SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chemocurl

Living in a rural area...does your mailbox get bashed?

I'm so sick of these people that amuse themselves by bashing mailboxes in the rural areas. Mine was bashed over the weekend and was knocked off the post and ended up in the ditch.

I make an effort to try and keep a spare mailbox or two here, so I can easily (?) change it out without a trip to town to get one. I buy the cheapest ones I can find and have been fortunate to find some really cheap ones at yard sales and flea markets. I replace the box on average of once or twice a year, it seems.

I have seen a couple that had metal cages welded around them to protect them from bashers

My carrier (bless her heart) came up the drive yesterday to deliver my mail to me. She is such a sweetie and I told her I would have my box up tomorrow (today).

Well, my new box is up, but I'm wondering how long it will last. My carrier said that a lot of them had been hit or were even missing along my road. She told of one resident who had lost a lot of boxes to bashers. He finally put up one of the jumbo sized ones and she was so delighted as he received a lot of parcels she had been having to deliver up to the house. When she opened the door on the big new box, she discovered there was a regular sized box inside of it, and that there was concrete between the 2 boxes. She said it has lasted well, but she wondered if someone hit it (as in a car accident) and it harmed someone, if the property owner might be sued.

I'm thinking a couple of well placed t-posts (one on each side) would thwart the bashers, but would not interfere with the carrier, and wouldn't be so hazardous. To protect myself from being sued do you think I should maybe place a sign on the posts saying Warning-Do Not Hit!...just kidding, kinda.

Sue

Comments (24)