SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jannie_gw

Family Situation Resolved-Sort Of, For Now

jannie
11 years ago

In September I spoke to my very upset, crying sister Beth. Her son Tommy, age 19, and his girlfriend April have a daughter together, Kelly, now almost 3.I have changed all names. Everyone got along although the parents were never married. Baby Kelly was happily looked after by different relatives, including both sets of Grandparents and her mother's Grandmother (Kelly's great-grandmother). Except for Tommy's name on the birth certificate, there were no legal papers and everyone was happy. Then early in September, April put Kelly in her car and drove from New York To Pennsylvania. My sister Beth says April is a bad mother, drinks too much and sleeps around and has never been really attentive to Kelly. So Beth got a lawyer and went to the police, who decided there was enough evidence to call it an abduction. All the Grandparents thought April was unable to care for her child, and set off an "Amber Alert" search. Seems April had a new boyfriend in Pennsylvania and thought the three of them would be a good family. Beth was terribly upset and feared she would never again see her Grandchild. Child Welfare in PA got involved, sent Social Workers to visit the new "family". I'm not sure what happened after that, but April and her PA boyfriend split, and April and Kelly wound up in Texas! Last week,April phoned her own mom to say "I'm broke, I have no where to live, no money for gas. Please come get me." So April's parents got in their car and drove 27 hours straight to where April was. They found April and Kelly living in April's car. Now April has not been making car payments so technically it's a "stolen" car. April did not want to go with her parents, but handed baby Kelly over to them saying "I can't take care of her. You take her." So they took Kelly and drove 27 hours back home. My sister is very happy Kelly is back with those who love her. She had a few bug-bites but she is otherwise healthy. But now she is very fearful, gets nervous when going from one house to another (from one set of grandparents to the other set). My sister and her husband and April's parents are all filing for custody. The baby's father Tommy is 19 and mildly retarded. He can't drive, works in a factory assembly line. But the main thing is, Kelly's back home and being taken care of properly. All seems well, for now. Please say a prayer for the a little girl. I'm not a "troll" or dramaqueen, I know I posted when this first happened and I want everyone to know the story is continuing but at least the child is safe for now.

Comments (7)