SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wanda_va

Why I Hate the IRS!!!

wanda_va
12 years ago

On January 31, 2010, I electronically filed our income tax, as usual. We file married/joint, standard deduction, so it's simple...Right? Wrong!!

On March 1, 2010, we got a letter from IRS telling us we made an error, which they corrected. They increased our refund by $250. I was skeptical, but figured they knew more than I did... Wrong again!

On November 16, 2010, another letter from IRS: "We regret to inform you that during the processing of your 2009 tax return, we made an error....the previous credit you received was incorrect. Please repay this $250 credit as soon as possible. Interest will not be charged." They also requested a corrected form. That same day, I replied by letter explaining that we completed the form correctly, and submitted a copy of our original (correct) form to them, with a check for $250.

The next correspondence from them was December 12, 2010: "Thank you for your correspondence received November 22, 2010. We haven't resolved this matter because we haven't completed all the research necessary for a complete response. We will contact you again within 45 days to let you know what action we are taking. You don't need to do anything further now on this matter."

On February 21, 2011, DH and I each received a letter from IRS: "Based on the information you provided, we changed your 2009 Form 1040...." As a result, you owe $10.00 in failure-to-pay penalty. You must pay the amount due of $10.00 by March 14, 2011 to avoid additional penalty and interest charges." I called the IRS the day we received the letters. We were told they were sent in error and were being removed from the system. Case closed? Wrong!

Next letter from IRS was dated March 7, 2011: "We applied $10.00 of the overpaid tax on your 2010 tax return to the unpaid balance of other federal taxes which our records show you owe." This means they deducted $10.00 from our 2010 tax refund check. I considered appealing (only because I don't like having a "penalty" on my record, but decided it wasn't worth the effort). Case closed? Wrong!

In late June 2011, we received a check for $10.09 from the IRS! The following day, DH and I each received a letter from IRS dated 6/20/11: "We apologize for the inconvenience, but we made an error on your 2009 Form 1040. To correct our mistake, we adjusted your penalty charge. We made an error figuring the allowable rate reduction credit on your 2001 Form 1040, line 47. We apologize for the error and we're correcting the mistake. If the correct credit results in an overpayment on your 2001 tax return, we will send you a check. You do not have to take any further action on this matter. If you receive a check, do not report the overpayment as income on your 2002 federal tax return. As a result, you are due a refund of $10.00."

Read the above paragraph carefully: They made an error on our 2001 form, but we don't have to report the check as income on our 2002 tax return! 2001??? 2002??? This was a form letter, so I'm sure I'm not the only one wondering what the heck is going on at the IRS. I don't even want to think of how much taxpayers' money was spent on this silly fiasco over a $10 penalty that we didn't owe to begin with. I pray this is the end of this calamity. I definitely vote for a flat tax!

Comments (8)