SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gazania_gw

More about Reverse Mortgages

gazania_gw
13 years ago

Just want to share a story about what I know about a reverse mortgage.

The couple next door, a brother and sister, had a reverse mortgage. I don't know when it was taken out, but when Ann and Andy died 4 years ago at age 98 and 96 within a couple months of each other and the estate was settled, a nephew shared some information with me. The home was valued at $120,000. The mortgage company claimed to have paid out to the couple a total of $162,000. While the mortgage company was paying Ann and Andy enabling them to stay in their family home, albeit in poverty, Andy was paying rent for an old mansion that he had filled with antiques over a period of 60 or more years. The contents of that mansion were auctioned off for over 3 million after Andy's death. The mortgage company had no right to that money. Our government reimbursed the mortgage company for their loss.

Andy who lied and cheated his way through life had debts that were settled first and the nieces and nephews walked off with what was left.

Their house has now been standing empty and decaying for 4 years. It is over 100 years old and had very little upkeep in all those years. The mortgage company, located in Texas, has done absolutely nothing to get it on the market and does not return ours or the Township's phone calls. It has become an eyesore with weeds and dead and dieing trees and shrubs, broken windows and falling window curtains in this otherwise nice neighborhood. Looking through the windows, the plaster of off most of the walls and the basement is full of water.

I am sure that not all reverse mortages are a bad idea, look at how well it served Ann and Andy! What ever went on after their deaths is no matter to them!

Comments (9)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH