SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rosemaryt_gw

My dear friend is being abused by her demented Mom - advice?

rosemaryt
13 years ago

If my friend "Jane" has one fault, it's that she is too kind and good. She's had a hard, hard life. She's my age (early 50s) and after retiring from 20 years in the military, she moved back "home" to help her aging mother, and took a job in the private sector. She and her mother share an apartment, and Jane pays most of the bills. Her mother has very little money.

Her mother has terrible dementia (perhaps Alzheimer's) and has been going downhill fast. She should probably be in a home, but Jane is a self-less soul and is trying to take care of her mom as long as possible.

Jane made an appointment six weeks ago with the doctor. (Mom has refused to go for years now.) The morning of the appointment, Jane was trying to get her mom to take her once-a-week shower (part of the dementia problem is she's not bathing regularly), and Mom went nuts. She said she wasn't going to any doctor and Jane said, "Mom, we have to go," and Mom went even more nuts.

Mom told Jane to let go of her, so that she could get into the kitchen and get at the knives. She threatened Jane's life. She swung at Jane repeatedly with her fists, and flailed around a lot, but Jane is strong and healthy and well-built, and deflected the blows.

It was a bad, bad scene. My friend Jane has written me a long email, detailing the horror of it all, asking for my help. She's beside herself. In 2007, Jane moved 2000 miles to be with her Mom, and help her and now this.

I'm sure Jane does not want to involve social services if it can be avoided. She loves her Mom. Jane's two sisters died young, and Jane's father was a brute. Jane's Mom was always a very very good mother. Since Jane was 12, her mother has been a single mom, working tirelessly at a crappy job to keep food on the table. Jane's Mom is Jane's entire family.

I'd be so grateful for any and all advice. I told Jane to call me tonight so we could think this through together.

Ideas?

Comments (21)

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County