SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
oklamoni

what I did this weekend (long, very long)

OklaMoni
15 years ago

While Mel and I were riding in Montana a group from OKC started doing rides like ours. Then this one came up.

To ride from Mustang OK to Ft.Cobb Lake and back. Well, since I mostly ride to starts of bike rides, I started plotting and planning to see, how I can get there, without using a car.

Just not quite possible to get to the start by 7:30 AM, when it is about 30 miles away. Well, at least for me it isn't... since I don't enjoy riding in the dark, even with lights on the bike.

Not finding a camping option in Mustang I contacted people in Tuttle to see if we can camp in the city park there again. The only downside of this scenario is, there aren't any showers there, and I truly prefer a shower after a bike ride.

Managed to get the camping ok'd, and the meeting place for Mel, Jerry and I got picked out as well.

Day one:

Friday morning arrived, and after putting the last items in our panniers Jerry and I left the house about 9:15AM. I had picked what I thought was a pretty "non hilly" route, and at some point, I recognized the roads as what I used to ride on the Legs Recovery Ride. Then we moved over to the Donut Ride route, and met Mel at Schlegel's bike shop downtown OKC.

Lunch at Java Daves, and off we were, riding west on Main, then Reno. About Morgan road we consulted a map, and realized we had only one mile left to go west, before heading south on Sara road.

Our first photo op of a "mail box art" arrived shortly before the corner I remember from the Overholser Wednesday evening rides. Last time I rode here, was about 8 years ago, and I was surprised to find a Walmart, Wendy's and Lowes at the bank corner.

Somewhere along highway 4 I stop on an uphill and mark the road for Mary and Kurt (meaning, taking chalk and drawing a big smiley face). They are camping with us tonight, but couldn't leave as early as us because of work schedules.

We shopped for dinner at the grocery store in Tuttle, before going to the city hall to let them know we got here. One of the requirements to camp there, is to let them make copies of your drivers license. Taken care of this, we head west again and ride to the city park. Pick a site, set up, clean up, cook and eat dinner before we hear from Mary (per cell phone).

Mary and Kurt arrive shortly after we finished our dinner, and gladly consume our left overs. :)

Popcorn for desert, and it is their turn now, to set up camp and clean up. Before long it is dark. We have a mapping session before we turn in.

48 miles with a 11.4 average

Day two:

It was getting light in the tent when I woke up, and I packed everything and tossed my panniers out, before getting out myself. Mel and Jerry were eating breakfast, while Mary and Kurt were taking their tent down.

I hurry and join the guys for breakfast. Then we take our tents down. Plan is to leave about 8:30, and I think, we left a bit earlier.

In Minco Mary takes my picture with a scarecrow, and then I head to the hardware store for a wooden spoon. I forgot mine again. Every time I use my plastic ware while cooking I melt it some, but can't use metal because of silverstone coatings. Ended up with a plastic spatula.

A HUGE boat goes down main street just before we turn on it, to go to the convenience store. There I have some nice inter action with little kids, all because of my rear view mirror. :)

We get to the corner where we are to meet the others just about the same time, but I do have the time to walk across the street and find a dollar bill. Yipeee. :)

13 OBS peeps ride up, most of them carrying camping gear. Some only clothes, and a couple without any gear. Our own Trudy lives in Ft.Cobb, and plans to host them at her house, while the rest camps at the lake.

I ride hard, and get ahead for some photos, but a big group of motor cyclists sneaks in to the pictures. :)

I end up riding with Mel, just like always. Some in the middle of the group, and some at or near the end. We goof off often, and stop for pictures. Nothing changes. :)

The lunch stop was moved to Binger, but since we were prepared we stuck to our peanut butter sandwiches, which we enhanced with a pint of ice cream. Really steep hill (find out later it was 8%) getting out of town.

We finally arrive at the lake, and see a table, tree, water faucet and stop and set up camp. The rest of the group is across the lawn, under the trees on the other side.

Set up camp, and head to the lake for a swim. Ahhh, that's the life. Nice temps! Not at all like getting in the lake in Montana, where it was FREEZING cold.

Showers here take quarters. I find out, when I get there, ready to shower. Alert the guys, before heading back, with a dollar bill along this time. Darn change machine needs four attempts before accepting my dough.

Sit around with the group till way after dark, but still get to the tent before 9:00 PM.

51 miles

11.1 average

Day three:

Up again, when it got light in the tent, and same as yesterday, but this time Jerry had already eaten before Mel and I got around to it.

Ernie came over, asking if he could ride back with us through Hinton, as he heard, we were planning on riding to the Cherokee Trading Post KOA for tonight.

Sure, the more the merrier. The rest of the group plans to go back the way they came, as their vehicles are in Mustang.

We ride off, while they wait for their breakfast at the marina. Nice going this morning. Strong south wind off the start, which this time is a nice tailwind. I hammer along, even the up hills, after all, it's supposed to be a short day.

What a hoot to ride in to Binger down that steep hill this time. Here, after a yoohoo and little debbie for me, we head north to Hinton. We hope the store is open for some bananas and stuff.

The going is still great, but we discussed maybe going all the way, and I got to pace myself some. I end up at the rear. Of course, stopping for "road treasure" doesn't help that situation. :)

Small town grocery stores are just not open on Sundays, and we go to another c store. Ernie finds his banana. :)

Once we head out of Hinton we go east, and the blessed tailwind turns in to a side head wind.

Then the corner with a big hill on the old route 66, or new road, but a little longer. Ernie decides on the latter. We end up getting to where the roads run together in front of him, which truly surprises us. Ernie is quite a bit faster than me.

Lunch at the Cherokee Trading Post for Mel and I, while Jerry and Ernie go to the Subway sandwich shop.

Back to old route 66 towards Ft.Reno, my next goal. Somewhere along the road we rescue Ernie's water bottle, as he and Jerry are way ahead of Mel and me. We reconnect, whenever they wait for us. :)

At Ft. Reno I set my next goal, El Reno, later my goal becomes Yukon, Bethany, OKC and finally Edmond.

We stop at lots of convenience stores for ice and cold drinks and rest rooms.

At Council and 39th we say good bye to Mel, Ernie rode off earlier to get on 36th. Jerry and I don't stop again till we get home, except for red lights and stop signs.

I am sure glad once I get home. Bikes get parked in the garage, shower, food, and rest. I am tired and sore.

That was a long day.

95 miles

12.5 average.

--

Moni

Here is a link that might be useful: new biking pictures

Comments (5)