SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
softball_80

Suppose you've just won the lottery......

softball_80
15 years ago

Now remember this is hypothetical money!!! Let's say that even if you never play a state lottery, you got a ticket as a gift, or even found one. Well, the fates or God have smiled upon you and you have the winning numbers! Just so it's a nice round number, it's $100,000,000 - a hundred million dollars. A quite large but not unheard of sum. You do what everyone says to do - get out of your house and hole up in some undisclosed location. You've changed your phone numbers and given the new ones only to trusted family members.

Now what? As for me, here are my thoughts. First, I'm going with the annuity rather than the lump sum. While in my mind I wouldn't go hog wild buying new cars, boats, multiple houses, etc, etc, I feel this would be good insurance that I didn't go crazy and blow it all the first month!

OK, after taxes, increased charitable contributions and everything else I hope I'd have half the original amount, anyway. I think that most people would want to help out their kids and at least some of their other relatives or even close friends, and I'm no different. Since this is an annuity these amounts probably would have to be given out in installments, but in a shorter term than the 20 years lotteries seem to be based on.

Kids - I have three; 24, 22 & 21. $2 million each.

Siblings - I have three, so does my wife. $1 million each.

Nieces & nephews - a total of 14 on both sides combined. I'm thinking $20,000 each; minors get their in a trust until they are 21. Two godchildren get an extra $5000. Wife has a non relative godchild - $5000 for her. (Gee, I really throw money around, don't I?)

I have 3-4 close friends that I've had for over 30 years that have been there for me when I've needed them. I'd have to offer them $10,000 each but I wouldn't be surprised if I had to force it on them; laugh if you want to. This money would come out of 'my own pocket' so to speak My wife and I would have to have an amount each to do with as we please. We do now, but It'd be higher, LOL.

Lastly, anyone who got money from me that expressed dissatisfaction with the amount would get nothing from me.

I'm 58 and what's left would make for a comfortable retirement. If you're younger, you'd want to keep more for yourself.

OK - that's my take. I want to hear yours. Put some thought into it!

Comments (26)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz