SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alisande_gw

Without cursive, who will read our old documents?

alisande
10 years ago

This morning my cousin Roderick in England sent me a PDF image of the London marriage certificate of my great-grandparents. In addition to listing the bride and groom, it gives the names of their fathers and the fathers' profesions.

As I looked at the certificate, carefully handwritten in beautiful script, I wondered who will be able to read it, and other handwritten documents, in the future. I don't know why schools have stopped teaching cursive writing, but I think it's going to have serious repercussions.

Comments (53)

• alisande
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No, not all schools. Not yet. But it appears to be coming. Here's an article from the Washington Post. Google stopped teaching cursive, and you'll find lots more from many sources.

Several years ago a friend of mine who teaches college English told me his incoming students were increasingly unable to read cursive. Much worse now.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    10 years ago

It is not part of the "common core" teaching standards.

• Related Discussions

3 month old GE Monogram refrigerator... broken! please read

Q

Comments (32)
    I'm no expert but the GE fridges are ASSEMBLED in the USA and, as long as 50% of the components are made in the USA OR the product undergoes substantial change into something else (motor to fridge anyone), GE can lay claim to the label - made in the USA. Many of the components, including the motors , are actually made in China. Now would you really want to buy an appliance you hope to have for at least 20 years or more, from a company that has been wanting to sell its consumer Appliance division for over a year? Google "Ge appliances division sell" if you need to and see how the company is doing all it can to improve the profitability of this division so it can increase the sell price. What's the best way to make more money - sell an item for a lot of money while keeping the cost of production as low as possible. Cheap cost of production = JUNK! My GE Monogram Fridge and freezer just went back today so maybe I am biased because I fell for the advertising pitch and bought into it but from experience I would never touch a new GE product again - they aren't built like the ones from a few years back. our new ones didn't even last a year. And at $5000 each that is money we were NOT going to lose. Fortunately our dealer bought them back for full credit and we are getting German made units instead with European providence on ALL the components.
    ...See More

Cursive Handwriting - A Dying Skill?

Q

Comments (46)
    The journal and calligraphy pen sound like a wonderful idea. It can only get better. I believe that fine, small motor control improves with age and also that most boys are not interested in pretty writing. Perhaps relate architecture to nicer writing. My 48 yr. old son grabs a pen and looks like he is going to print an "X" instead of his name. It's almost, and may be, a grip where the pen is held by four fingers surrounding it. He also prints/ writes and presses down hard on the paper, enough to make indentations. An observer, a caring observer, could guess that he has a hard time with writing/printing. He hunts and pecks on the computer and claims that he is proficient and fast (probably in defense of an anticipated suggestion from mom that typing lessons are in order). In kindergarten he was tested and we learned that his small motor skills were at a 2 year old's level. He played tennis beginning at 5, became a ranked player, #1 singles at a competetive high school, mvp on the college tennis team, and taught tennis during college and law school. He is now out of state, arguing at the Supreme Court of a southwestern state. Last Feb he did his mommy proud when he argued before the U.S.Supremes, a parental payback. He is a really nice person and has to work extra hard. He talks to himself. Daughter2 holds a writing implement in an unusual way. Not efficient. Experts told us that after age 9 it is difficult to change one's writing and/or grip. I don't believe that for one moment. Eye surgeons write illegibly sometimes. It is a baby wart. The Pittman Honor Roll is as dead as cursive. We want our kids to be perfect in every way, and they really are.
    ...See More

Cursive!! What does yours look like?

Q

Comments (45)
    Donna, your great-uncleâÂÂs handwriting is just gorgeous. And that letterhead is fascinating. Penmanship is listed as one of the focuses. Translating Houndsâ message: What fun! This is a sample of my scribble. Hounds (aka Susan). I think I got it right. Ha! Another Susan! Nicole, if thatâÂÂs true, I must be getting more immature as I get older. I guess that figuresâ¦â¦second childhood and all that. :-) I feel as though I know the handwriting posters even better now!
    ...See More

Good Old Fashioned Gentle Reads

Q

Comments (123)
    Has anyone tried the books by Elisabeth Ogilvie? She was active from the middle through the close of the 20th century. Her books were mostly set in rural coastal Maine, a series about Bennett's Island as well as some stand alone novels, suspense stories, and historical novels. I believe there were some YA books as well, though I never read any of those. I wasn't crazy about the Bennett's Island series, though they were very popular, but I liked some of her other adult novels very much. She was a master at evoking a sense of place. In fact, she made me long to visit Maine.
    ...See More
  • terilyn
    10 years ago

This has been one of my biggest peeves for a long time. My youngest son had a serious arm injury, I immediately took him to therapy so he could learn to use his left hand. When we met with the school in the fall, they said, oh he won't need that. He can just do everything on the keyboard. I was stunned. So much family history is going to be lost.

• gadgets
    10 years ago

I first learned of this when a friend of mine told me about a year ago that she'd given her 12 yr old grandson a grocery list of things to get. He could only read a very little bit of it, so she then had to print the list. It's sad.

Shirley

• socks
    10 years ago

I think it's good brain exercise for kids to learn it. Although both my sons were taught cursive, they have always chosen to print anyway. Our school district taught D'Nealian printing. Many letters have little "tails" which is supposed to make learning cursive easier.

• Jasdip
    10 years ago

We have the same problem in our area (Ontario).
    Our local paper ran an article where a young boy needed a passport because of his church, and he had no idea how to sign his name. The same with another gentleman, whose 14-yr-old grandson had no idea how to write a signature. Signing legal documents, cheques, all things come into play if penmanship isn't taught in schools.

Here is a link that might be useful: Why Johnny can't sign his name

• arkansas girl
    10 years ago

I guess you have to go to college to learn how nowadays. I have never seen such stupidity in all my days as the things that are happening NOW! I think devolution has taken it's tole!

• tami_ohio
    10 years ago

I agree 100% I've been saying this for over a year now. Fortunately, the school district my DGS's go to still teach it. I would be teaching one of them if they didn't because he WANTS to learn it. He says printing is too slow!

Tami

• Adella Bedella
    10 years ago

We just moved to a new school system. We will see here. My kids have been taught it a bit. It is probably going to become like knowing a language. Only the "educated" will be able able to read it.

I went to parent teacher night last night. Kids aren't being taught spelling like has been done in the past. The school will instead emphasize groups of words like those with the "er" ending and what that means. They won't have spelling tests, but will focus on content. I don't like it, but the other kids are learning the same thing. I guess their generation will adapt for better or worse.

• Chi
    10 years ago

I think it's a normal part of the educational evolution. We abandoned calligraphy, feather pens with ink and slide rules a long time ago because these methods became outdated. I see cursive as the same thing.

I was taught in elementary school in the 90's but I don't write in cursive. I probably could if I had to but I don't remember the proper shapes of all of it because I don't use it. It's difficult to retain skills taught 20 years ago if you don't use them, and modern life does not require usage of cursive in day-to-day activities. I imagine any cursive taught in schools will promptly be forgotten. I would bet that people who write in cursive today have just memorized and integrated it from years and years of usage.

The main problem I see is that there are so many other things that need to be taught now that didn't exist 50 years ago, like computer and software skills. I think it's much more important that a child learn to operate a computer and use different programs than to learn cursive. If there's enough time after teaching the relevant skills, I am all for cursive being taught as I do think it's a link to our past, but I also see it as somewhat elective and not mandatory. I would MUCH rather my kids knew how to operate a computer and develop technological skills over learning cursive.

It is important to sign your name but I have seen very few signatures look like cursive. I know mine has evolved into a scribble and they require a printed name most of the time as well.

That being said, although I do understand why it's not taught, I still think it's valuable and if my child's school didn't teach it, I would teach them on my own, even if they forget it. I enjoy reading my grandma's handwritten notes in my birthday cards.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    10 years ago

Just because one is at University level education, doesn't mean that communicating is at a higher level. For the past several years, I had almost daily contact with those students. Print everything, text everything, or email everything. The idea of putting pen/pencil to paper and writing was foreign.

What will my granddaughters do? I really don't want to be around when they are college age!

Jim

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    10 years ago

I was never thrilled about our grandchildren being home schooled, however with the downward turn the schools have taken I am actually glad. I think in the very near future the home schooled kids are going to be far ahead of the curve. Every one of our grandchildren can sign their names and write letters to us in cursive. They may not have the most beautiful handwriting but they can improve, at least they the ability. If I had children today that were not being taught things I feel are important and essential I would feel responsible to deliver the information to them myself. Which would be very difficult for parents that have full time jobs plus are maintaining a household.
    One place that should never be compromised is the education of our children who will be our future.

I have a great friend that has been a school teacher for many years, he quit this past year. He was so disgusted and disappointed with what was happening. He is now a private tutor and very happy.

• Jasdip
    10 years ago

......and yet.....

This post was edited by jasdip on Fri, Sep 6, 13 at 14:14

• maire_cate
    10 years ago

They'll probably make an app for that.

• alisande
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jasdip, LOL

Maire_Cate, I laughed at your post, too, but you're probably right!

• alisande
    Original Author
    10 years ago

An article on this subject from NBC News today.

• susanjf_gw
    10 years ago

don't care... I write on all but the youngest dgk's cards ALL the time...my little 6 yo dgd actually is the best at making them out...her older cousins can't sigh...I also started teaching (but she lives too far away) the easier print letters to cursive..denelian (sp) printing...they were teaching it in santee ca school dist, in the 80's....

• alisande
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, D'Nealian writing was popular when I was homeschooling in the 80's.

• joyfulguy
    10 years ago

Dad went to business college for a time, and his writing was rounded and beautiful - once I saw a letter from him a number of feet away in the post office and knew that it was his writing.

My writing wasn't too legible, in recent years ... and now that my fingers tend to quiver when I want them to behave themselves, things aren't improving.

ole joyful ... who agrees with your distress at the disappearance of cursive (which is faster)

• Marilyn Sue McClintock
    10 years ago

I asked daughter Amber, if they still taught it at the school where in a few years Alyssa will go. She is 2 1/2 right now. She did not know but said if they don't, she will teach it to her at home. I think it is a shame if they don't teach it any more.

Sue who likes to write but likes to type better in my older age.

• nanny98
    10 years ago

I just have to add a note to this thread. Yesterday, I was jotting down a shopping list and my 54 year old son said "you know.... I can't read cursive writing anymore" after which we had a short discussion about it. He learned to read and write it in school.... but it has been so long, and I am the only one he knows that writes 'cursive'. Isn't that surprising? He has lived here for a year now...I've been writing lists all along, and he finally admits why he never takes them. Yes, I am just not prepared for 'that'.

BTW... I never really learned to print, and my printing is a mix of capital letters and small letters.... sometimes, I really do try, like when writing to the grand kids. I'm hopelessly inept! LOL

• alisande
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That is surprising, Nanny. I would think it would ingrained in someone his age.

My printing is a little erratic, too, unless I pay attention to what I'm doing.

• nanny98
    10 years ago

In the defense of my son, he is a writer, publisher, former successful book store owner, reads Latin and Aramic (sp?) Graduated from a Theology Seminary and reads and retains stuff amazingly well. He is a facinating man who really has added a stimulating addition to our lives, even tho he "works" and reads on his computer constantly. He currently is starting up another business (other than being our full time caregiver, which is really nice); publishing and writing, and spear-heading a global warming grass roots effort here in Oregon.. I don't think he realized that he had 'forgotten' how to read cursive until recently.... and was somewhat surprised himself. I guess "If you don't use it, you lose it" is true!

• jel48
    10 years ago

I thought about this thread yesterday, when I wrote out a check and again when I signed for a 'cash card' purchase. I seldom write checks, as I pay most bills online, but I do pay for most of my in-person purchases with a card that pulls funds direct from my checking account. In both cases, I added my signature in cursive. Do people, who don't know how to write cursive, sign such things by printing their name? Is that considered a valid, legally binding signature? If not, why do so many forms and documents ask that you 'sign' your name, and also print it (for added legibility, I've always thought)?

• ghoghunter
    10 years ago

It will go the way of Shakespeare's Old English and German Gothic script. Language is a living thing unless it's Latin and it changes as people and culture change. Those who want to read old documents will learn it I guess. There is no way to stop things changing as much as we wish it.
    Joann

• joann23456
    10 years ago

I agree with Chi83, Ghoghunter, and Jasdip (except that I use algebra all the time!). Cursive writing is a lovely old thing, and I'm glad that my niece learned it, but unimportant in today's world.

Bemoaning the death of cursive writing reminds me of when I was in high school and had a calculator, but my father bemoaned the loss of the slide rule. He taught me to use one himself, as he thought it was important, but I promptly forgot it because I never had the need to use it.

As for a signature, cursive writing has never been required. An "X" will suffice. Your signature is whatever you want it to be, and many, if not most, are illegible anyway.

As for historical documents, I write cursive all the time, yet I have a tough time reading handwritten historical documents that are much more than 100 years old.

As an aside, I was bemoaning the fact that my niece is almost 12 and hasn't been taught to use a keyboard properly (not that *I* was taught before that age, but it's more important now). I was going on about how she needed to be able to use a keyboard when all of a sudden I thought of all the speech-to-text apps that are available now. Already, I dictate nearly all of my client notes. How much better will the software be by the time she's older? Maybe she won't need to use a keyboard.

• Holly_ON
    10 years ago

I can't remember the last time I used my cursive writing skills! Kids can always learn cursive by using the script font. I had classic "teacher's handwriting" so I've been told. Skills needed are changing rapidly and I think the schools are wise to respond. I HAD to have Latin to enter a nursing program. What I actually used, could have been learned in 30 minutes maximum instead of the five years I had to take at the time. You lose what you don't use. Maybe tomorrows kids will use something akin to a graffiti symbol as their signature. Apple just released a phone yesterday that opens with a thumb print as the password. Can't be faked as a signature can. Hard to predict where technology will take us. Can see a day where we all have an implant in our brain and our thoughts are transmitted automatically without even speaking. HORRORS...I would need a self correct option certainly!

• blfenton
    10 years ago

Hopefully someone will add an addendum to the Rosetta Stone.

• nanny98
    10 years ago

I think you all are right. And, as I have thought about my 'discovery', I realized that all the letters we have exchanged since he left school have been type written or computer printed, except for short notes on greeting cards. Also, the 'keyboards' on cell phones don't require 'keyboarding'.... and I am surprised at how fast I can 'keyboard" with a stylus and my I-Pad and phone. "Times: they really are a-changing".

• Alisande
    5 years ago

I thought I'd revive this 5-year-old thread as I heard a movement to restore cursive writing to schools is gathering momentum. I hope it succeeds. Do you?

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    5 years ago

Yes! I don't understand why they would stop. So much of our history is written that way.

• sjerin
    5 years ago

My neighbor was so determined that her kids would learn cursive that she taught it to them herself.

• chessey35
    5 years ago

Neither of my grandchildren know cursive - my grandson said he had one short course in 4th grade and nothing else - he's now a 10th grader. I realized I just sent his birthday card with a cursive message. DH says my writing is so bad that it would be better to print. Actually what I do is a combination script

• Elmer J Fudd
    5 years ago

Old scripts can be learned. We have a friend who does research in medieval archives. Had to learn to read defunct scripts of text written in defunct (and inconsistently spelled) languages. It wasn't a big deal.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    5 years ago

Yes :-) I use cursive all the time because it is much faster than printing. I can't imagine jotting down notes, making lists or writing cards in print.....just takes too long!! And I do a lot of printing as well, as I am a landscape designer and all my hand drawn plans have carefully printed labels. I learned well before CAD was available and it is a graphic skill that anyone can/should develop.

btw, my dad (long gone now) was a chartered accountant and had incredibly beautiful handwriting. I have kept many of his letters both to me and my mom (also long gone) but what I really value is one of his checkbook registers :-)) It is a work of art!!

I also had a boyfriend when I was in architecture school who moved across state to another college and he used to send me letters that were written entirely in calligraphy and profusely illustrated! They looked somewhat like those manuscripts that the monks created in the Middle Ages....incredibly beautiful documents!! And yes, I saved all of those as well, much to my former DH's dismay. Not so much for their content (very sweet in an early college age sort of way) but because they were just too stunningly executed to throw out!

• roxanna7
    5 years ago

^^^ love it, jemdandy! LOL.

• Alisande
    5 years ago

Jemdandy, I wish we could teach a lesson to the education system because they're the ones, not the students, who think cursive writing is irrelevant. I wonder what signatures are going to look like. I'll have to ask my stepgranddaughters. One is a college sophomore, the other a high school senior. Neither were taught to read cursive writing.

Sjerin, I would have done the same as your neighbor. I taught all my kids to read before they entered school. (It engaged the toddlers while I nursed the infants.)

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I'm still glad our schools didn't stop teaching it. My son can write and read cursive, even if it is ugly. He is a scrawler. I'd give anything if he just wrote legibly ;)

• nickel_kg
    5 years ago

Cursive requires fine motor skills. I think it's good for that reason, especially in early elementary years. If not cursive, what other school subject could get the kids experience in controlling their arms/hands/fingers so closely? Keyboarding requires some control too, so maybe it would suffice if it was taught well.

• lucillle
    5 years ago

I wonder what signatures are going to look like.

Recently I set up a second checking account with my credit union, and the entire process was handled online. The software created a signature for me which I adopted as my own, so I did not need to make a trip to the credit union to sign anything.

• wanda_va
    5 years ago

I hate the common core educational standards. I wish schools would go back to the teachings (and subjects) of the 1950s-1970s. Cursive does help with fine motor skills. Algebra is useful in daily life for many people (as a quilter, I would be lost without it). The new math is ridiculous. Yes, I use a calculator, but can solve any problem without one. And I really wish they would bring back Civics (and History) classes! Having a conversation with a kid today can be frustrating, and--in my opinion--the youth of today should not be allowed to vote. They have no idea of the principles of government, the Constitution, etc., so their votes are on meaningless ideals. Many of the high school and college-age kids of today want socialism because they think they won't have to work hard in order to achieve "success". Before they are allowed to vote for socialism, they should be sent to live in Venezuela for one year! This is my opinion....

• Elmer J Fudd
    5 years ago

wanda, do you really want to ban people from voting? Is that only if they disagree with you? Criticize and demean people based on their age (and maybe you do so with others based on other characteristics?) ? Make broad brush statements about groups as you choose to define them?

I think you'd do well expanding the information sources you rely on and especially by exposing yourself to a wider diversity of opinions. My experiences with my kids' generation (millennials) is that they have a much better handle on the world and their own lives than my generation (boomers) ever did.

• sjerin
    5 years ago

Many of the high school and college-age kids of today want socialism
    because they think they won't have to work hard in order to achieve
    "success".

Aw Wanda, really? Have many kids told you this? When did Socialism take on such a rotten meaning? I would be proud to be called a socialist, because it would mean I care about my neighbors. Our current capitalism doesn't give a darn about one's neighbors; I got mine, and that works fine.

Also, as a sub I'm involved with the 'new' cc math. Though I find the lack of concise directions frustrating, I believe the point of the program is to teach kids how to deal with problems that seem too difficult at fist blush. For instance, they show kids over and over how important it is to see or make "tens" with remainder "ones" in their calculations, as tens are much easier to deal with than seemingly random numbers.

• norar_il
    5 years ago

My smaller grandchildren live in a small town and go to an even smaller private school. They are learning cursive there. I tell them they can do something their older cousins who live in Texas cannot. So a note written to teenagers has to be printed while a note to a seven year old can be in cursive. Seems backwards to me.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    5 years ago

where is it you live they don't have algebra, history, and civics classes, etc.? I know I took them and my son took them... not in the 50s or 70s.

• Olychick
    5 years ago

I recently sent a sympathy card to friend living in Germany. She never received it because I didn't know at the time that you cannot send mail addressed in cursive! Addresses must be printed. It did eventually make its way back to me a couple of months later.

• desertsteph
    5 years ago

"I have a great friend that has been a school teacher for many years, he quit this past year. He was so disgusted and disappointed with what was happening"

I don't blame him. if I had school age kids in today's world, they would not be going to a public school.

it isn't that they have more important things to teach kids today, it's that they have ridiculous things to indoctrinate the kids with, instead of the basics.

not only won't they be able to read family letters, history, they won't be able to read things like the original documents of our founding fathers.

kids don't need a daily dose of computers. they learn it quickly and with a few optional classes would catch on more than us older people. and they have them at home to work on.

I've worked with computers since 1968 (and have had a home computer since 1982) and these days have more difficulty keeping up with the changes. the young people don't. I need to have my nephew in his mid 30's come to help me with mine now. but then, his face is most usually aimed at his cell phone.

I've been planning to ask my son if his boys (8 and 11) are taught cursive in school. if not I plan to send them some cursive learning books / pads sold on amazon.

• Elmer J Fudd
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

" if I had school age kids in today's world, they would not be going to a public school.

it isn't that they have more important things to teach kids today, it's that they have ridiculous things to indoctrinate the kids with, instead of the basics.."

Please share your public school conspiracy theory with us. It's funny, because if anything, the many private schools run by religious extremist groups serve up plenty of propaganda.

What school parents send kids to is a choice, if private tuition can be afforded, but that doesn't negate the tremendous importance of public schools to all of us. Having the best possible public schools is essential, they educate the majority of tomorrow's members of our communities and our society. It's a serious responsibility and one that private schools will never fill.

AND, in my opinion, learning cursive writing just isn't an essential skill.

olychick, cursive writing and its appearance and patterns are quite different in Europe than here. It may be that what you wrote wasn't legible for them. Or, it hit someone on the wrong day and they didn't want to try.

Just as with speaking slowly using simple words for a foreign audience, block letters (which are also somewhat different) are the best choice when you know the writing will be read by a non-American.

• maddielee
    5 years ago

I wrote (In cursive) a note to my 8 year old non-cursive trained granddaughter and she was able to figure out what I wrote. And I don't have very good handwriting any more.

Try it with a child, you might be surprised.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!