SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alisande_gw

Lydia . . . and anyone else who wants to talk thyroids

alisande
15 years ago

I still have shortness of breath, along with some other symptoms that could indicate hypothyroidism. I had radiation to remove my adenoids when I was a small child, and I know that thyroid cancer is a risk in adulthood as a result. But I learned last night that hypothyroidism can turn up at any time after radiation exposure in childhood.

I've suspected for years that the radiation could be at the root of my autoimmune issues (and anything else that comes down the pike). It can also result in enlarged, inflamed optic nerves, which I've been diagnosed with.

Anyway, I'm going to be a Petit Papier Patient and bring up the possibility of hypothyroidism to my doctor. I seem to recall that the usual blood test for thyroid problems doesn't measure a certain hormone (T3? T4? something else?), so I'll have to ask for that specific test. Can you tell me what I should request?

Also, Lydia . . . what tests were run to confirm your suspicions about adrenal insufficiency, B12 anemia, and something else I can't remember? :-)

Thanks!

Susan

Comments (7)