SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caroline94535

Kitchen Plans...Tenative...2 photos

caroline94535
15 years ago

The kitchen is roughly 14' x 15' with 8' ceilings. You have to go through it to get from the front of the house to the back. It has two windows and three doorways. Right now it's awful; everything must come out. Here's the plan we've come up with to make it "workable."

I would love to hear suggestions, ideas, and critics of this idea.

This is the south-facing sink wall. The sink will be centered on the window, but the cabinet won't. I want the dishwasher to the right of the sink. This will allow space for a trash pull-out and a 30" base cabinet, all drawers, to the left of the sink, plus the 30" wide floor-to-ceiling pantry. The corner cabinet is a 36x36 Lazy Susan cabinet.

This is an overhead view. I love how he staggered the depths (24", 18", and 12")of the cabinets to the left of the sink. I wish there'd been room to do the same on the other side. We cannot move any walls, or expand the room.

By making the cabinet next to the fridge 15" deep; we're able to have 39" walkways around the island. Not the 42" they recommend, but it's workable. I really want a small island. This one is 36 x 52. That's the top size; there's a 12" overhang toward the 8' opening to the dining nook and livingroom.

The doorway at upper left goes to the basement landing and left to the mudroom. The refrigerator backs up to the stairwell wall. The doorway at the upper right goes down the hall to the bathroom, office, and sewing room.

We've not decided on a cabinet style/color yet. I think they'll be very plain with slab doors in white or ivory. I don't want upper cabinets above the stove. The walls will be yellow. New windows, floor, lighting. Where this plan shows a desk under the west window; we've decided to put a regular lower cabinet with deep drawers.

Comments (17)