SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
country_bumpkin_al

(Pic)Sometimes You Find Something That is So Perfect..It's Weird!

country_bumpkin_al
14 years ago

The marker was placed on my husbands grave back in March and after it was placed, I decided I wanted a concrete bench to put at the foot of the grave. I didn't really have any certain thing in mind..just a bench. I'd found some plain ones at Walmart..but they were $50 and I was really hoping to find one a bit cheaper. Back in April I called a guy that makes them (his were $45ea. So friends and I rode the 30 miles to his place. He had the legs made..but no tops! That would have been a wasted trip if my friends hadn't bought a birdbath!

Last Friday I had to go to Walmart and decided to check and see if they'd marked the benches down. Nope..still $50!!!

I'm sure most of you have heard about the Worlds Longest Yard Sale. It start/ends (depending on which way you're traveling)here in Gadsden and is 654 miles long. For about 7yrs. now a friend and I shop til we drop for about 50 miles of it...until last year. Last year at this time, it was taking all the effort I had just to breathe and function.

The sale started Thursday, so we decided to go up about 10mi of it.! As we were coming back down the mountain, I spotted some bird baths and BENCHES!! I yell STOP!! We get out and the 1st one I looked at had Angels/Cherubs on it! Nope..not what I wanted. Actually I didn't know WHAT I wanted...just that that wasn't "it"! Walked up a bit and I about fell over when I looked at the next one! It had a DRAGONFLY on it! THAT was all I saw! I yelled for my friend and tell her I found one with a Dragonfly! She walks over, looks and says..OMG, it's got a Hummingbird on it! THEN, I saw the Hummingbird! She says...IT'S PERFECT!! I told her I didn't know if it was perfect (or not) until the guy gave me a price on it! Knowing in my heart that I probably wasn't going to be able to afford it (and wondering what I could sell to get it) I asked the guy how much it was! When he said $40.00, I about fell over. There was NO way we could put that heavy thing in my friends car(little KIA) and we're trying to figure out who to call or what to do when the guy asked where I live. I told him! He said he's goes through here every week..and he will DELIVER it to my house! (My son and I can take it to the cemetery! I wrote the guy a check..adding $5.00 for his gas and delivering it!!

Why was this bench the PERFECT one? My husband and I always looked forward to the Hummingbirds showing up in the Spring..and we spent many many hours on the porch watching them. And, the Dragonfly has become very significant to me because of the Dragonfly Story! And, what makes me happy...really happy about it,is I feel like I was "led" to this bench!

I didn't realize until Friday morning that this was the 1st time I'd felt really happy about anything since he died! (June 21,2008)

He and his wife brought it this morning!

{{!gwi}}

Comments (44)