SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gemini40_gw

Flu shot or No flu shot that is the question?

gemini40
14 years ago

I am not one to run to the doctors for flu shots under most circumstances. Lately seeing all the rhetoric about the H1N1 virus I am getting a little concerned. I am most concerned for my little grandbabies as they attend a daycare setting and are susceptible to every germ that comes along. I don't feel comfortable with the amount of testing and the shortened time span they have had to produce this vaccine. Some folks experience some pretty ugly side affects..so what are you all going to do if anything? On the fence about this one BIG TIME.

june

Comments (46)

• sandy_in_ia
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

This will be my 31st year straight of the flu shot...and yes, I will be getting the H1N1 vaccination also! I have a bad lung (getting worse as I age) and I couldn't take the chance of getting a bad virus! I take every and any precaution necessary!

• sushipup1
    14 years ago

Generally speaking, there are no side effects of the shots that are nearly as bad as actually getting the flu. I'm getting the shots, and yes, this year there will be more than one. Get them all, and be sure that the grandbabies get shots, too, because they are VERY much vulnerable to the worst flu.

• Related Discussions

The high dose flu shot

Q

Comments (36)
    Do you know what Elmer -- 30 years with no flu, living in a big city surrounded by coughing sneezing people -- I'm not predicting a darn thing -- just that it has worked out so far. Glad not to have had thirty shots. And I can tell you that I have twice not followed my doctor's advice. I have given her my reasons. It has happened twice that she told me I was right after the fact. It has happened ONCE that I followed her advice and regretted it -- and she is up to date.. This does not mean I don't follow her advice and then laugh about "I told you so." I trust her to have the most up to date information as I said. I have made some decisions on my own. No, I'm not a doctor. I know that. I'm not an automaton. I weigh the options and make my decision and live with it.
    ...See More

Flu shots.

Q

Comments (38)
    "However there are people that for medical reasons can't have vaccines that are egg-attenuated such as the flu shot." To clarify the wording used: Many vaccines are produced in eggs. Someone with egg sensitivity or allergy may have a reaction to residual egg cells in a vaccine. Flu vaccines are available that are not grown in eggs and so can avoid this problem. At the same time, there are egg-produced vaccines that are not attenuated. Someone with egg sensitivity would ask "is this vaccine egg-produced", not "is this vaccine attenuated". Of course our resident microbiologist, former member of the "medical profession" knows that and just used the wrong verbiage. We all do that from time to time. Vaccines
    ...See More

Senior dosage flu shots

Q

Comments (73)
    I got mine today... when I called the grocery store pharmacy to see if I needed an appt she said no. I asked if they were busy with people wanting them she said yes. I told her I was coming on my lunch hour, so she took my info over the phone to help expedite me when I got there. Nice! Anyhow, she said she had to ask me a delicate question... how old am I? I didn't ask why she was asking, but thanks to this post, this is probably why! I laughed to myself about the "delicate" question - I'll tell anybody my age, but I was afraid it might be how much do you weigh? Now that's a delicate question!
    ...See More

PSA about flu shots

Q

Comments (25)
    I rescheduled my Shingrix shot yesterday because I had to run some errands after and a friend passed out from hers while running errands so I decided to wait. They said it would be OK to reschedule. I broke my foot once just by tripping on a step. Similar to yours, bone at the base of the toe. It was just a crack but the cast was a real PITA for a LONG time. As a kid, I had a big reaction of the measles shot, broke out in a rash all over which lasted a day or two. Still worth it, I had three Great Aunts who were deaf plus my grandmother, all due to childhood German measles. But a person should be aware that vaccinations are not totally benign. They save lives but don't freak if there is a side effect. A lot of life saving medications are the same way. I'd much prefer not to be extremely sick for weeks, pass on the sickness to other vulnerable folks, or maybe even have a lethal complication. I'll take the shot, but take it with full knowledge and fully prepared.
    ...See More
  • Vickey__MN
    14 years ago

I get frustrated when I talk to people who say they got the shot then the next day or so they had the flu..vomiting, diahrea, etc. PEOPLE, that is not the flu, that is a virus, and was NOT caused by the flu shot. The FLU is short for inFLUenza, not the flu as we call most virus that make us vomit. InFLUenza that the shot is hoping to prevent or lessen is upper resporitory. I plan on getting mine this year. I usually wait as I am not in a high-risk group (although DH is diabetic and is, so I could get it early since I live with someone in a high risk group).

Vickey-MN

• susanjf_gw
    14 years ago

don't know abut the special one, but i assume the oncologist will give me the reg one...my dd1 for sure. she works with the current high risk group, pregnant women...

• monica_pa Grieves
    14 years ago

I have refused flu shots for years(until the last 2 years at Dr's insistance)...my old HS boyfriend was one of those who died from complications of the last swine flu vaccine years ago.

I'm not sure what I will do this year.

• mcmann
    14 years ago

If there's enough to go around I'll get one too. I think I've received one for that last 8 years.

• grammahony
    14 years ago

I'll be getting both flu shots. Like mcmann, I've been getting them for about 8/9 years. Ever since I had the flu real bad.
    Leslie

• lindaohnowga
    14 years ago

We get our flu shots every year, so will get whatever doc has for us. Years ago, a swine flu vaccine was given and we got that shot then. As someone else stated, the shots do "not" make you sick, they are to "prevent" you from getting the strains deemed most deadly, but in no way protect you from "all" the various strains out there.

• wildchild
    14 years ago

Never had one and not sure if I've ever had the flu either. Back in the day everything was called the flu. People still call stuff that's not influenza "the flu".

I don't eat at buffets and stay away from crowds during flu season.

• Marilyn Sue McClintock
    14 years ago

I have gotten one for years. I haven't thought about the one for swine flu. I guess a couple have it that work in the office where my Granddaughter works!

Sue

• socks
    14 years ago

I have never had a flu shot. I'll think about it this year--there are two you know, one for swine and one for other.

• gadgets
    14 years ago

I used to get a flu shot every year. I worked for a school and it was not required but very strongly recommended. Then I developed a sensitivity to eggs, so no flu shot now for about 6 years.

Shirley

• lunchlady1948
    14 years ago

I got my 1st ever flu shot this last year~~I work in an elementary cafe it is not required~~I just happened to be in my senior center when my medical group was there offering them for $20, being a member I got it free so I did. I usually get really horrible cold and sinus problems at least 3X's every school year. This year I got none~~~not sure if it is the flu shot or the fact I now have a nasal spray and meds for allergies. I am thankful for which ever one it was and will be getting another shot this year and taking my meds love em!!!

• nodakgal
    14 years ago

NO! Neither DH nor I will get the Swine flu shot. We will do all we can to prevent DD from giving the DGS's one also. I am hoping and praying DGD's Mother does the same for her.
    We don't usually get the flu shots either. My Uncle in the nursing home has, he still gets bugs all winter long.

• clubm
    14 years ago

I will get the shot. I work in a science center where there are crowds of school children on trips.

• kathi_mdgd
    14 years ago

I have never gotten the shot and never had the flu,so am on the fence about this one as well.I hardly go out anymore and when i do it's usually to the dr,or a quick trip to the store.I know i could pick it up in both of these places,but i'm believing i won't.DH on the other hand gets one every year.
    Kathi

• lindyluwho
    14 years ago

No, DH and I will not get a flu shot. Last time he had one was in the 60s in the military. He had a really nasty reaction to it. I haven't had one in decades. Last time I had one I got the worse flu I've ever had that year. I guess I had a different stain. Flu shot doesn't equal no flu.

Linda

• susan_on
    14 years ago

I will definitely get one. I work with the public and many of my clients are unhealthy. My doctor strongly recommends it and that's good enough for me.

• petaloid
    14 years ago

I get the yearly vaccination as soon as it is available. I teach preschool, so for me, it's a necessity.

• frostedc
    14 years ago

I usually wait, and see what's happening in Europe first.
    Their flu season is earlier than ours, and is a good representation, of what the US flu season will be.

Here is a link that might be useful: WHO/Europe influenza surveillance

• jennmonkey
    14 years ago

Never have and don't plan on ever getting one. I don't care what anyone says, I've known too many people to get severely ill right after getting one. Too many for me to think it's a coincidence.

• sheilajoyce_gw
    14 years ago

newsHome News Sport TV&Showbiz Femail Health Science&Tech Money Debate Coffee Break Property Motoring Travel News Home World news Headlines Pictures Most read News Board My Profile Logout Login Find a Job Dating Wine E-Editions Feedback My Stories Tuesday, Aug 18 2009 This Evening 14C Tomorrow Morning 26°C 5-Day Forecast Swine flu jab link to killer nerve disease: Leaked letter reveals concern of neurologists over 25 deaths in America
    By Jo Macfarlane
    Last updated at 11:05 PM on 15th August 2009
    Comments (46) Add to My Stories
    Prevention: Is the swine flu jab safe?

A warning that the new swine flu jab is linked to a deadly nerve disease has been sent by the Government to senior neurologists in a confidential letter.
    The letter from the Health Protection Agency, the official body that oversees public health, has been leaked to The Mail on Sunday, leading to demands to know why the information has not been given to the public before the vaccination of millions of people, including children, begins.

It tells the neurologists that they must be alert for an increase in a brain disorder called Guillain-Barre Syndrome (GBS), which could be triggered by the vaccine.
    GBS attacks the lining of the nerves, causing paralysis and inability to breathe, and can be fatal.

The letter, sent to about 600 neurologists on July 29, is the first sign that there is concern at the highest levels that the vaccine itself could cause serious complications.
    It refers to the use of a similar swine flu vaccine in the United States in 1976 when:

More people died from the vaccination than from swine flu.
    500 cases of GBS were detected.
    The vaccine may have increased the risk of contracting GBS by eight times.
    The vaccine was withdrawn after just ten weeks when the link with GBS became clear.
    The US Government was forced to pay out millions of dollars to those affected.
    Concerns have already been raised that the new vaccine has not been sufficiently tested and that the effects, especially on children, are unknown.
    It is being developed by pharmaceutical companies and will be given to about 13million people during the first wave of immunisation, expected to start in October.
    Top priority will be given to everyone aged six months to 65 with an underlying health problem, pregnant women and health professionals.
    The British Neurological Surveillance Unit (BNSU), part of the British Association of Neurologists, has been asked to monitor closely any cases of GBS as the vaccine is rolled out.
    One senior neurologist said last night: ÂI would not have the swine
    flu jab because of the GBS risk.Â

There are concerns that there could be a repeat of what became known as the Â1976 debacle in the US, where a swine flu vaccine killed 25 people  more than the virus itself.
    A mass vaccination was given the go-ahead by President Gerald Ford because scientists believed that the swine flu strain was similar to the one responsible for the 1918-19 pandemic, which killed half a million Americans and 20million people worldwide.
    The swine flu vaccine being offered to children has not been tested on infants
    Within days, symptoms of GBS were reported among those who had been immunised and 25 people died from respiratory failure after severe paralysis. One in 80,000 people came down with the condition. In contrast, just one person died of swine flu.

More than 40million Americans had received the vaccine by the time the programme was stopped after ten weeks. The US Government paid out millions of dollars in compensation to those affected.

The swine flu virus in the new vaccine is a slightly different strain from the 1976 virus, but the possibility of an increased incidence of GBS remains a concern.

Shadow health spokesman Mike Penning said last night: ÂThe last thing we want is secret letters handed around experts within the NHS. We need a vaccine but we also need to know about potential risks.

ÂOur job is to make sure that the public knows whatÂs going on. Why
    is the Government not being open about this? ItÂs also very worrying if GPs, who will be administering the vaccine, arenÂt being warned.Â

Two letters were posted together to neurologists advising them of the concerns. The first, dated July 29, was written by Professor Elizabeth Miller, head of the HPAÂs Immunisation Department.
    It says: ÂThe vaccines used to combat an expected swine influenza pandemic in 1976 were shown to be associated with GBS and were withdrawn from use.

ÂGBS has been identified as a condition needing enhanced surveillance when the swine flu vaccines are rolled out.
    ÂReporting every case of GBS irrespective of vaccination or disease history is essential for conducting robust epidemiological analyses capable of identifying whether there is an increased risk of GBS in defined time periods after vaccination, or after influenza itself, compared with the background risk.Â

The second letter, dated July 27, is from the Association of British Neurologists and is written by Dr Rustam Al-Shahi Salman, chair of its surveillance unit, and Professor Patrick Chinnery, chair of its clinical research committee.
    Halted: The 1976 US swine flu campaign

It says: ÂTraditionally, the BNSU has monitored rare diseases for long periods of time. However, the swine influenza (H1N1) pandemic has overtaken us and we need every memberÂs involvement with a new BNSU survey of Guillain-Barre Syndrome that will start on August 1 and run for approximately nine months.
    ÂFollowing the 1976 programme of vaccination against swine influenza in the US, a retrospective study found a possible eight-fold increase in the incidence of GBS.

ÂActive prospective ascertainment of every case of GBS in the UK is required. Please tell BNSU about every case.

ÂYou will have seen Press coverage describing the GovernmentÂs concern about releasing a vaccine of unknown safety.Â

If there are signs of a rise in GBS after the vaccination programme begins, the Government could decide to halt it.

GBS attacks the lining of the nerves, leaving them unable to transmit signals to muscles effectively.
    It can cause partial paralysis and mostly affects the hands and feet. In serious cases, patients need to be kept on a ventilator, but it can be fatal.

Death is caused by paralysis of the respiratory system, causing the victim to suffocate.
    It is not known exactly what causes GBS and research on the subject has been inconclusive.
    However, it is thought that one in a million people who have a seasonal flu vaccination could be at risk and it has also been linked to people recovering from a bout of flu of any sort.

The HPA said it was part of the GovernmentÂs pandemic plan to monitor GBS cases in the event of a mass vaccination campaign, regardless of the strain of flu involved.
    But vaccine experts warned that the letters proved the programme was a Âguinea-pig trialÂ.

Dr Tom Jefferson, co-ordinator of the vaccines section of the influential Cochrane Collaboration, an independent group that reviews research, said: ÂNew vaccines never behave in the way you expect them to. It may be that there is a link to GBS, which is certainly not something I would wish on anybody.

ÂBut it could end up being anything because one of the additives in one of the vaccines is a substance called squalene, and none of the studies weÂve extracted have any research on it at all.Â

He said squalene, a naturally occurring enzyme, could potentially cause so-far-undiscovered side effects.

Jackie Fletcher, founder of vaccine support group Jabs, said: ÂThe Government would not be anticipating this if they didnÂt think there was a connection. What weÂve got is a massive guinea-pig trial.Â

Professor Chinnery said: ÂDuring the last swine flu pandemic, it was observed that there was an increased frequency of cases of GBS. No one knows whether it was the virus or the vaccine that caused this.

ÂThe purpose of the survey is for us to assess rapidly whether there is an increase in the frequency of GBS when the vaccine is released in the UK. It also increases consultants awareness of the condition.
    Panic over? The number of swine flu cases has fallen sharply in the past few weeks
    ÂThis is a belt-and-braces approach to safety and is not something people should be substantially worried about as itÂs a rare condition.Â

If neurologists do identify a case of GBS, it will be logged on a central database.

Details about patients, including blood samples, will be collected and monitored by the HPA.

It is hoped this will help scientists establish why some people develop the condition and whether it is directly related to the vaccine.

But some question why there needs to be a vaccine, given the risks. Dr Richard Halvorsen, author of The Truth About Vaccines, said: ÂFor people with serious underlying health problems, the risk of dying from swine flu is probably greater than the risk of side effects from the vaccine.

ÂBut it would be tragic if we repeated the US example and ended up with more casualties from the jabs.

ÂI applaud the Government for recognising the risk but in most cases this is a mild virus which needs a few days in bed. IÂd question why we need a vaccine at all.Â

Professor Miller at the HPA said: ÂThis monitoring system activates pandemic plans that have been in place for a number of years. WeÂll be able to get information on whether a patient has had a prior influenza illness and will look at whether influenza itself is linked to GBS.

ÂWe are not expecting a link to the vaccine but a link to disease, which would make having the vaccine even more important.Â

The UKÂs medicines watchdog, the Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency, is already monitoring reported side effects from Tamiflu and Relenza and it is set to extend that surveillance to the vaccine.

A Department of Health spokesperson said: ÂThe European Medicines Agency has strict processes in place for licensing pandemic vaccines.

ÂIn preparing for a pandemic, appropriate trials to assess safety and the immune responses have been carried out on vaccines very similar to the swine flu vaccine. The vaccines have been shown to have a good safety profile.
    ÂIt is extremely irresponsible to suggest that the UK would use a vaccine without careful consideration of safety issues. The UK has one of the most successful immunisation programmes in the world.Â
    I COULDN''T EAT OR SPEAK... IT WAS HORRENDOUS

Victim: Hilary Wilkinson spent three months in hospital after she was diagnosed with Guillain-Barre Syndrome
    When Hilary Wilkinson woke up with muscle weakness in her left arm and difficulty breathing, doctors initially put it down to a stroke.
    But within hours, she was on a ventilator in intensive care after being diagnosed with Guillain-Barre Syndrome.

She spent three months in hospital and had to learn how to talk and walk again. But at times, when she was being fed through a drip and needed a tracheotomy just to breathe, she doubted whether she would survive.
    The mother of two, 57, from Maryport, Cumbria, had been in good health until she developed a chest infection in March 2006. She gradually became so weak she could not walk downstairs.
    Doctors did not diagnose Guillain-Barre until her condition worsened in hospital and tests showed her reflexes slowing down. It is impossible for doctors to know how she contracted the disorder, although it is thought to be linked to some infections.
    Mrs Wilkinson said: ÂIt was very scary. I couldnÂt eat and I couldnÂt speak. My arms and feet had no strength and breathing was hard.
    I was treated with immunoglobulin, which are proteins found in blood, to stop damage to my nerves. After ten days, I still couldnÂt speak and had to mime to nurses or my family.

ÂIt was absolutely horrendous and I had no idea whether I would get through it. You reach very dark moments at such times and wonder how long it can last.

But IÂm a very determined person and I had lots of support.Â

After three weeks, she was transferred to a neurological ward, where she had an MRI scan and nerve tests to assess the extent of the damage.

Still unable to speak and in a wheelchair, Mrs Wilkinson eventually began gruelling physiotherapy to improve her muscle strength and movement but it was exhausting and painful.
    Three years later, she is almost fully recovered. She can now walk for several miles at a time, has been abroad and carries out voluntary work for a GBS Support Group helpline.

She said: ÂIt makes me feel wary that the Government is rolling out this vaccine without any clear idea of the GBS risk, if any. I wouldnÂt wish it on anyone and it certainly changed my life.

ÂIÂm frightened to have the swine flu vaccine if this might happen again  itÂs a frightening illness and I think more research needs to be done on the effect of the vaccine.Â

Hotline staff given access to confidential records

Confidential NHS staff records and disciplinary complaints could be accessed by hundreds of workers manning the GovernmentÂs special swine flu hotline.

They were able to browse through a database of emails containing doctors and nurses National Insurance numbers, home addresses, dates of birth, mobile phone numbers and scanned passport pages  all details that could be used fraudulently.

And private and confidential complaints sent by hospitals about temporary medical staff  some of whom were named  were also made available to the call-centre workers, who were given a special password to log in to an internal NHS website.

It could be a breach of the Data Protection Act.
    The hotline staff work for NHS Professionals, which was set up using taxpayers money to employ temporary medical and administrative staff for the health service.

The not-for-profit company runs two of the GovernmentÂs swine flu call centres  with 300 staff in Farnborough, Hampshire, and 900 in Watford, Hertfordshire.
    Shadow Health Secretary Andrew Lansley described the revelations as ÂdisturbingÂ.

Anne Mitchell, a spokeswoman for Unison, said: ÂThereÂs no excuse for such a fundamental breach of personal security. Action needs to be taken as soon as possible to make sure this does not happen again.Â

A spokeswoman for NHS Professionals would not confirm whether access to the confidential files had been granted.
    Explore more:People: Mike Penning, Andrew Lansley Places: Maryport, United Kingdom, America Print this article Read later Email to a friend Share this article: Digg it Del.icio.us Reddit Newsvine Nowpublic StumbleUpon Facebook MySpace Fark Add your comments Comments (46)Here's what readers have had to say so far. Why not add your thoughts below, or debate this issue live on our message boards.
    The comments below have been moderated in advance.
    Newest Oldest Best rated Worst rated View all I am 70 yrs old and do not plan to have this flu vaccine. I believe that practicing good hygiene, washing hands frequently, eating propery and getting proper rest will provide better protection than a questionable injection. If you have symptoms, see a medical practicioner. Hopefully, that's not a problem in the UK. It's not a problem here yet! Stay healthy!
    - Lynn, Suwanee, GA, 16/8/2009 04:37
    Click to rate Rating 293 Report abuse
    This is horrible! They had better know the public about this danger. I will let as many of my family and friends know about this problem. Thank you for your report. Also, you are in a position to disseminate information; please stay alert and continue to keep us posted, OK?
    - Arctic Lion, Tucson, Arizona USA, 16/8/2009 04:31
    Click to rate Rating 196 Report abuse
    No Thanks to the vaccine. I'll deal with the swine flu the natural way.
    - Dubya, Denver,USA, 16/8/2009 04:03
    Click to rate Rating 293 Report abuse
    I am not going to get the Swine flu shot. YIKES!!!
    - Barbara, Sagamore Hills, OH USA, 16/8/2009 03:59
    Click to rate Rating 212 Report abuse
    WE are SOOOOOOOO screwed!

If this vaccine causes adverse effects, it will make controlling the flu epidemic it even harder.

Furthermore, whether it is in Europe, UK, or the US, many people will have even more angry-and protests- if they are forced by government mandate to take the vaccine.

Analysis of antigen antibody reactions SHOULD have been done BEFORE the government (US or UK) approved this vaccine. Rushed work IS shoddy work.

WHO's head must roll for this stupidity?

WE all need to pray-now!
    - Lawrence, Ludlow, MAssachusetts-USA, 16/8/2009 03:18
    Click to rate Rating 185 Report abuse
    As a teacher I am always getting cold from my kids. I usually get the normal flu shot, but I will not risk the Swine Flu Shot. Government Science is just too risky.
    - Ellery, Bakersfield, USA, 16/8/2009 03:07
    Click to rate Rating 231 Report abuse
    The views expressed in the contents above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of MailOnline.
    Add your comment Name: Town & Country: Your name and location will appear next to your comment.Your comments:You have 1000 characters left. We welcome your opinions. This is a public forum. Libellous and abusive comments are not allowed. Please read our House Rules.
    I agree to the House Rules

Remember me - this will save you having to type out your name and location when you next leave a comment.
    For information about privacy and cookies please read our Privacy Policy.TermsClearSubmit Content Ads By Google
    Alzheimer's Secrets MostFamilies Will Never Know AboutHow To Pay for Alzheimer's Care
    PayingForAlzheimersCare.com
    Crohns Disease CureFree Email Newsletter onCrohns Disease & Digestive Health.
    smartbrief.com
    Occupational Lung DiseaseLocal Resources aboutOccupational Lung Disease
    Lungs.QuickeGuide.com Enter search term: Search Advanced Search FEMAIL TODAY Has Keira Knightley's bust been boosted again?
    It seems the airbrushers worked overtime on the new Chanel ad Super-slim Renèe Zellweger flaunts slender frame in figure-hugging dress
    But she'll soon be piling on pounds to play Bridget Jones for third time Mr and Mrs Glum: The Beckhams rally together for a family meal after David's disastrous LA Galaxy match
    Not a smile in sight as they dined in Beverly Hills 'I'm so happy': Celine Dion pregnant with second child at 41
    Singer and husband Rene Angelil, 67, were desperate for a new addition to their family Hardeep Singh Kohli lands new BBC role despite One Show ban for 'harrassing women'
    He'll present a five-part series on British culture on Radio 4 'Brad Pitt offered me drugs,' reveals Quentin Tarantino
    Brad claims he quit cannabis years ago, but the Inglourious Basterds director begs to differ Brian McFadden bids to get his children from Kerry Katona following 'drug' scandal
    Another bombshell for Kerry, who has also been sacked by Iceland I saved my newborn daughter's life after my pregnant wife was turned away by hospital
    Tony Molloy delivered baby Rosalyn only to find she wasn't breathing What's happened to your lips, Lindsay? Miss Lohan sports a suspicious trout pout
    Her plumped up mouth attracted attention at a New York film premiere Jennifer Ellison pregnant with her first child
    The former Brookside actress and fiancé Robbie Tickle expecting a baby in the new year I found my dream £700 wedding dress for 99p on eBay
    Natalie Mapletoft slashed cost of her wedding from £11k to £5k by using online auction site All aboard: Peter Andre takes his children for a boat trip
    Singer had a day at sea with his family after 1.7m tuned into his ITV2 documentary Doing a Demi: Pregnant Lisa Scott-Lee proudly bares her baby bump
    Former Steps singer claims nude pose was liberating experience and made her feel sexy Coronation Street star Kym Marsh bonds with her on-screen son between takes
    The pair headed off for lunch together once the cameras stopped rolling She's Elle-bent on copying Posh! Miss Macpherson wears a DVB dress for the FOURTH time
    Model really is Mrs Beckham's biggest fan Today's headlines Most Read Wren arrested after '£5m cocaine haul' is found on destroyer Public school teacher facing jail after having lesbian affair with pupil Young father dies in maternity unit hours before first son is born Father turned away from hospital with pregnant wife delivers baby on bathroom floor Widow of soldier killed in Afghanistan becomes first person to receive Elizabeth Cross Two villages cleared and roads closed as huge WW2 bomb is exploded 'Punctuation hero' branded a vandal for painting apostrophes on street signs Mother's outrage after Met officers stop and search nine-year-old Temperatures set to soar in one-day heatwave Mother lucky to be alive after fridge mysteriously exploded turning house into 'bomb site' Bride walks down the aisle in dream £700 dress she found on eBay for 99p DNA evidence can be faked, scientists warn Hero Blunkett Bobbies wrestle knife man to the ground after eight people are stabbed The rise of the Neet: Record numbers of young unemployed Magistrates' fears over new police powers to give drivers £60 on-the-spot fines Pictured: Horrific moment horse is hit by rally car and catapulted 10 metres into the air Tories could pay private school fees for parents who lose their jobs Rail fares set to fall... but food bills go up Every little helps: Tesco cash machine pays customers DOUBLE after 'operational error' Men who snore 'twice as likely to die early' Russia arrests eight people suspected of hijacking 'ghost ship' Arctic Sea Professor and wife killed by a pack of dogs Lockerbie bomber 'has been sending clothes back to Libya for six weeks' Unmasked: The Joker behind the spoof Barack Obama poster Farmer dies after being trampled by cows Man arrested for faking his own suicide live on the internet Council ordered to pay £100,000 to family of Alzheimer's sufferer after refusing to pay her care home fees Superdrug takes on big brands with £1 skincare range Film maker is taken to court for stealing 0.003p - at a cost of over £5,000 to the taxpayer MORE HEADLINES
    Richard and Judy's daughter charged with drink-driving after her car is found overturned
    Father drops dead in maternity unit hours before first son is born
    Pictured: Horrific moment wild horse is hit by rally car and catapulted 30ft into the air Woman gives birth on pavement 'after being refused ambulance and told to walk'
    Teacher 'pregnant with record-breaking TWELVE babies'
    'Punctuation hero' branded a vandal for painting apostrophes on street signs
    Terrified children left hanging above lion enclosure for two hours after power cut at theme park
    Pensioner 'battered to death at bus stop in broad daylight... for asking thug to move his feet'
    Angry motorists torch speed camera in backlash against scores of tickets issued in just three days
    Every Little Helps: Tesco cash machine pays customers DOUBLE after 'operational error'
    British students insist they WERE robbed in Brazil... but admit lying to pad out their fraud
    Wren arrested with '£5m cocaine haul' on Royal Navy destroyer returning from anti-drugs operation
    Soldiers, one a newlywed, killed in Afghanistan explosion as they tried to save wounded commander
    Pictured: The dramatic moment man scattering grandmother's ashes jumped off pier to rescue drowning dog
    Temperatures set to soar in one-day heatwave... but thunder is on the way
    Magistrates warn police will misuse new powers to give careless drivers £60 on-the-spot fines
    World's biggest yo-yo dieter lost 65 STONE... then piled them back on again
    Two entire villages cleared and roads closed as huge WW2 bomb is exploded
    Public school teacher facing jail after having lesbian affair with teenage pupil
    Planning laws DO favour gipsies and travellers, admits minister
    MOST READ IN DETAIL
    EDITOR'S SIX OF THE BEST RICHARD LITTLEJOHN: Screaming Lord Mandy's nauseating flying circus
    Sea captain's pocket watch lost in a shipwreck 130 years ago finally returned to his family
    'My baby!' Violinist's cry of relief as he is reunited with £400,000 instrument found in New York cab through GPS
    The building blocks of life are found on comet for first time
    Poor old ugly Mugly: Yobs attack Britain's ugliest dog and tear out his last tuft of hair
    Lie above Marilyn for $4.5m. Widow auctions off husband's burial plot over Monroe's
    ADVERTORIAL FEATURESWorld's Biggest Coffee Event
    Feel good and make a real difference by taking part in the World's Biggest Coffee Morning. Hellmann's Alfresco Feast
    Fancy hosting a fabulous summer barbecue? Enter our competition and you could win everything you need! Enjoy England
    WIN! A fantastic two-night luxury family break in Birmingham Advertisers

Free car insurance for our millionth customer at Swiftcover.com

BT BUSINESS BROADBAND Special offer when you buy online NOW

Tesco Groceries Groceries delivered to your door 7 days a week

Mail Partners

SALE NOW ON!
    Grab a bargain at our Femail Fashion Store

CALLS ABROAD FOR LESS
    Save up to 85% in over 175 countries

SAVE MONEY ABROAD
    with our free prepaid MasterCard®

SEARCH
    for UK properties for Sale and to Rent

FIND THOUSANDS
    of new and used cars for sale

MAIL DATING
    intro offer: £3 for the first 3 month. Save £62.97

FREE MOVIES
    30 days free DVD Rental

NEW FREE
    Fantasy Football. Win up to £5,000

SAVE MONEY NOW
    Cut thousands off your yearly spend with thisismoney.co.uk

Mail Bingo
    Join and get up to £125 free!

TRAVELMAIL GOLD Concierge Service 3 month FREE trial

Ads By Google
    Degenerative Disc ReliefMinimally Invasive Procedures.Fast Recovery. No Hospitalization.
    www.Bonati.com
    H1N1 Vaccine + FacemaskExport from SwedenPlease contact our headoffice
    www.swetradepharma.com
    Lou Gehrig Disease InfoFind Info on Causes, Symptoms,Treatments & More - Faster w/Bing Â
    www.Bing.com
    Lyme diseaseDiagnosis of tic born illnesseswith innovative treatment programs
    www.HoltorfMed.com
    Alzheimer's Breakthrough.Featured in Wordwide Press & Media.View Patient Videos & Details Here.
    nrimed.com
    Chrons diseaseWhat is CrohnÂs Disease?Symptoms, Treatment Information
    www.healthcentral.com
    Is it Crohn's Disease?It could be Ulcerative Colitis.Check your symptoms and find out.
    yourtotalhealth.ivillage.com
    5 Worst Vaccines ExposedLeading doctor reveals vaccinedangers in free report.
    www.douglassreport.com Back to top Home News Sport TV&Showbiz Femail Health Science&Tech Money Debate Coffee Break Property Motoring Travel Sitemap Newsletters RSS Archive Text-based site Top of page
    Daily Mail Mail on Sunday Widgets This is Network This is London This is Money
    Metro Loot Jobsite Dating Find a property Motors Prime location Lasting Tribute Published by Associated Newspapers Ltd
    Part of the Daily Mail, The Mail on Sunday & Metro Media Group

© 2009 Associated Newspapers Ltd
    Contact us Terms Privacy policy Advertise with us

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1206807/Swine-flu-jab-link-killer-nerve-disease-Leaked-letter-reveals-concern-neurologists-25-deaths-America.html#ixzz0OZb1zqIz

• Terri_PacNW
    14 years ago

Not happening.

• gemini40
    Original Author
    14 years ago

This is very disturbing to a lot of folks. Just read an article that said.. washing hands regularly and taking 5000 units of vitaminD3 would be as good a protection as getting the vaccine. almost sounds too good to be true..but no harm in trying it. So tomorrow I will get my first bottle of that vitamin. It said to be good for combating back pain, and also helps with combatting feelings of depression, primarily due to lack of sun. It also was just prescribed to a friend who has heart issues too.

• carol_in_california
    14 years ago

Guillian Barr syndrome has been around as long as I can remember....not a good thing to have.
    I always get the regular flu immunization because of my asthma but not even sure I will qualify for the Swine flu vaccine. I don't seem to meet the guidelines....I am over 65.
    I have the influenza twice......I was young and healthy prior and it knocked me down flat both times.
    Even though people get the flu vaccine, they can still get colds and respiratory infections. The vaccine is more specific for whatever kind of influenza the scientists think might be going to cause a problem.

• gemini40
    Original Author
    14 years ago

This is very disturbing to a lot of folks. Just read an article that said.. washing hands regularly and taking 5000 units of vitaminD3 would be as good a protection as getting the vaccine. almost sounds too good to be true..but no harm in trying it. So tomorrow I will get my first bottle of that vitamin. It said to be good for combating back pain, and also helps with combatting feelings of depression, primarily due to lack of sun. It also was just prescribed to a friend who has heart issues too.

• FlamingO in AR
    14 years ago

Our doctor friends told us to wait at least 6 months before getting a new flu vaccination, to give them time to work all the bugs out of it. If they say to wait, I'm waiting. I might skip it entirely, anyway. I don't usually get a flu shot unless I have a winter vacation planned.

I don't like it when they're rushing to get a product on the market or into distribution. Too scary for me. I won't be one of their guinea pigs.

• jannie
    14 years ago

I gat a flu shot every year, and only one year did I have a reaction. I think it was 2005 0r 2006. A day after my shot, I developed a headache and fever that lasted under 24 hours. Or could have been a oincidence. I'll continue getting them, and if they offer a second for swine flu, I'll take it.

• stargazzer
    14 years ago

They use influenza as a scare tactic to get us to take the shots. Thousands or millions died from it in the 20's because they did not know how to fight it and had nothing to fight it with. My doctor wasn't at all concerned because I didn't get a flu shot, he said the influenza in the 20's was nothing but a cold that turned into pneumonia and we have meds that stops it. My doctor's nurse won't take it and at my heart doctor's office I heard the girls at the front desk talking about how sick they got from the shot. In researching Alzheimer's I found a site put up by the top immunologist in this country and he said, if you have had two flu shots you have a 20% chance of getting Alzheimer's. He said it's rampant and one day there will be so many there will be no room for them in care homes and they will be on the streets.

• casey_nfld
    14 years ago

I will not be getting the shot. I don't work so I am not around alot of people anyway. But even if I were I still would not get the shot. There's not even any guarantee that it will be effective! Canada is preparing to do a country-wide immunization of everyone who wants it (for free), I won't be lining up for it.

• kathleen44
    14 years ago

This is constantly asked every year.

I do take one and have for years because I used to look after children and got sick too much with pnuemonia/bronchitis, the flus would go straight down to my chest and lungs and I would slowly cough and then every year coughed more and more months to the point where the pharmacist told my dad that I will end up with chronic bronchitis very soon and that isn't good. I ended up with two inhalers at one point. I was wheezing and totally wiped out, stairs did me in. I was so tired and would fall asleep at the drop of a hat.

so, then the doctor started giving me a flu shot. If he isn't there when I go in for mine that year, the doctor will say you are too young, no, I am prone to respitory.

I also freak out when I hear coughing. And I will stay away from alot during the winter months, do not even want to go to doctors during December to February or March and will ask for early prescriptions. I am that parnoid in getting it.

Its up to every individual what their health problems are, if they are prone, if they get sick lots every year.

I also get my pnuemonia shot too when its due.

• lisa_fla
    14 years ago

I have never had a flu shot. I agree about a lot of shots being fast tracked. If the swine flu was especially deadly I might reconsider, but it seems like any other flu-just spreads a bit faster. From what I understand, people are expectd to get 1 regular flu shot and 2 swine flu shots. One of my DD's is in a high risk group, but I'm not sure what we will do.

• minnie_tx
    14 years ago

There is a lot of controversy about it and reports of it causing nerve damage just do a Google and get information.
    Also it is reported on some sites of a military forced deal somehow

• sjerin
    14 years ago

No, Stargazzer, the flu is a virus, and that is the cause for concern because antibiotics don't do anything for it. Many people with compromised immune systems die of the flu every year. I believe the concern now is that h1n1 might mutate into something worse and easily spread; also the h1n1 seems to affect younger people much more often than older folks. After getting hit with an 11-day fever several years ago, I've taken the regular flu shot every year. Haven't made up my mind about the h1n1 vaccination yet, if it's offered to generally healthy people, but my reluctance is because of the short time to market.

• pattico_gw
    14 years ago

I've never had one yet...and so far I've never had the flu of any kind......

• sheilajoyce_gw
    14 years ago

I guess I will skip it with all the problems reported about it for the H1N1.

• marilyn_c
    14 years ago

No way. I have never had a flu shot, and like Wildchild, as far as I know, I have never had the flu. I haven't even had a cold in over 10 years...maybe as long as 15. I can't even remember the last time I had a cold. I have no allergies even.

I am not at all afraid of needles, but I am not one for vaccinations. I didn't have childhood vaccinations. I think they are an undue stress on your immune system. I am probably healthier than almost anyone I know...especially for my age.

• Pawprint
    14 years ago

I get a flu shot every year. They are offered free at my job and on site, so its very convenient. I dont know about the H1N1 for me. I would like it, but from what I hear, there isnt enough to go around. I HATE being sick, Ill take a shot any day.

• maryanntx
    14 years ago

I've never had a flu shot and don't plan to get one. I guess if my oncologist insisted, I would think about it as I trust him completely. I agree with Flamey about the rush job on the new vaccine.

• bigfoot_liz
    14 years ago

i am on the fence as to whether it is good to have the H1N1 shot or not. BTW my background is a BS in biology w/ a specialization in both plant sciences and medical microbiology (taught at IU med school). i have a special interest in unusual viruses. i do not even read information about medical things until i look at credentials and personal opinions mean nothing to my scientifically trained mind. i am interested only in verifiable info thru proven scientific routes (CDC, AMSRID, WHO, some universities w/ elite medical schools only etc..) there is soooooo much incorrect non-scientific info out there it's sad what people think and know on issues like this.

it truly doesn't matter for most people since they are only making a limited # of doses (enough for 10% of the population i believe) and the ranking for getting it starts w/ pregnant women, then children, adults under 40 then anyone over 40 w/ pre-existing lung/heart conditions making them susceptible to it. that is the order of risk for death also. it will also be interesting to see how much this shot costs, i'm gonna guess more than most would pay out of pocket, i understand it will not be covered by most insurances.

would i get it given i have asthma and am 40? i will wait and see...DH & i have had several flu's this yr (more than any previous yr infact) and believe we may have already had it, so i'm willing to wait it out. i have had flu shots in the past after getting a B version of Hong Kong flu and getting extremely sick in my 20's but i don't get it every yr. this is too new of a vacccine for me, now next yr after i see how things go this fall/winter i might. ~ liz

• anne_ct
    14 years ago

Having suffered critically from the flu the one year I didn't get the vaccine...I'll volunteer for the annual flu shot...but...not the H1N1. From all that I'm reading at the CDC internet site...in addition to the WHO and other Federal informational criteria...I'm of a "forgiving" age at 70...and as I don't respond well to anything foreign being injected into my system...I'll take a pass on this one unless I'm forced to consider it. I was very lucky to tolerate the pneumonia vaccine once. The second time I had an immediate allergic reaction to it. My old "bod" is very "vocal" when it's had enough. ;-)

Anne

• stargazzer
    14 years ago

Anne, my body is that way with prescription meds. If there is a side affect I will have it. Thankfully, I haven't needed anything long term until the last 2 months. Doc put me on BP meds and they have taken care of 98% of my dizzy spells. BUT, I am so tired and have a dry cough due to the meds.

• anne_ct
    14 years ago

Oh...Stargazzer...we're in the same league. I live in fear of ever getting seriously ill because the "cure" would probably "kill" me. I can't take Penicillin and other antibiotics are a tolerance gamble.

I read the thread on Tetanus shoots and if I hadn't been in a rush...I would have posted to it. I'm deathly allergic to Tetanus and when I used to travel out of the country...I was very cautious. As a matter of fact...I actually survived Tetanus when I was quite young...and when a Dr attempted to give me Tetanus shoot about 10 years later...my allergic reaction was immediate. Sigh. My Visas were always appropriately marked regarding Tetanus and a few other uncooperative vaccines. I was forced to get a Small Pox vaccine before I traveled to South America and my arm was so swollen that I couldn't wear a blouse for over a week.

I'm sorry to hear about your reaction to BP meads. Is there any possibility that a different brand might work better? On the few occasions that I've been forced to use an antibiotic...trying different brands has eased my problems.

Anne

• cherbo
    14 years ago

I've never had a flu shot. I hardly ever get colds and when I do they only last about 3 days. I know, I am blessed. So no I will not get one and mess up my immune system, it aint broke and so it don't need fixed.

• stargazzer
    14 years ago

I called my doctor and ask if I could go to 10 mg instead of 20, but she said no. My BP is running below 120 over 60 some. She said it is doing it's job, but almost passed out a few minutes ago. That is a side effect also. The symptom can be the very same problem you are taking it for. She said to go to the ER if it got lower and I should drive myself there???? When I broke my arm, between the ER and the doctor, they prescribed 6 pain pills and I threw up 4 of them, the 5th was causing tremors in my hand which could have been permanent. I pity people who don't research their meds.