SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
socks12345

How do you clean windows?

socks
15 years ago

I cleaned all my windows on the weekend. They look great until the sun hits them. Then I can see a film and some streaks.

I used Windex or some similar cleaner and paper towels.

How can I get the windows cleaner?

Comments (34)

• jannie
    15 years ago

Windex and white tissue paper. I've heard of using newspapers but the ink comes off on my hands! Blah!

• grammahony
    15 years ago

Use crumpled newspaper to dry them.
    Leslie

• Related Discussions

Window cleaning frustrations/questions grrrrrr!!!

Q

Comments (10)
    I use a microfiber mop, even on windows I can reach. I tried it for the first time while mopping floors because my patio doors had dog nose prints all over and hadn't been wiped down in a couple of months due to laziness. Even with a fairly dirty mophead (I had mopped the whole room and not yet rinsed the mophead), I got really good results and very quickly. That led me to clean all the windows this way in no time. Results were not flawless, but a huge improvement over windows I otherwise probably would not clean frequently. Now I do it regularly this way, and they look better and better with each cleaning. I love microfiber!
    ...See More

How do you clean your hardwood kitchen floors? (X-posted on cleaning)

Q

Comments (6)
    My hardwood floors are probably filthy, but look really good. I have them throughout the first floor. I sweep them daily, and run the occasional Swiffer WetJet on the kitchen portion of the floor in front of the sink, dishwasher and stove. I have tried a lot of things when mopping, and found that I prefer to use hot, HOT water and a damp rag mop once a month to get them really clean. I often have to refill the water, as it is black during this cleaning. Should probably do it more often, but I don't have the time.
    ...See More

How do you clean old windows?

Q

Comments (2)
    Standard window cleaners should work. Don't use any abrasives and be sure the glass isn't loose in the frame when you start to work on it.
    ...See More

How do you clean exterior windows?

Q

Comments (2)
    I use the Ettore system. Their cleaner, soaper and squeegee. Takes a time or two to get the hang of it but after you do its near perfection every time. I have a huge amount of glass and I can finish it in a little over 2 hrs total.
    ...See More
  • gemini40
    15 years ago

Straight ammonia and water, with crumpled newspaper to dry. works every time.

• sandy_in_ia
    15 years ago

I have a bucket of light soapy (Dawn) water with a rag. Then I have a spray bottle of vinegar (strong) water that I spray on before I wipe everything off with floursack towels. This has seemed to work the best for my windows....hate when you use you spray and get the streaks!

• mcmann
    15 years ago

We have new Pella windows and the manufacturer's instructions said to avoid any commercial glass cleaner that is alcohol or ammonia based because they can leave a base film that attracts moisture or dirt and they may streak.

They recommended a vinegar mix - one part white vinegar to 10 parts water, or Ammonia free Windex Glass & Surface Cleaner (a clear liquid) or Sparkle Glass Cleaner (purple liquid). Pella also said that if you have streaks after cleaning you could try rinsing with clean water.

Before we replaced our windows with the tilt in ones we hired window washers. They just use a little liquid dish soap in water then they wash the window with a soft rag or cloth brush (looks like a little mop) and then squeegee everthing off wiping the excess water off on a rag.

The other hint I've read is you are more apt to get streaks if you wash windows on a hot or sunny day. I hate doing windows but I sure do love the results when they're done.

• Nita__AZ
    15 years ago

I have always hated washing windows because of the streaks. I now have a fellow that comes every 3 months and does my whole house in and out plus screens for $55.

• FlamingO in AR
    15 years ago

I use SprayWay window and glass cleaner, comes in a blue and white can. That's for the inside, on the outside I have to use a ladder and Bon Ami powder. No streaks with either one.

• azzalea
    15 years ago

I have real glass, and only ever use rubbing alcohol and newpaper (only black ink, never colored). Leaves the windows sparkling and streak-free with very little work.

• msmarion
    15 years ago

Johnson's Baby shampoo and water. The man who installed our window tint recommended this. Works like a charm.

I always wash twice to make sure I get all the stuff off. A little trick I learned from my dad.

• vannie
    15 years ago

This house has some double paned windows and you cannot clean the middle. I'd love somebody that would clean these for $55!! What a bargain is that?

• lindyluwho
    15 years ago

I have a steam machine I use to clean windows. Works great.

Linda

• okwriter
    15 years ago

Nita,
    Send me his phone number!
    :-)

• Happy_Go_Lucky_Gayle
    15 years ago

I have cleaned my *@#%* windows about 5 times in 4 weeks. Dogs and Paw Prints on Glass Doors.

My problem is that we leave the Front Porch Light on at night as well as the Back Patio Light. Bug "poop" and then there are the Lizard "poopers" eating the bugs.

I'm going to have the house Power Washed before I clean Windows again.

Gayle

• iowagirl2006
    15 years ago

SprayWay - like Flamingo said. That stuff is the BEST!

I use a clean tea towel, not paper towels. Make sure you don't use any fabric softener when you wash them either - or they will get streaky.

If I could find someone to wash my windows for $55 I would be in heaven! I would pay 3 times that if I could get someone....man! I hate washing windows. I have almost 40 windows - plus they all have combination/storm windows over them that have to be popped out and washed first - gaaack! That means twice as much.

• monica_pa Grieves
    15 years ago

I pick up the phone.

• lydia1959
    15 years ago

I use rubbing alcohol or a weak solution of Quick N Brite and paper towels.

• caroline94535
    15 years ago

I called the Windex number on the bottle regarding streaks on windows and mirrors after using their product. This was a couple years ago.

They asked if I was using paper towels. Yes; I was.

The customer service rep said to never use any brand or type of paper towel that was touted as "absorbant" or "extra thick." Don't use any of the "good" paper towels. The oils and chemicals they add to the paper for the "soft and absorbant" qualities are what causes the streaking.

Use plain, rough, cheap paper towels, or 100% cotton (that has no fabric softener used on it), or brown paper, or newsprint, etc. and the cleaning products should work perfectly.

It's the "wiper material," not the cleaner, that's causing the problem.

• ivamae
    15 years ago

Where can you buy Bon Ami powder? We used to always use it but I haven't seen it in the stores for years.
    ivamae

• irishdancersgram
    15 years ago

I have, what my sister calls, the magic cloth...Honest, it is magic...Before you use it, you have to wash it in the washer with other clothes and bleach and then line dry it...When using it, you wet it completely, wipe over the windows and that's it...You don't dry them....When the cloth gets dirty, you throw it back in the washer...I've been using mine every week for about 4-5 months and it's wonderful...No streaks, perfect windows....Like I said, the magic cloth...I guess it's made like a chamois (sp), but what ever, it's great....

• msmarion
    15 years ago

Ivamae, my Dad always used Bon Ami bar soap to wash the outside of the windshield of his car.
    I googled it and found the company's web site. They have a list of dealers at the bottom.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bon Ami

• Pieonear
    15 years ago

I add about a tablespoon of corn starch to a spray bottle of warm water. Keep shaking the bottle to keep it mixed good. Makes the glass shine.

• minnie_tx
    15 years ago

I very seldom clean mine I have bars on all my windows. If I see a spot I'll get out the windex. they are never open and have curtains in front of them.

• liz
    15 years ago

You mean I'm supposed to wash windows????? I switched to glass plus years ago cause the man who did the finishing work on our house said to never use an ammonia based window cleaner (windex)...I use flour sack towels washed with just soap...No softner...they come out ok...I had them professionally done one time and they added rain-x to the rinse and it kept them from getting water spotty...

• mcmann
    15 years ago

I buy bon Ami in the supermarket, it's near the Comet cleanser.

• pump_toad
    15 years ago

Wow! I am glad to know Bon Ami is still available. I have not seen it in any store around here.I used it years ago and it is the best.I like the fact you can see where you have been and where you need to go....
    Lois

• mrsmarv
    15 years ago

"Hope's Perfect Glass" and newspaper. Great product!

• linda_in_iowa
    15 years ago

Like Flamey and Iowagirl, I use Sprayway. It is ammonia free. I only clean the insides of my windows because I have storm windows also. Washing the outside of windows in Iowa is a complete waste of time. It snows in the winter and rains the rest of they year, so what's the use.
    I really liked having clean windows in CA where you could clean them in spring and they stayed clean until winter.

• trinitytx
    15 years ago

Vannie and I have the same windows....yuk!
    When kids were growing up, and got into trouble.....they cleaned windows for their punishment. Gosh I had the worst kids, but the cleanest windows!!
    Now I just keep the blinds down, or the cutains closed.
    Someday, new windows....

Trin

• carmen_grower_2007
    15 years ago

The secret is a squeegie. When have you ever seen professional window washers messing around with newspapers or cloths to dry the windows?

• socks
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes, the professionals do use squeegies.

Would you use a squeegie and spray water?

• socks
    Original Author
    15 years ago

One more thing...where do you get Sprayway?

• country_bumpkin_al
    15 years ago

Flamingo mentioned the SprayWay a while back and I bought some at Walmart. Loved it! I ran out and wouldn't you know it..Walmart no longer has it!:(

• Lindsey_CA
    15 years ago

One little tip that will help lessen the frustration if you do get streaks...

Always wipe the outside of the windows in one direction, and the inside of the windows in the opposite direction. For example, wipe the outside in an up/down direction, and the inside in a right/left direction. Then, if you have streaks you can easily tell if the streaks are on the inside or the outside, just by their direction.

Never, ever, use fabric softener on towels. It reduces their ability to absorb.

• cynic
    15 years ago

liz_ga and I have a similar attitude. :) But when I do wash them I use a scrubber/squeegie. I have one like you use at a gas station. I took the handle off and just use the scrubber part since the windows get wet and dirt sticks to them so a good washing and scrubbing with them works well. I often use plain glass cleaner, whatever type I have around. Used to prefer Windex Lemon at the gas station since it didn't streak as much as even the Windex original it seemed. But I buy whatever is on rebate. When I'm out of that I'll probably just use a pail of water, splash of alcohol and a few drops of dish soap, maybe vinegar water.

And I bought a soft window squeegie which does work well. Wider and softer than the auto type and made for doing windows. Only a few dollars and you can buy a refill on the rubber part for about a buck. The trick is to have a DRY squeegie and start on a DRY portion of the window. Window cleaners taught me that. Watch them. Wash it down with the scrubber. Then a dry cloth to wipe a starter line at the top or side depending on which way your strokes will go. Wipe the squeegie to make sure there's no dirt on it and it's dry and then give a smooth stroke down, pull off, wipe the squeegie, overlap an inch or so on the dry part and do your next stroke and continue.

The real pros can do a zigzag, start to the right, turn the squeegie, go down a bit, then back across and continue down. Once finished with either method, a dry cloth (or paper towels) to wipe the sills and occasionally a drop on the edge of the glass.

To me, a good quick wipe is horseshoes & hand grenade washing. Close counts!

I'd like to hire someone to wash windows annually and clean my oven. Maybe someday. Yeah right!