SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bigbaby_gw

Doctor Dilemma (kind of long)

bigbaby
15 years ago

I need some opinions as to how to handle this situation. Two years ago I injured my foot and was referred to a podiatrist by my regular doctor. I went back and forth with this podiatrist for about a year until he finally recommended a cortisone shot in my foot a year ago. His explanation was that the fascia was inflamed and that the shot would help calm it down so it could heal. A few days after the injection I felt a pop in my foot and some terrible pain. I went to the ER and they couldn't find anything wrong. I went back to the podiatrist who also couldn't find anything wrong. In the mean time my foot has never stopped having pain.

Fast foward to a couple of months ago. We finally got some insurance and I asked my regular doctor for another suggestion. He recommended a surgeon who specializes in foot and ankle problems. This new doctor did an MRI and it showed that the cortisone injection had weakened the fascia and that pop I felt was the fascia completely rupturing. He explained it as basically the fascia completely tearing apart except in one small area, which is the area that hurts now. Apparently the cortisone weakens the fascia and it is a very bad idea to inject it for that problem. The fascia can't be re-attached.

I had surgery two days ago to try to heal up the small part that is still attached so it quits hurting. If it doesn't work then the doctor said I may have to have major surgery to reconstruct my foot in the future. My foot is permanently damaged, though. I'll have to wear an insert now because of the damage.

Here is the dilemma. This is obviously the result of the podiatrist (who is not an MD, by the way--they just go to podiatry school like a chiropractor or dentist). I feel angry and upset that this man didn't warn me at all and after the "pop" didn't even know what had happened. My angry self wants to sue him but my head says no. Do I write him a letter? Sometimes I think maybe I should just get them to reimburse me for my expenses from the surgery and being off of work.

What do you think?

Comments (15)