SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ttodd_gw

Calling Golddust & Anyone Else Wanting to Weigh In....

ttodd
14 years ago

First all of I am sorry this is so long. I really apologize.

Have any of you taken in a child relative when things were just too bad or not going well for them? Can I get your feedback on this situation?

Dear Sis (DS) is 8yrs. younger than me w/ 5 children 12yrs & younger to 3 different dads. The last 3 fathered by the very nice man she has been married to for over 5yrs. The 2 older girls fathers are not a part of their lives and 1 dad has been in and out of jail repeatedly.

They live many states away from us.

DS and I have always been polar opposites.

DH and I have always had a consistant, stable, happy household. Our 3 children (although still very young) seem happy and well adjusted. They are always welcomed back wherever they go and we've gotten positive feedback from freinds, family and strangers on them and us raising them. We are surely not w/o our faults and everyday I think I can do better. Then at least I think to myself 'Hey - everyday you make that concious decision to try and do better so at least I'm trying to be the best parent, wife possible. That's more than some people do.'.

Her eldest daughter was born when DS was very young and while DS was very responsible work wise she kept some very shady friends. DS was always a follower and easily influenced. 'Sue' as I will call DS's older daughter spent a lot of time w/ these folks while DS was off working so we have no idea what, or if anything, may have happened to her.

Sue has always had a problem w/ not telling the truth and stealing. She has been in counseling forever. She has been in trouble consatantly at school for this (and possibly other things) and in special programs. She has ADHD and while on meds (school year only) is an A & B student.

She is bright, helpful, always wanting to please, and seemingly always desperate for any attention. Her younger sister (10yrs) is quite frankly a devious child and always setting Sue up when they are together. And anyone else for that matter. There's just something about her that is unsettling to me and even our mom has spoken to me about her concerns for the 2nd girl. We think that she is just much better at hiding things.

It's common knowledge that while DS's husband cares for the 2 older girls as he's raised them as his own since toddlerhood, they def. treat the last 3 kids (his) on a whole 'nother level. It's really like a Cinderalla story for Sue.

That said however, I AM NOT there at their house 100% of the time and I while I know there are problems (I've seen them) I don't know to what extent, how bad etc.

Last yr my sister had a nervous breakdown and checked herself into a treatment center. She has told me that at one point she's had an alcohol problem. Her husband travels most of the time for work (when it's there lately) and will be away for up to 3wks at a time. Social Services has been to their home.

My sis and her husband really do try and have tried hard to help Sue. They sent an e-mail last night that at the counselers advice after 3 yrs of counseling and no improvement that they should send Sue to a home for troubled children. I don't know specifics yet.

DH and I are having a hard accepting that w/o us trying first. I can tell at DH's silence last night that he is very upset and wants her here.

Our household dynamic is totally different than Sue's household. There is someone here all of the time and DH is home every night. There is consistancy. She would also be much closer to her much adored gandmother and grandfather who also really want to help. Sue has also lived w/ them throughout the summers (and spent wks during the summer w/ us from 5yrs old until 9yrs old) and during times of trouble for my sister and has done well w/ them. They are 3 1/2hrs away. She will also be closer to our aunt (30min. away) who just adores her too and doesn't have any grandchildren of her own yet.

We all know the surface issues but I don't know the specifics.

Am I crazy wanting to take her in first? In fact DH and I have talked about taking her in for yrs. should things get too rough or bad for her.

I am going to talk to my mom (the beloved grandmother) tonight and get her input. Per mom, DS has always looked up to me. DS may not go for it but maybe she would. She will always try to do what she thinks is best for Sue.

Comments (39)