SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caroline94535

Who is our 'adoptee' expert? I'm searching for

caroline94535
12 years ago

my hubby's birth family.

I know we have a person here who has had luck sleuthing for adopted people. I'm so sorry, but my old brain can't remember who it is. I need some ideas on how to go about locating DH's birth family.

He's known, all his life, he's adopted. "You're more trouble than seven kids; I don't know why I ever adopted y-o-u," is just one of the chants he heard from early childhood on.

His "mother" also has stressed from early childhood that she will never tell him who his parents are; will never show him his adoption papers; and will "disown" him if he ever asks about them.

Also, all his life he has felt as if he has a brother. From early childhood on, as far back as he can remember, he's "missed" this brother and has wanted to find him. I told her about this; I told her that to this day he aches - mourns - for this brother.

Her response was "He's 49; he doesn't need a brother and I'm not telling."

When he was diagonsed with a genetic blood disorder and the doctor wanted more information on his family members her answer to my inquiry was "If he didn't know he was adopted he'd still have the same problem and wouldn't know he 'came from other people'." She doesn't care at all, as long as she keeps her secrets.

Enough is enough for me. The last time we were at her house he took for an afternoon outing. I stayed in to catch up on the laundry...and photocopy his adoption papers.

Yes; I boldly got in the drawer where she has many times shown me she keeps the key to her "lockbox." She always says "Don't ever let him see this key;" as if he's too stupid to know what it is.

She "hides" the lockbox in a new location every time we're in the house - under the stairs; in the pantry; behind the bookcase, etc., then she stage whispers and points and says "Don't ever let him find the lockbox." It would be funny if it wasn't so pathetic.

I opened the box, took out the envelope (that she's waved under my nose a dozen times) and read the papers.

It's not a complete set of papers; it's only the final decree. I have the case number, the name of the judge that finalized the case, and the fact the adoption is on file in Baltimore, MD. It also shows his full birth name and birthdate.

It does not show his mother's or father's names. The hospital he was born in closed a few years ago and was consolidated with a larger hospital.

Is this enough information to begin searching for his birth family?

Where and how do I start?

He knows I'm doing this search; he wants me too.

Comments (9)