoyce_gw
    13 years ago

We lost our cat for several days. Finally I had neighbors on either side of us open their garage doors and car trunks. Days later, probably about 5 total, I found her sound asleep in a dresser drawer right next to our bed. She never made a peep and was in no hurry to get up and out of the drawer. It was a drawer I almost never open. She was lucky I opened it!

• alisande
    13 years ago

Gosh, Janie, I hope you find him soon. I know what an awful feeling it is when they're not home safe. But cats are resourceful, and Elmo might be smarter than you think. (Maybe he's just quietly smart.) Looking forward to hearing good news from you.

• FlamingO in AR
    13 years ago

I'm hoping to hear good news this morning, Janie. Any sign of Elmo?

• janie_ga
    Original Author
    13 years ago

No luck this morning. We kept the doors open until after midnight. When I went to bed, I put one of the cats' play houses outside in case he came home.

It is raining today so I hope he found a nice old lady to let him inside. I had to come to school and Eric has to work all day. I have the numbers for all the vets in Clarksburg, Nutter Fort, and Bridgeport and will begin calling them soon. Also found the number for the county humane society but have not found the pound (not sure Harrision County has one). With everything going on last night, I forgot to charge my phone so keep your fingers crossed that I can make all the calls before it dies (it is long distance from work to the house area).

Thanks, Janie

(if we have any psychic here, maybe you can tell me where he is or at least if he is not hurting.)

{{!gwi}} {{!gwi}}

• Rudebekia
    13 years ago

Drop a couple of used T shirts or socks around the perimeter of your yard. Cats find their way home by smell. This has worked for a lot of people.

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    13 years ago

You might try posting on Freecycle. When I posted about my lost Furbaby, 2 (I think) different Humane Societies contacted me with info and suggestions. Below is a link to finding a Freecycle. It is free to join and to post to. You can also post a pic to the Photo file, or can at my local one.

Good luck...My furbaby (about 1 year old dog) was gone for 7 days and just showed up here at home in the middle of the night, and was just fine...almost like she had been tied up and cared for somewhere else.

Here is a link that might be useful: Freecycle

• socks
    13 years ago

I am so sorry. I know how awful it is to worry about a missing pet.

• country_bumpkin_al
    13 years ago

I was really hoping he'd returned by this morning!! Sending thoughts that he finds his way home!!

• nicole__
    13 years ago

My guess....he's spending his time washing himself...sitting close by ignoring you.:0) When he gets hungry he'll show up....

• kacram
    13 years ago

I'm sorry, Janie! I was so hoping he would be home
    this morning. Crossing my fingers for his safe return.

• country_sunshine
    13 years ago

He is one handsome Tuxedo Cat.... and I pray he returns soon... Has he been "altered"? If not, then perhaps is out courting. I sure hope he gets home soon.

Carolyn

• janie_ga
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Country, we got him fixed "just as he was about to learn to spray"... aka within 2 weeks of him showing up at our house at about 9 months old. I feel sure he was snooping around the house and the dog next door or a car spooked him. Ceaser is a big, black lab with a menacing bark but very lovable. Of course, Elmo just sees a a slobbering mass coming at him. I just got off the phone with the local paper and they are putting an ad with his picture in the paper for a week. When I leave work I am headed to the humane society and pound with flyers. And will stop by the vets int he area- thank goodness there are only about 5-6 vets in Clarksburg/Bridgeport. Still waiting on a call from the city dog catcher to see if he will keep an eye out for him. I hate to think about it but I am trying to figure out who is in charge of animals that lose the battle with cars.

I have only lost one cat and that was Christmas 1998 or so. She was an indoor/outdoor cat and lost a fight with a pair of dogs that had gotten out of their fence. My dad and brother found her about a week later. I vowed to have indoor cats when I moved out on my own.

• evatx
    13 years ago

I hope Elmo makes his way back home very, very soon!

• Terri_PacNW
    13 years ago

My childhood cat went missing for a few weeks..well she and her brother..but he returned a few days later...a few weeks later..here she is..smelling of "old lady" perfume..LOL

She was well cared for and loved..but I think she made a hasty exit as soon as she had the opportunity...She was mine from kittendom to old lady...I had her for 16 plus years.

• FlamingO in AR
    13 years ago

My Murphy went missing (just this time of year, too) once for the longest 5.5 days of my life, Janie. I was so upset and called and looked and hoped and then I thought I'd never see him again. I was calling Beeswax one night, calling and calling, and lo and behold, Murphy showed up! He was really thin. I think he'd been stuck up in a tree that whole time and was too chicken to come down, but hearing me call and call his brother did the trick. He had a case of laryngitis when he left, so if he was crying up in that tree, I couldn't hear him.

I was elated when he came home, as you can imagine. I can't wait to hear that you're feeling that, too, any minute now, when you find Elmo or he finds you! Fingers still crossed..... you're doing all you can, take comfort in that!

• alisande
    13 years ago

I love tuxedo cats, Janie!! I can just imagine how you're feeling now. I just want to add that with all the many pets we've had over the years, and several heart-wrenching disappearances, the cats eventually came back. One, like Flamey's, returned home very thin (and a bit banged up), but he was visibly glad to see me.

It's possible that Elmo is not far away. It's also possible someone picked him up. We've had that experience, too. We found her after we ran an ad in the newspaper. A lot of papers offer free Lost and Found ads. I would give it a try if you haven't already. Also the local radio station(s). Have you contacted the humane societies? Also, put up a notice at the veterinary offices.

• shea
    13 years ago

Oh Janie, I'm so sorry you are having such a worry about your beloved Elmo. He is a beauty! It sounds like you have thought of everything. A friend of mine lost her cat last spring, and on the third or fourth day, she found him huddled under a neighbor's porch. Chances are Elmo is hiding somewhere and will come out when he gets really hungry, or forgets what he was afraid of/hiding from.

We once had a dog whose elevator didn't go all the way to the top either, and whenever he would disappear (he was an escape artist) it was hard to determine where he might be, because logic didn't enter into it. LOL. But he always turned up, and I think your Elmo will, too.

(((Janie)))

• danihoney
    13 years ago

Our Pixie went missing for six days a couple years ago. We were so sad. She's an indoor cat that we'd let roll around on the patio. Our house was surrounded by an alfalfa field and it was full of little yellow moths. I think she chased them and found herself far from home and got scared. We did posters and ads but really thought she was gone for good. One evening DH was working in the yard and came in and said 'I keep thinking I hear Pixie meowing'. He thought he was hearing things because she wouldn't come when he called. Finally he walked in the direction of her cry and there she was, skinny and scared under a shrub in the front yard. Bless her little kitty heart.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed your Elmo is home soon.

• Jasdip
    13 years ago

I keep hoping that one of these posts will be you, shouting from the rooftops that Elmo came home.

He IS a gorgeous cat. I love his name, and wonder how he came by it. Gosh I hope he comes home soon. I can imagine the fears you're going through.

• alisande
    13 years ago

Danihoney's post reminded me of something you might try if you haven't already: Go outside at night, when it's quiet, and just listen.

As I typed the above, Pogo jumped into my lap. I think he's saying, "That's a good idea!"

• janie_ga
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Elmo means "friendly" and since he just walked into our house and started taking a bath, I decided he must be the friendliest cat around!

Alisande, that is what I did last night. It was comforting to see people slow down to read the reward signs int he front yard. Also had people who were out walking stop to talk.

Just got a call from the lady that is looking for her B&W cat that also went missing in our neighborhood (hers has been gone a week or so). She is leaving a picture at our house so we can cover each other's bases.

Eric just left the pound (and humane society) and said it was a good think I did not go. They have a female twin to Elmo, she was sitting but the face marking are identical. It kind of freaked out the guys working there so we think they will be more vigilant in looking for him. The guy took Eric to see two kittens (I am guessing to try to get one of them a home). Eric was completely depressed when he left. Apparently, the pet crematorium is visible from the street which made things even more depressing.