SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
taigen_gw

Let's talk gravy?

taigen_gw
13 years ago

Jasdip's post about turkey dinner got me thinking about all the cooking that will be going on this weekend. I'm one of those folks that uses a gravy separator and make my gravy from scratch. Over the years I've had numerous people ask me "what is that thing" and why I use it, so...who else here does?

Comments (29)

• Pieonear
    13 years ago

Like you, I always make my gravy from scratch, but I've never heard of a gravy separator. I'll have to google that. :)

• maire_cate
    13 years ago

Yep - I use one too.

Now do you thicken your gravy with flour or corn starch? We use corn starch.

• Related Discussions

Lets Talk About Bleach Baby, Lets Talk About You And ...

Q

Comments (64)
    Mich, I've seen that in the stores and wondered about it. Some detergents don't have enzymes, I stear clear most of the time, however not every load is tragic, so not every load needs enzymes. If there's not a bunch of stains and the clothes just have the normal dust and body oils, that bottle of All probably does a nice job on darks and colors. I'm a powder fan but lately I've been enjoying some liquids, lol. Actually I have found liquids without enzymes make my sheets feel very smooth, I've been using a new boutique one I've run across, I'm not sure yet though if its the lack of enzymes or because its a liquid, but they do feel better I'll send a pic of it in a sec.
    ...See More

Let’s talk wrinkle cream......

Q

Comments (3)
    I think that a prescription strength retinol is always mentioned as the most effective. I get mine from my derm. Before that, I Thought I saw some help from Roc wrinkle cream. Speaking of creams, Strivecton is still out there. any experience with it?
    ...See More

Let’s talk blue light computer glasses

Q

Comments (8)
    I recently (this week) saw a news segment about them.Of course I can’t remember exactly what news outlet. I did find the following which is what the report said. “ The American Academy of Ophthalmology says you don’t need them and has gone on record as not recommending any kind of special eyewear for computer users. The organization says blue light from digital devices does not lead to eye disease and doesn’t even cause eyestrain. The problems people complain about are simply caused by overuse of digital devices, it says. “The symptoms of digital eye strain are linked to how we use our digital devices, not the blue light coming out of them,” the AAO says.” https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/20210115/do-blue-light-glasses-work
    ...See More

Let’s talk moss spheres

Q

Comments (1)
    They have been around for 30 years or that is as far back as I remember seeing them! They are just decorative. The ones I have seen over the years are faux and require no care, other than trying to dust them. They have been out for a while, so I see how they might be making a comeback. Have to keep selling "new" stuff to the next generation of homeowners!
    ...See More
  • taigen_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Mammie...here is a link to the one I use. I like it because it has a stopper in the spout and the grid top to filter out particles for a smoother gravy. They aren't always easy to find but are a bit more common now.
    They pour from the "bottom" of the container. Simply put your drippings in, wait a few minutes for the fat to float to the top, then pour till just when you see the fat at the bottom of the spout.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gravy separator

• glenda_al
    13 years ago

Here's one from Bed Bath and Beyond for $4.99

Never used one before.

Always used flour.

{{!gwi}}

• roco0101
    13 years ago

I have one too but seldom use it unless I put too much butter on Tom or he's really fatty. I like all that junk in the gravy. LOL

I usually use cornstarch for the thickener but I can make flour work if I have to.

• taigen_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Maire_cate...I first use all the stock from all the various cooked veggies etc. then prefer to use corn starch...but will use flour if I have to. If there isn't enough liquid from drippings & veggies I will use a low sodium bought chicken stock if I don't have any of my own in the freezer.

• monica_pa Grieves
    13 years ago

Never used one either....grandmom taught me how to skim any grease off the top with a shallow spoon. It works.

• wanda_va
    13 years ago

I have a gravy separator, but seldom use it. I skim the grease with a spoon, like my mother did.

I use flour, and mix it with water in my Tupperware gravy-maker thing that I couldn't live without.

• Marilyn Sue McClintock
    13 years ago

I don't use a gravy separator. I usually just chill the broth and then take the fat off the top. That is what I did this evening for our gravy. I prefer to use corn starch mixed with cold water and add that to the very hot broth. For fried chicken gravy, I use flour and just blend it into the drippings until it is cooked and then add the milk and maybe some water.

Sue

• monica_pa Grieves
    13 years ago

Well, for making the gravy, I use the potato water from the potatoes that were boiled for the mashed potatoes. Got to have something to pour the gravy over.
    Potato water from white potatoes has natural starch. If I want thicker gravy, I add some potato flour, and stir it in with a whisk.

• carol_in_california
    13 years ago

I usually brown some Wondra flour in a bowl along side the turkey while it it roasting. When the flour gets a nice golden brown color, I take it out to use to thicken the gravy.
    I try to make some extra turkey stock using roasted wings and necks before I am going to cook a turkey dinner so I can have lots of tasty gravy.

• lynn_d
    13 years ago

Another that uses potato water to help thicken gravy, and flour.

• Jasdip
    13 years ago

Potato water as well. Always flour and water, shaken in a jar to make the gravy with.
    I see so many people on tv sprinkle flour directly on the hot drippings. I tried it once and got lumps.

I had a plastic gravy separator once years ago, and it cracked first time I used it. I use a dinner spoon to skim the fat with.

• phyllis__mn
    13 years ago

I use the separator, too, and also have used a nylon brush-like thing (Pampered Chef), but it's hard to get really clean again, so I use the separator, or, if I have time, chill the broth. I do use flour usually.

• cathyid
    13 years ago

I have 2 of different sizes but don't often use them. Depending on the amount of fat I want removed. I even have used paper towels to blot off some of the fat if I am in a hurry.

• Pieonear
    13 years ago

Taigen, thanks for the link. After viewing it I realized I used to own one of those! My aunt gave it to me and I always forgot to use it so gave it away. :)

• glenda_al
    13 years ago

If you like gravy, a different one, chocolate gravy on a buttered biscuit is AWESOME.

• kacram
    13 years ago

umm.... use a spoon, all of 2 times a year I make gravy! lol I DO have the separater though

• cynic
    13 years ago

As time goes on I use jar or canned gravies more. Or make the 3 condiment gravy I saw on Rachel Ray's show and it isn't bad.

When I make it from scratch I skim the top. Sometimes refrigerate it. Thought about a separator but wouldn't use it enough to justify it. Also use paper towel strips to get the stuff I miss. And I usually use Wondra or cornstarch but in beef stew I use Minute Tapioca.

• bluejeans4ever
    13 years ago

Sometimes I make it from scratch, using flour. I put ice cubes in the drippings as the fat clings to the ice then you can just scoop them up.

If I am crunched for time, I make those Clubhouse gravies, which seem to get more compliments than my own! lol I just mix up the Clubhouse gravy then add the turkey drippings to that. It is always good.

Man, I'm getting hungry! :-)

• sheilajoyce_gw
    13 years ago

I enjoy the ease of a gravy separator too. But mostly, using one or not, I prefer homemade gravy. I have always used flour. Sprinkle a few tablespoons of flour over 2 or 3 tablespoons of the fat in the bottom of the roasting pan. Use a whisk and quickly and briskly whisk the SPRINKLED flour into the fat so that it will not lump. Cook the flour for 2 minutes, a la Julia Child's instructions, stirring frequently so it does not scorch. Slowly add 1 or 2 cups hot water or chicken or turkey broth or more till you get the thickness you like, whisking it into the flour and fat and stirring up all the browned bits from the pan. Simmer several minutes, stirring frequently and adding more liquid as necessary as the flour absorbs the liquid. Season with salt and pepper. For larger amounts of gravy, increase the fat, flour and liquid.

• wildchild
    13 years ago

I make my gravy base the day before by simmering the neck and innards in broth along with veggies and spices. I then strain the whole thing. I make a flour and butter roux and gradually add it to the strained broth mixture until everything thickens up.

The next day I reheat the base and add the poured off drippings while the turkey is resting. Smooth creamy brown gravy and no separator needed.

One other thing. I get nice brown crusty drippings because I won't use a non stick pan for turkey and roasts. I use a shallow open graniteware or stainless roaster depending on the size needed.

• jel48
    13 years ago

I always make gravy from scratch too. I'd never heard of a gravy separator. If I have too much grease, I'll skim it off with a spoon. I use either flour or cornstarch to thicken gravy, depending on what kind of gravy it is and what I'm going to do with it.

Cornstarch makes a nice, clear gravy that is great for hot beef or hot turkey sandwiches or even over potatoes. Cornstarch thickened gravy doesn't reheat as well if there are leftovers. It tends to not be so smooth when reheated, although you can beat it with a mixer or wire whisk and that helps a lot. It's not lumpy reheated, just not smooth.

Flour makes a hmm.... non-transparent gravy. It is good for everything that cornstarch gravy is good for but is different... richer maybe. It's more like a stew type gravy. It reheats very nicely too.

And I also use my potato water in my gravy.

But my favorite, and least healthy, is a milk gravy. This is usually made from the lumpy pan stuff from fried meats. It's also the way I make sausage gravy when I make sausage gravy and biscuits, or the way I make gravy when I've made fried chicken of chicken fried steak. When starting out, I have just the greasy, lumpy stuff in the pan. Sometimes I add margerine or oil if there is not enough grease. Then stir in the flour right there in the pan and let it brown. Add cold milk, stirring constantly, until I have a nice, thick, gravy. Yummm.... this is the stuff that heart attacks are made from so it's a very very occasional treat!

• patti43
    13 years ago

I've never tried cornstarch. I'm not sure I've even heard of that before. Always just used flour. For milk gravy I do like most of you and sprinkle enough in the pan to absorb the grease and then add milk. For Swiss steak or turkey gravy I put some flour in a jar and add water, shake and add the thickened flour mixture to the liquid in the pan until it's the right consistency. I think I may try the cornstarch--I'm pretty sure that's what restaurants must do, because mine never looks like theirs.

Another thing when I make brown gravy is add a little Kitchen Bouquet. Doesn't change the flavor, but makes a pretty brown gravy.

• bengardening
    13 years ago

I am a cook in a restaurant and we make beef roast almost everyday for hot beefs. We use cornstarch and Kitchen Bouquet. My gravy is never lumpy. Along time ago I read you are not supposed to have your broth boiling or even on a hot burner when you put flour in it and it will never be lumpy and when I use flour and do it that way mine is never lumpy. After you have the flour mixed in put it back on the burner and simmer it until it is the right consistencey and whisk it or use a fork like my mother did. My mother-in-law made her gravy with potato water and browned flour. I hated that stuff. It never even tasted like gravy. When we cook a roast at work we cover the roast with water and add lowry salt and simmer it for about 4 hrs and it is so nice and tender never tough.I panfry about 12 chickens every Friday ane then put them in the over to bake the rest of the way until done. I add the left over flour to the oil in the pan that I fried the chicken in well 3 pans and more flour if needed, until crumbly. Then I add boiling water and stir it with a whisk and let it cook on low until thick. i keeep whisking it occasionally so it isnt lumpy. After it is thick enough I add powdered creamer. It is absolutely delicious. We get lots of compliments on it. People come it just for it and they have to come in early because there are lots of times when I run out of it. I read in a magazine one time someone was looking for a good recipe for sausage gravy. Use a dry mix like we do at work some of them are really good.

• blitzyblond_protege
    13 years ago

Yea! I learned there's someone else that likes chocolate gravy. Best stuff in the world for making good memories show up and making our whole family feel they have come home.

OH, owned several separators, never used them so I gave them away. Daddy couldn't stand the taste of corn starch, so I learned to make gray with flour. I couldn't stand brown gravies until two years ago. taste-buds changed I guess.

• country_sunshine
    13 years ago

Skim the fat, add some potato water, add a bit of cornstarch mixed with cold water, and leave those wonderful little 'bits' right in the gravy... mmmm yum

We love chocolate gravy on cathead biscuits here too. Also a major yummm..

Carolyn

• clairdo2
    13 years ago

I start my gravy the day before i cook the turkey. I make a roux and just add water to it and the next day i add the turkey drippings.I also use ice cubes to remove the fat from it.If it's not tasty enough i add a can of cjicken broth.

• sue36
    13 years ago

I have two methods for making gravy. The first, easy, one is to put water (or potato water) in a bottle (old spagetti sauce jar works well), add flour, shake, and wisk that into the drippings. The second method is to make a roux of butter and flour. Melt the butter, add flour, wisk until it browns (this cooks the flour and prevent a floury flavor). The browned roux also darkens the gravy if the drippings are too light. Wisk the roux into the drippings. I have a separator at home but usually do without since I am often assigned gravy duty at someone else's house.

I've tried potato flour (my sister has Celiac) but it came out awful. Any specifics on working with it?