SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caflowerluver

My favorite uncle died but I have a dilemma, (Long)

caflowerluver
15 years ago

I just received a call from my cousin yesterday evening that my favorite uncle, even named my son after him, died Friday night. He had been ill and had complications so even though it came suddenly, it wasn't a total surprise. I live in CA and he lived in Boston. My Mom, 90 YO, is his only surviving sibling and she lives in IL.

I have a brother that is an hour drive away from Mom, so called him yesterday and told him to tell Mom in person. I didn't want to deliver the news over the phone. Especially since she was just in the hospital with a heart condition. I got his answering machine because it is Yom Kippur (he converted when he got married 36 years ago) so can't get a hold of him. I asked him to call me to let me know when he told Mom so I can call her.

I don't know the funeral arrangements but my cousin said it might be Wednesday. I am the only one who is willing to take the time to fly into IL to pick her up and fly with her to Boston. The dilemma is I don't even know if she wants to go. I can't call and ask because I don't know if my brother has told her or not. He might not be going there till tomorrow.

It is going to be a scheduling nightmare to arrange all these flights already and the more time passes, the more of a mess it will be. That brother who lives close can't do it because he has just taken 10 days off for Yom Kippur and his wife is also very ill. My sister, who lives with her in FL during winter, can't do it because she just got back from a 2 week cruise so can't take any more time off.

I get to do it because I am a SAHM who is the primary care giver to a 24 YO Autistic son. All my family thinks I can just stop what I am doing and come running to take care of family matters. It is not like I have a job (ha, ha). And I don't know how I am going to arrange things while I am gone because DH doesn't even come home during the week due to a very long commute. And, it gets better, DH is suppose to be starting a new job next week so he can't take any time off either.

I don't want to deny my Mom if she wants to go to her brother's funeral, but my head is spinning about how to take care of everything. And the fact I can't even call and ask is driving me crazy.

Clare

Comments (11)