SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jamie_la_gw

I can't stop the tears!

Jamie_LA
13 years ago

Some of you may remember me posting about our landlord making us get rid of our dogs and cats or move. We have BEEN looking for a place to move to, and can NOT find a place a)that takes pets, or b)that we can afford. She notified me today the pets or us. How do you get rid of a pet you've had for 14 years, and one that was given to you by your recently deceased daughter?????? My heart is breaking ALLL OVER AGAIN. I'm still grieving my daughter, now I'll have to grieve losing my 2 dogs and 2 cats. Now this may sound trivial to some, but until you've REALLY loved an animal, you won't understand. The bond I have with Sadie is soooo strong, since Rachel gave her to me last Mother's Day. I feel like I'm losing a part of Rachel!!!! I'm trying to figure out a plan that MAYBE someone will take them until we DO find a new place. But I have no clue who. I feel as tho I'm smothering! Please don't bash me and tell me how silly it is to consider animals or a home, cause as I've said, until you REALLY love an animal, you won't understand. I'm praying to God for the strength.

Comments (59)

• Jamie_LA
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes Linda. We've been renting from her for 6 years. She suddenly decided she does not want animals in her rentals. Our lease is up this month. The animals were allowed when we first moved in 6 years ago.

• glenda_al
    13 years ago

big big hugs, jamie

• Related Discussions

Tomorrow I must put my loving Border Collie Rocky Richardo down

Q

Comments (5)
    We have lost two of our babies - a Cockapoo at 18 years old and a Brittany at 14. The same thing happened with Chelsea the Brit, she seemed better after several really bad days then the next day, much worse. We knew then it was time. Our vet had us bring her in through the back so we didn't have to deal with checking in and seeing the other pets. We had some Phenobarital at home that we were to give her before hand so that she was comfortable. We have her ashes in a cedar box and I had a paw print made and framed. Helped me deal with it. It doesn't make it easier but you are doing the right thing. If you haven't visited this site before go to www. rainbow bridge. Its for pet owners. Bless you for giving your guy the best for all these years. Good luck.
    ...See More

have cats and can’t tear this down how can I redo it

Q

Comments (0)
    How can I redo this as I have cats and can’t tear it down
    ...See More

I can't stop. Which kitchen is better?

Q

Comments (50)
    Hi Tosca, here are pics of our walk in pantry beneath the stairs. It's a funky odd space but we made good use of it. Pic 1 - the door is right next to our fridge (fridge & rest of the kitchen is to the right). This opens up to the section that I think is under the top of the stairs or perhaps it's under the 2nd floor landing. The ceiling is pretty high. Pic 2 - the pantry then wraps around under the stairs and behind the fridge. The door to the right leads to the furnace which is also under the stairs. Because the furnace may someday need to be replaced, we opted for a rolling cart for our coffee maker rather than a built in cabinet. Not shown: the wall directly behind the fridge. We have our mops and brooms hanging on that.
    ...See More

I can’t stop thinking about the boys in the cave

Q

Comments (56)
    Here is a piece from the NYT about one of the boys trapped in the cave. Some of the children and the coach were stateless, refugees, though without refugee status, from Myanmar. It is an incredibly poignant story at this particular time in history when so many people must flee their birthplace to find safety. https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/10/world/asia/thailand-cave-soccer-stateless.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=first-column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news
    ...See More
  • cat_mom
    13 years ago

Maybe try to call some law offices that do pro bono work and fnd out if the landlord can do that after all this time.

• country_bumpkin_al
    13 years ago

Oh Jamie...my heart is breaking for you and I'm thinking some pretty ugly thoughts about your landlord..thoughts I didn't know I was capable of! There has to be an answer...we just have to find it! You and this situation are in my Prayers!!

• stephmc72
    13 years ago

Oh My Gosh, Jamie...my heart is aching for you. I wish I lived closer, I'd take your babies. I'm so sorry...this isn't fair. I can understand because my pets were every much part a family as the humans are. I'm so sorry.

• lavon46
    13 years ago

Try checking with all your local vets, they may have some names of people that will foster them for you, maybe you could even visit them, until you can find a place. Ask around at pet stores for individual rescue people too, their out there, but sometimes hard to find.
    I completely understand how you feel and my heart hurts for you. Don't give up, something or SOMEONE will come forward to help. Is there any chance at all you could talk to the landlord and get them to change their mind, or at least give you more time ? Maybe even check into how legal it is for the landlord to give such a short notice ? Renters must have some kinds of rights ?

• lydia1959
    13 years ago

I'm so sorry Jamie. I hoped the landlord had changed his mind or that you had found a new place. (((Jamie)))

The link below may have some helpful links in it. They list some foster programs and pet friendly housing.

Here is a link that might be useful: Foster Dogs

• vicki7
    13 years ago

That is incredibly heartbreaking. I can only imagine how awful it would be if I had to give up my precious pet. If you do decide to pursue having someone foster them, maybe you could emphasize that you are willing to provide all the dog/cat food needed. Just a thought, since the cost of the all the food could be a stumbling block to a potential foster family.
    Also, churches can sometimes be a great help with things like this. I'm hoping and praying there will be a way to keep them with you, where they belong!

• wildchild
    13 years ago

I don't think your feeling are trivial at all. It is heartbreaking. I am still not sure that your landlady can do this. Even though your lease is up the animals should be "grandfathered in" in most communities. Of course she could start eviction at any time on a month to month but that could take a while.

As a landlord I know how difficult you can make it for her if you choose. Have you checked with your state,county and local tenants rights laws and ordinances? Knowing your legal standing is the thing you need to do. many consumer law attorneys will give you a free consultation. There are also pro bono lawyers that work through the county system.

Did she notify you in writing? Be sure to keep those notes. A real notice to quit has to be done legally. The pets or us statement doesn't hold water.

You must have a human society or a local rescue that might help you find foster care if it comes to that.

Do not give up your pets until you absolutely have to move to a place that won't allow them. Pets or no pets you will be moving if the landlady has her way. I can guarantee it. The pets are NOT the issue. She has other reasons to want you to move. Probably so she can raise the rent for new tenants. Do you have some kind of rent control where you live? Getting rid of your pets won't solve a darn thing. She'll still give you notice after they are gone. Hold your ground. She's just using the pets as an excuse to get you out without going through the proper channels. If she puts the pet reason in the formal notice to quit you may have grounds for a lawsuit. Learn your legal rights.

• matti5
    13 years ago

Jamie, my heart is breaking for you. I know your pain must be enormous.

I volunteer at my local SPCA and we've had several cases similar to yours. When this happens, word goes out via e-mail to all the volunteers, fosters and rescue groups. Each time we have been successful in getting the animals fostered until the owners are able to take them back. Shelters, Humane Societies, etc... have a very large network they work with.

I'm not sure what you have checked into, but I would give this route another try. What suggestions has your vet given you?

I'm keeping you in my prayers! Big hugs!

• hgl_gaylemarie
    13 years ago

You have been given some great information. I would ride the eviction to the end while seeking legal advice.

I also, like the idea of calling a local TV Station.

Keeping positive thoughts for you. I know this is a lot of sadness to wade through. You can beat this!

• wildchild
    13 years ago

Jamie this is an important point. You say your lease will be up in a month. Now you have been living there for six years. Do you mean lease or rental agreement for the year? There is a difference. Many refer to rental agreements as a lease but they are not at all the same thing.

A lease locks the renter into the contract where neither party can break it. The landlord cannot evict without cause and the tenant cannot move out early without incurring penalties.

After the first year most rentals automatically revert to a month to month basis. A lease really doesn't benefit anyone at that point. Sometimes a lease may be written for longer say up to two years for a residence or even longer for commercial properties but for residential it would be out of the norm.

The reason I ask is because if you are not living there under an actual LEASE then she could have asked you leave (with a written notice to quit the property) at any time. If that is the case (no real lease) then I think she is just blowing smoke to get you move.

There is more to this story. it is not about the animals. Why would she care after all these years. Follow the money and you may find out. But she wants you out.

• lilliepad
    13 years ago

Give me her address!LOL I'm sorry Jamie,I know it's not funny! Wildchild has given you some valuable information.Check it all out.I too think money is the real reason she wants you out.Hold your ground.Are either you or your DH handicapped in any way? Sometimes that can make a difference in whether she can force you to leave or not.
    I'll be praying for you to find a place before her deadline that you can afford and keep your pets.Be sure,if she is doing this out of greed she will suffer in the end.What goes around comes around!
    (((((Jamie)))))

• Lily316
    13 years ago

Your landlord is an idiot. I feel so bad for you. I'd alert the media somehow. Yours is a heart breaking story and it might bring some solutions for you. Don't give up your precious pets.

• ont_gal
    13 years ago

awwww...no advice,just hugs and the hopes that this works out for the best for you quickly

• Marilyn Sue McClintock
    13 years ago

Oh, Jamie, I just said a prayer for you and your pets. I don't have an answer for you but will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Sue

• jannie
    13 years ago

Call your local newspaper and see if anyone is willing to print your story. If it gets into print, your landlord(lady) will look like Simon Lagree. A while back, I read of an older widow, living in an apartment, living with a small dog for years,who was told by her landlord she must get rid of the dog. It got into our newspaper and the landlord backed down. The woman also agreed to have no pets after her current dog would pass away. Hope you can work this out. I feel for you.

• sue_il
    13 years ago

My thoughts are with you as well, I understand the attachment to your animals as many others do.

I would try to explore some of the options posted above, especially trying to find foster homes until you can take your pets back into your new home. Also wildchild brought up some excellent points, I know it may seem bleak, but don't give up without a fight!

• Georgysmom
    13 years ago

I don't have any advice either. There seems to be a lot of good "food for thought" from previous posters. Just wanted to offer support through hugs and special thoughts being sent your way. I can't imagine having to part with my pets. To me it's like saying you can stay, but the kids have to go. Good luck, and do follow up on your legal rights and keep looking for another place. There is a good solution out there.

• vala55
    13 years ago

I am sorry you are going through this. I feel there is more to this than we have heard. Why would he change his mind after letting you have them. I was a landlord for over 20 years. We started out allowing pets, but soon changed that rule due to damaged property. My sister has turned her home into a kennel with 3 or 4 dogs, it reeks of dogs when you step in the door. At least it's her property she is ruining.

• Granlan_TX
    13 years ago

Jamie, this is just so wrong and totally uncaring of the landlord. Grrrrr!!

If I was closer, I'd foster them for you.

First thing I thought of was what some have suggested; that is, get in touch with your vet or any vet, or the humane society. Most times, they have information about foster homes.

Even with a foster home, it wouldn't be the same as having your babies to see and love on daily. However, it would be less painful than to never see them or get them back one day. I know you'd be allowed to visit.

I don't guess you have a neighbor or nearby relative who could help? Even if they couldn't take all of your babies, maybe they could help with one or two and the others could do the same.

My heart goes out to you...this is extremely upsetting and should not be allowed to happen. I'm wishing for the best outcome for you and your babies.

Many hugs to you, Sadie and all the rest. Keep us updated, please.

• socks
    13 years ago

Jamie--don't let depression get you down. Be proactive, get on the phone to humane organizations, the local paper, any community outreach organizations, any housing organization. If they cannot help, then ask them where else you could call to get help. Don't stop looking for a new place to live.

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    13 years ago

Yes, I think you should contact someone to find temporary foster homes. That will buy you some time to find another place.

What an awful woman that landlord is! I just don't understand how she can throw that at you right now.

jannie's idea of contacting the newspaper might would help if you feel like dealing with the publicity.

((((jamie)))

• gardenspice
    13 years ago

It sounds to me that she knows she is renting under market value - as you have found and she figures that instead of parting with your pets, you will leave.
    I hope you can find a temporar home for your pets and a resonable alternative for housing.
    Best of luck!

• jennmonkey
    13 years ago

I agree with Jannie. Call the local media. I bet there is another landlord out there needing renters who will see your story and try and help you out.

• Mickey15
    13 years ago

Hugs and prayers Jamie. I'm so sorry for all that you are going through. I wish I lived closer and could help.

• User
    13 years ago

Is there anyone that can take your pets for a while until you can find another place to live?
    I'm so sorry to hear this, ((((((((((((Jamie)))))))
    Call the radio station. Let us know what you find out.

• rosemaryt
    13 years ago

Just wanted to tell you that I understand, too. If I were closer, I'd take them for you.

Losing a job is tough. Financial pressures are tough. And losing your "lovies" on top of all that is extra-tough. I understand why you're feeling overwhelmed, but please try to keep plodding along. I hope tomorrow will be a better day for you.

Your landlord sounds like a mean, callous and thoughtless idiot. :( I hate to think of one human being inflicting this much sadness on another.

I'm sorry and I wish I could do something practical to help you out.

Rose

• wanda_va
    13 years ago

Have you checked out protections under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)?

While it may not help you with all your pets, the dog that Rachel gave you may qualify as a service animal (an emotional support animal, rather than a pet). It would be worth checking out. If your state recognizes the dog as a service animal, your landlord could be fined for violating your rights under the ADA. Good luck. Hugs!

• FlamingO in AR
    13 years ago

Oh, man Pooks, I'd be fuming mad and would just refuse to do it, I think she's trying to force you out, too. Can you enlist Rachel's friends to help? Have you TOLD them you need help? People can't read minds and I'm sure it would hurt to ask, but if ever there was a time, it's now. Put it on Facebook or MySpace or wherever you can, but get the word out that you NEED HELP!

I'd be calling the State's Attorney General, too, to see if this legal. (I'm sure somebody will come in now and correct me that that's not the right person to call, but I'd be calling everyone at every state government level to get some advice and help here.)

Pookie. I'm sorry you're having to deal with this. Get mad, babe. It's way better than sad! And more effective, too!

• jemdandy
    13 years ago

It seems to me that if the lease is expiring, a new one has to negotiated and changes can be made at that time. As far as pets are concerned, read you present lease for any phrases that continues current features to lease renewals.

• debnfla8b
    13 years ago

I don't think you would have one person tell you this is trival because it is not! How heartbreaking for the landlady to do this to you knowing what you have just gone through. She must be one cold hearted (you know what!). The others have really good suggestions and I would definitely get the story to the news!

• linda_in_iowa
    13 years ago

Is there a Legal Aid in your town or nearby? You should be able to get some free legal advice. Your landlady sounds like a real witch (with a b).

• Jamie_LA
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone for the advice. Trust me, I'm reading and taking it all in. she came yesterday to get her rent and I asked her if I could have a month to find them a place. She about died. Gives me 2 weeks. I think I'm going to contact an attorney to see if I have ANY rights. But now we're on a month to month, and that scares me. Again, I want to thank you all for the advice and kind thoughts.

• lynn_d
    13 years ago

I wish I were closer, Jamie, I would keep them for you till you find another home.

• ivamae
    13 years ago

I am just so upset by this. If it were me, I honestly don't know how in the world that I could ever give up my pet. It is going to be extrememly hard when their life is over, but to do this is just terrible, terible, terrible!!!!!. Her heart must be like a stone. Praying for you all and that a sstisfactory solution comes.
    I can hardly keep the tears back. I don't know how you are coping.

Please keep us posted,
    ivamae

• tammyms
    13 years ago

I hope that evcerything works out for you, Jamie. I can't imagine the stress you are under.

Tammy

• zeetera
    13 years ago

Whoa, that's drastic! Is there more going on between you two?

If I were closer or even travelling your way I'd be more than glad to help. If you can think of something that I can do from a distance, please let me know (& I mean that sincerely).

• nodakgal
    13 years ago

Hope an attorney can help you Jamie! I've been reading and reading since you posted. No real advice to offer other than hopes,prayers and very good thoughts!!!

• eccentric
    13 years ago

I remember your previous posting - I replied to it. You have received some excellent advice in reply to this post -as well as to your first post - and I had really been hoping that you had found a new place to live with your beloved pets. I am 100% a pet person and couldn't imagine having to give up any of mine. I hate to ask, but did you follow any of the previously given advice - other than to try and find alternative accommodation? If not, you really are running out of time. I agree with the other posters who said that your landlord wants you out of your current accommodation and is using your pets as an excuse. Next week it will be something else. I live in Toronto, Canada and while a landlord can no longer evict someone for having a pet - they just find another reason. At this point, I would do as I first suggested, speak to my vet - and I really hope you have a long time vet who is nice - and perhaps you can work out something where your pets can stay - say in 2 crates at a drastically reduced rate while you look for new accommodation that will accommodate 4 pets. We adopted many of our pets from people who rescued dogs from kill shelters whose respective times were up and since they already had 8 dogs at home - and Toronto had already gone to a 2 dog limit (but grandfathered those with more when the laws changed)the vet allowed them to board the dogs at the clinic while new homes were sought for them - at a very reasonable rate. Not ideal, but it would give you breathing room. Certainly I would speak with a lawyer and follow all of the suggestions made by the other posters, but you just do not have the luxury of time right now - you have to find a safe place for your pets. I understand how overwhelming this is for you with the loss of Rachel, but she would want you to take care of your pets. And, at age 14 no pet of mine would be going to a new home. It is even possible your vet may know of someone who could help out. You won't know unless you ask. I really hope you find someone to help you.

• Granlan_TX
    13 years ago

Jamie, I'm still hoping you find the solution you need to keep your beloved animals.

And excuse me, but I'm also sending a Million Bad Vibes to your Witch of a Landlord!!! Grrrrrr!!!

• missmaggierock
    13 years ago

(((((Jamie))))))

I feel so sorry for you! I hope you can find comfort
    and peace of mind!

• suzieque
    13 years ago

This is just awful; I completely understand your emotions. My pets and I are attached at the hip; I made commitments to them for life and can't imagine what you're going through.

Please tell us specifically what you've done and each outcome so that we can be helpful in what we suggest, and so that we're not suggesting things you've already tried with no success. Can you pull together a list of things you've tried, and what happened, and post it here? We can add to that list and perhaps join in the effort (perhaps make phone calls, etc.).

• hayjud_mn
    13 years ago

Jamie, I have no advise, but hope you follow up on lots of good suggestions given here.
    I'm sorry thing just keep getting tougher. I wish there was an easy solution. If you can't find a completely satisfactory solution then maybe you will need to settle for a compromise that will satisfy the landlord.
    (((Jamie)))

• joyfulguy
    13 years ago

Hi Jamie,

Do they have a Tenants' Association in your area? I'm sure that they can tell you what the rules may be regarding pets, and whether one cn be forced to get rid of them after they've been in the rented place for whatever number of years.

Also, talk to all of your friends, to find whether someone can care for the pets while you find another place.

That's about all that I can think of to suggest, other that what you've heard.

ole joyful

• suzieque
    13 years ago

jamie, how are you doing today? I keep thinking about your situation and sure wish I could help. Can you post some more about what you've tried and perhaps we can help more? I can't imagine having to give up my pets and don't want you to have to, either. Please read thru the thread again and let us help.

• vala55
    13 years ago

If you are on a month to month in my state she can't kick you out in two weeks. She needs to write a 30 day notice to move out. Did you have any pets when you moved in, have you gotten more since you moved in?

It's a good thing my sis owns her own home. She hasn't had a pet in 30 years, all of a sudden she has 3 dogs. then a daughter moved in who brought ten dogs with her. They did sell some puppies, but the daughter still has 5 or 6 dogs. So now there are 8 or nine dogs in her house, two are labs. She can't let them out at the same time because of a city ordinance. The daughter can't move out because no landlord will rent to her.

• joann23456
    13 years ago

Listen to Wildchild. You need to clarify your legal rights, but even in the most landlord-friendly states, a landlord can't evict without proper written notice, and a tenant can make things very difficult for the landlord.

Have you seen an attorney? I'll bet there's a legal aid in your city that could help. I agree with Wildchild, the pets aren't the issue, so don't treat them as if they were.

I'd spend the weekend gathering up documents you'll need. Get your original lease, if you have it, and any subsequent leases. Sit down with a piece of paper and summarize your dealings with this landlord. When did you move in, when was the rent increased, did you ever have discussions about the pets before this, and so on. Then, on Monday, go talk to an attorney.

I'll tell you, if you lived in Massachusetts, you could drag this out for six months with very little problem. I know that Massachusetts is very tenant-friendly, so you might not get as much time in your state, but don't make it easy for her. Don't just up and move out when she tells you to, unless she's crossed every T and dotted every I.

• joyfulguy
    13 years ago

Find out what the rules are - I think that you'll find that you have more breathing room than you think.

And, as suggested, make a log of all of the relevant material.

ole joyful

• gemini40
    13 years ago

I'll tell you, if you lived in Massachusetts, you could drag this out for six months with very little problem. I know that Massachusetts is very tenant-friendly, so you might not get as much time in your state, but don't make it easy for her. Don't just up and move out when she tells you to, unless she's crossed every T and dotted every I.

That is nothing to be proud of IMO.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths