SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
susie53_gw

How Many Cancer Survivors Are Here??

susie53_gw
13 years ago

I read so many ones on here talk about cancer.. How many of you are survivors? I will start..

I am a cancer survivor of almost 20 years. I had breast cancer. I went through cemo and radiation. Sadly, cancer runs deep in both sides of our families. I am the oldest woman in my family that is still alive. Grandma,both aunts, 3 cousins and my oldest sister are all gone. One niece also has had breast cancer. No male has had it.

On my hubby's side his dad and sister have both died from cancer. His oldest brother had prostrate cancer and his son colon cancer. Both are doing well at this time.

I remmeber the first day I went into the radiation chamber. You lay on the table in your mold that they made for you to lie in. I rememebr the door shuting. Just like a heavy bank door vault. So scarey. I remember tears falling from my eyes. I had to go everyday for 7 weeks.

I remember the people I went through my treatments with. Some never made it. I will always remember a strikingly tall beautiful red headed woman. So sweet. She had twin daughters that had just started college. Her brother always came with her. She died after a couple months. I remember a young guy with brain cancer that had 3 small daughters. He wore a toupee and when he would come out of his treatment it was always on wrong.. He fought so hard but died soon, too.

One funny was when I went to take my cemo at the hospital. I took a drug that was administered in an IV slowly The nurse had to watch her watch to make sure it was going in slow. If it went in to fast your crouch area would be on fire. It only happened once to me but went away quickly. The nurse laughted and told me about an 83 year old lady that had come in the day before. She took the same drug. All of a sudden she squirmed in her seat and said, "OH, I haven't had a hot box like this in 30 some years."

This is a horrible disease and if you haven't dealt with it yourself or had a loved one that has had to deal with it you can't possible know the heartache it causes. I know they have come along way and hope and pray there will be a cure soon. I thank God everyday I am here to enjoy our children and grandchildren.

To all you survivors out there, enjoy life to the fullest. Tell those around you love them, help others with the simplest things. I have a couple elderly ladies in my neighborhood that I love helping and have adopted them like my grandmas. I love taking food to them. Simple things like this makes life so grand for me and for them.

Comments (30)

• debbyga
    13 years ago

I've survived cervical cancer. This November it will be two years since I ended the treatment for it--chemo and radiation. I went every day for 6 weeks for the radiation and once a week for those same 6 weeks for chemo. I told everyone that the radiation was a breeze, which it was--a couple minutes every day and it was over--not much more than an X-ray from what I could see. The problems from the radiation arose later.

It's OK, though, I can live with some after-effects. I'm alive and doing very well.

• roseluver
    13 years ago

I am a 16 year survivor. I had rectal cancer. I went through 3 months of chemo and hospitalized to administer the radiation. It really humbled me. They had me lying on my stomach with my bottom taped open!! Gross huh??? I still think so. I lost about half of my hair on the exact day they told me I would. I remember the blisters that formed in my mouth, it was so difficult to eat. I lost so much weight, but was thankful I had it to lose. The radiation took its silent toll on me also. I experience diarrhea to this day. But, I am so grateful that the Lord was not through with me and allowed me to survive.

• Related Discussions

Update on Terri my Co-Worker & Cancer Survivor

Q

Comments (10)
    Great news about Terri. I have learned to love pink as well as not complaining about having another birthday....at least I am here to have another birthday! Saturday I did my 3rd Relay for Life walk.....with my daughter and granddaughter with me. The first lap is for survivors and the second lap is for survivors and their care givers. Lots of sniffling going on for those 2 laps. If Terri has Relays in her area encourage her to go....each year I attend is a greatful year. I bared my head as soon as I felt comfortable doing so....when I flung the wig I never looked back to see where it landed! Because of my job I was forced to "cover my head" longer than I would have liked to....but thats OK cause it's all back and now I complain about how often I have to get a hair cut. I will keep Terri in my prayers as it takes a good while for life to get back to normal.
    ...See More

At what point are you a Cancer Survivor?

Q

Comments (23)
    Aw, man. I can't tell you how much I appreciate and will benefit from, your prayers and good thoughts. Thank you so much. I've signed up for the 'walk' portion of our local Race for the Cure, it's the first of August this year and I'm assuming that by then I'll be able to participate. I'm not a runner at all, my knees won't take it. My surgery is May 1. I've never had a surgery before, not even a C-section, so am naturally scared of what's coming. There's one part of me that says maybe, not knowing, is a blessing, so I can't dwell on anything specific. My mother had a radical mastectomy about 30 years ago, and then 15 years later had colon cancer. She didn't recover from that. So Monday I'm having the dreaded colonoscopy that has scared me for so long. I want to know, without a doubt, that there's nothing else going on.
    ...See More

How many coats of primer? Not sure about new BM product !

Q

Comments (4)
    I just went to the BM store and the guy said if I am using Aura (which I am) to paint, then I don't need any primer at all. "Even on new sheetrock?" So they say. I've used Aura without primer on previously-painted walls, no problem. But can anyone attest to it's performance over bare drywall? It would sure save me a lot of time and $$ to stop priming now. I'm only 3 gallons and one day into it.
    ...See More

How are all of our Cancer Patients doing?

Q

Comments (21)
    I too am doing well for the most part,hair has grown back and is down over my ears now,not as thick as it was b4,but i can handle that at least i have some.My feet still bother me,that burning,walked on glass shards feeling.However my biggest problem now is my arm,from what i've read on the cancer bd.it looks like i may have Lymphadema in it.I go see the dr on monday.It's swollen and hurts like he**.I can only type for a couple of minutes or use the mouse,so my time on the computor these days is limited,and also can't do any stitching,or sewing,Bummer!! But as they say,"This too shall pass". I've kept the 47 pounds off that i lost during chemo and am now on Femera for almost 5 years,so the weight loss is a Great thing!! Keeping those prayers and good thoughts going up for all of us. Kathi
    ...See More
  • bengardening
    13 years ago

I had aysterectomy 6 years ago and they said I had the really really early stages of cancer then. They said they got it all and I wouldnt have to go through chemo or radiation. I am 58 years old. I thank the lord everyday for giving me a second chance. My sister died when she was 40 from pancreatic cancer. That is 20 years ago. Two and half years ago I lost my mother to it too. They both only knew it for a few weeks before they passed away. My mothers sister died of it also. They say it isnt supposed to be hereditary, but now some of our family members are in a study at Mayo Clinic to see if it maybe is. My father-in-law died of lung cancer he had smoked unfiltered camel cigarettes for years or he rolled his own bull durham. My brother-in-law died of brain cancer and 2 of his sisters did too.

• sandiefl
    13 years ago

I am a two time cancer survivor. I had cancer in the left breast 10 years ago.Thankfully it was caught early and I had a lumpectomy and six weeks of radiation. I did get a radiation burn on my chest, but it healed. This past January, I thought that the cancer had come back in my left breast. I was wrong. It was the right breast this time and it was Stage 3. I had a masectomy and 18 chemo treatments and 6 weeks of radiation.Because they took 27 lymphnodes,I have lymphadema. The chemo caused neuropathy in both hands and legs. I lost my hair after the very first chemo treatment. The support that I received at the Cancer Center was amazing. My hair did grow back and it was curly.The longer it gets the curl is going away. But, I have hair and I am getting stronger every day. No one in my family had cancer. My Mom's side had lung disease and my Dad's side had,has diabetes. I told my daughters and granddaughters that they need to be serious about check ups. Every day is a gift now so I try to use it wisely.

• maryanntx
    13 years ago

I was diagnosed over 2 1/2 years ago. Still have it in my lungs, but I'm surviving each day and plan to outlast it.

• ruthieg__tx
    13 years ago

Most of you know my story, two time survivor. First was left breast and then the right lung. I had 3 surgical procedures to the breast and 7 weeks of radiation. I was so nervous about the radiation that I cried the morning I was supposed to go and just couldn't stop the tears from flowing. I went to the OHH board and told everyone that I was having a meltdown and the next thing I knew they were all lifting my spirits. The radiation went well and I didn't have any serious burns until right at the end. I haven't had anything show up in that breast since. The lung cancer was a couple of years ago now....the lemon sized tumor was removed and I did chemo but didn't have to do radiation. I go in a couple of weeks to see if there is any signs of it showing up. My doctor says I am in remission at the moment....I feel safe in saying that they expect it to come back but I am feeling pretty good at the moment and hope that the chemo bought me some good time....but even if I have to start chemo again, I am feeling really good about being strong enough to do it....

• kfca37
    13 years ago

I've never had cancer, even the more minor skin kind---I'm 73, but my husband had testicular cancer almost 30 years ago in his early 50ties, Had both surgery for tumor removal & radiation follow-up. No recurrence, though he has had several small facial skin cancers removed over the years.

My sister was diagnosed with lung cancer in late 2002 when she was 58 (she was a smoker since high school). Frankly her doctors didn't think she'd live longer than 4-6 months. She had both radiation treatments & chemotherapy, mainly as a pallative & maybe buy a little time. She's still around almost 8 years later (though not currently smoking).

On the other hand, my father died of spreading liver cancer at a few months short of age 75.

• kacram
    13 years ago

me too.
    diagnosed almost 11 years ago. no radiation as it was
    wrapped around my aorta. took chemo, believe the drug
    that was pretty fresh off clinical trials really helped.

follicular cell non hodgkins lymphoma.

they found it again this January a week or so after
    we had my Dad's memorial. I've been taking chemo for
    just about a year this time. They just took me off of
    the really nasty stuff, and now I am on what they call
    a maintenance. woohoo.

my mom died of lung cancer 6 weeks after she
    was diagnosed. My Dad died from esophageal cancer.

• kacram
    13 years ago

I think of you all and pray for the best for all of you al the time.

• sheesh
    13 years ago

Five and a half years ago I was diagnosed with kidney cancer six weeks after my husband was dx'd with colon cancer. That was an awful time, I'll tell you, scaring each other and our poor kids half to death. We were both stage II at dx; neither of us required chemo or radiation, surgery only, and here we are today, still living and loving each other.

We are each the only or first known cancer pts in our families. He is 70, I am almost 63. I hope we are never that sick again.

• Vickey__MN
    13 years ago

Okay I keep saying I don't feel like a cancer survivor, and my friends and family disagree. I was diagnoised with endometrial cancer is Feb of this year. A hysterectomy in March got it all, so I am cancer free, no chemo or radiation needed (and let's face it, the hysterectomy was something I'd wanted for a few years). Outside of the complications from the surgery, everything is now fine

Vickey-MN

• petaloid
    13 years ago

Hodgkins Lymphoma survivor here, diagnosed about 22 years ago. Surgery and radiation therapy. I'm fine now, thank goodness.

All the best to all of you.

• heather_on
    13 years ago

We lost both of our parents to cancer, but they lived to be a very good age fighting their battles.

I am my oncologists longest survivor of Inflammatory Breast Cancer and we celebrated my tenth year this June. Chemo, Mastectomy and Radiation for me. I sailed through the chemo with no real problems with stomach issues or mouth sores. Chemo brain/fog was a real issue for me though. Loved my chemo cut when my hair grew in. The mastectomy wasn't too bad exept a porcupine lived under my armpit for quite awhile. Radiation wasn't too bad, some burning but after all that, I did get a frozen shoulder and that hurt! I do have lymphedema as an annoying side effect, but it is a small price to be alive.

I have to say that having cancer has left me with many positives in my life. My DH and I appreciate each other more, I have learned to appreciate each day and I no longer sweat the small stuff. I am a happier person now. I had to give up my career, but I have learned to adjust to a smaller salary. There are no guarantees for me that I am cancer free, but the Femara seems to be keeping it at bay. I will put up with the aches and pains.

• whidbeykathy
    13 years ago

Well no one knew at the time, but my Mom and many others took DES, my Mom had injections. DES had some really horrific side effects on the unborn daughters and I am part of that group.
    I have had cervical cancer, and many many complications from the DES. Many surgeries, many complications.
    It has made me hyper careful of any medication, and I have been that wasy since I had my first surgery at 19.

• jkayd_il5
    13 years ago

My breast cancer surgery was in July, 2008 so just over two years as a survivor. I had seven weeks of radiation and am still on daily mediation. Every six months I have an infusion of Zometa. This is to protect my bones should the cancer travel there. This is not chemo but would be in the chemo mixture if I was taking it. So far all tests have been good.

• cheryl_down_under
    13 years ago

In early February this year following a colonoscopy was diagnosed with bowel cancer and 2 weeks later with breast cancer. In March had surgery for both - 2 weeks apart. The bowel cancer was contained and thankfully didn't need any further treatment there - only to have follow-ups for a while. However, I needed further surgery on the breast to take more lymph nodes. They were all clear but I still had to have chemo and finished the radiation last week. I am going well and my hair is just starting to grow back, but I find the hardest part is living with the fear that either cancer will come back. But I am hoping like heck that I will be able to say in years to come that I am truly a survivor!!!

• jenson13
    13 years ago

Lost my sister at age 42 to colon cancer, and my hubby died at 66 with esophageal cancer. Nobody knows what it is like to be the caregiver of a cancer patient. It is an experience one will never forget. Why in the world they cant find a cure to this devastating, life altering, disease, I can't imagine. I admire all of u who have been through the ravages of it.

• joann23456
    13 years ago

Wow, I am so amazed that there are so many survivors here, and so pleased that all of you are doing well, at least for today. I love your positive attitudes.

Both my parents died of lung cancer, so I do know something about cancer. My dad went quickly, but chemo worked to give my mom a good year before she died. She had the same positive attitude and grace that you all are showing here. I admire that and hope I can live up to it if I ever need to.

I've lived through cardiac failure and four serious adrenal crises, so I have personal experience with life-threatening illness. I agree with all of you that it makes you so much more grateful for the time you have on this earth and for your loved ones.

• lindaohnowga
    13 years ago

I'm a 16 year survivor of cancer. Mine was uterine cancer,caused by being on hormones, and thank God, it had not spread. Surgeon got it all, and no followup treatments were needed, although an oncologist suggested "preventative radiation". I refused and went with vitamin therapy instead and glad I did. I was tested every year for 5 years and declared cancer free. This year I decided to be retested for my own peace of mind and all is clear. Hubby survived prostate cancer. He had surgery and all is well with him too.

• chloecat
    13 years ago

I'm a 5-year survivor of breast cancer.

And those who say they know what survivors are going through - unless they've gone through it themselves - are full of you-know-what.

I thought I understood it when my mom was diagnosed. I thought I was aware of what she was dealing with.

I was WRONG.

• jkayd_il5
    13 years ago

chloecat I think you are right. However, I can't let myself think about the what ifs. I have a mammogram scheduled for this month and of course am anxious they will find something. I try to keep my head on straight that if or when it comes back I will deal with it then. I'm by nature a worrier so have to do what keeps and helps me be happy.

• Sally Brownlee
    13 years ago

I have tears of joy for all of you...I can barely type.

Thank you all for what you have gone through and continue to experience. Advances are being made everyday, in no small part to your contribution to medicine. Yes, medicine is a practice, and they are getting better and better all the time.

I have experienced (too) many instances of cancer in my family, young and old....'There but for the Grace of God, go I'.

God Bless you all.

• patti43
    13 years ago

I've seen PSA's on TV with people singing "Happy Birthday" to all cancer survivors, so I want to add my happy birthday to you all, too. You sure are a brave and positive bunch! Thanks for sharing your stories. They came at a good time. God bless and watch over you.

• Mystical Manns
    13 years ago

My mother had breast cancer 30 years ago, and had what they called a "radical mastectomy" and removal of all lymph nodes on her right side. She came through that ok, and 12 years later was diagnosed with colon cancer. Her "treatment plan" was terrible. Through surgery, they found that the cancer was wide-spread enough her oncologist didn't see the point in putting her through chemo, which we appreciated his honesty. But he did put her through another "exploritory surgery" six months later to check and see how it was progressing. I never, ever forgave him for that, as abdominal surgery just takes so much out of you. She led us kids to believe there was a purpose to the surgery (more than just ... looking around). Afterwards, we really gave her doctors a hard time and it didn't happen again. She died a short time later.

In 2009 I found a small hard lump in my left breast and knew immediately it was cancerous. It was so different from the fluid-filled cysts I'd had for years. My GP recommended a surgeon, plastic surgeon and oncologist ... two weeks later I had a double mastectomy and reconstruction. Altho the tumor was large enough to be considered Stage 2, my lymph nodes were all clean and the Oncotype DX test put me in the lower category for recurrance based on the mastectomies and my taking a cancer inhibitor for five years. So that's what I'm doing. I did not require chemo or radiation.

A woman at work was very very tired last spring and finally went to a doctor. She was diagnosed with a very aggressive form of leukemia. She passed away last weekend, less than 6 months later.

Like others, I try very hard to live for today ... enjoy today ... experience and appreciate everything positive I can. But the thought is always there, in the back of my mind ... what if. At this stage in my recovery, I just cannot escape it. I don't know if, after 5 years or 7 years or 10 years I'll be more confident. I just know that, today, Cancer is always with me.

• 3katz4me
    13 years ago

37 year survivor of a rare sarcoma including a recurrence 27 years ago. Surgery, radiation and a year of awful chemo the first time - above knee amputation and two years of brutal chemo the second time. My chances of 5 year survial when first diagnosed in 1972 were less than 20%. Chances of long term survival at the time of the recurrence were 80% which may have had something to do with the fact I was treated at a world renowned cancer center.

• mawheel
    13 years ago

I am in awe of all of your posts and thank you for sharing. As I type, I am praying that God will bless each of you and keep you strong.

Peace.

• susie53_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I am so amazed at everyone here. We all have a story to tell. Some are harder then others. When it is said that you don't know until you have walked in their shoes, this is truier then you could ever imagine. I remember my sisters last battle with cancer. She decided not to do any treatment. Her doctor was wonderful to her. He told her if it was his mother facing this he would advise her in the same way. We had thought we would have my sister through the hoildays. She died two months later on September 4th. Sadly, it was on my youngest daughter's 30th birthday. I lived about an hour away and went every other day to spend time with her. When we knew time was running out I packed my bags and told my hubby I wouldn't be back until it was over. I am so thankful I was there.

My grandma died a horrible death with cancer. I saw her for the last time on my wedding day. We went to her house after the ceremony. While on my honeymoon I called every day to check on her. We came home early so I could see her one last time. She died 30 minutes before we got there. She was a fabulous lady and only 54 years old.

I have lost 17 loved ones from both my family and my hubbies.. It changes a person's life forever. For myself, I don't think of it often. I go get checked when I need to and live my life to the fullest every day. I worry about our daughters and grandaughters having to someday deal with this. But, that being said, we can't sit back and wait for it to happen. If it happens we will do all we can to stand together and deal with it..

Cancer is no longer a death sentence like it was years ago. I also know when you are first told it is the first thing to come to a person's mind. It is hard not the think this way. I pray everyone here has the best that life has to offer them. For me I think of my wonderful father-in-law so much. I know when I have a really great day he is smiling down at me and saying, "Great job, Susie." Some days I really feel like he is patting me on the back. Enjoy all you have..

• vannie
    13 years ago

What good timing for your question since I just got home from a "Komen Getaway" at the hospital. It was 7:30-2:00 and I've gone every year since I had breast cancer in 1999. I had surgery and radiation. It was small and I know how blessed I was, and am. My BFF had it 3 years later, and we do the Komen Race, and the "Getaways" together. Tomorrow the other big hospital in Tyler has their Komen luncheon, so we'll be doing Komen activities 2 days in a row. They have wonderful speakers and today they had a panel of 5 docs--surgeon, plastic surgeon, oncologist, radiation oncologist and the doc that reads the mammos. It was very informative, except they said a woman that presents w/ stage 2 has an 80% survival rate after 10 years and that threw me for a loop, b/c it thought it would be much higher. Anyway, they said the 2 biggest risks were obesity and alcohol. It's a terrible, horrible disease.

• socks
    13 years ago

My heart is touched by all your postings. I have never been in your shoes and can only begin to imagine what you have all been through physically and emotionally. God bless each and every one of you.

• mcjelia
    13 years ago

Tomorrow will be one year since I underwent surgery for colon cancer. I had six months of chemo and am doing fine now. All of my tests came back clear. Thank you Lord!
    I am the biggest chicken on the planet, and I did it! I never thought I could handle it but I did!

Don't forget tomorrow is LIVESTRONG day, please wear yellow in honor of all the cancer fighters!

Jean

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County