SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sheilajoyce_gw

Digging out Great Grandma's diamond....

sheilajoyce_gw
13 years ago

We have dug out the little diamonds that DHs Grandma had. There were 3 engagement rings, two in more modern settings. We don't know if they were all hers or perhaps one was her sister's too.

Anyhow, our older son is talking about getting engaged, so I took them over to the local jeweler and he pointed out the ones that are good for re using. We have some of DHs great uncle's fancy tie pins, but the diamonds are the old rose cut, tiny, and not a very good quality.

I am wearing her original engagement ring right now. It is in one of those old fashioned silver filagree settings and has a little diamond in the center. I want to keep that intact. Perhaps this son will provide us with a granddaughter one day who would like it sized for her when she is old enough to appreciate it.

The other engagement ring diamond with a round modern cut was put into the mother's ring my DH gave me years ago. Two emeralds for our May sons, a sapphire for our September daughter and the diamond to perk up the looks and to represent us for the month we eloped.

So we will see if our son likes this diamond, which is really very pretty but only a half carat, and the tiny ones from his great, great uncle's pinky ring maybe he will want to use for the wedding band.

So we wait till our son has a chance to see these stones which I left with his sister who lives closer to him than we do. If he wants a bigger stone, then we have a friend who can help him purchase one wholesale. But Grandma's diamond is a pretty and very sparkly stone and would be my sentimental favorite. I hope whatever he picks that his girlfriend will love it and be surprised too. He plans to surprise her, and he is dragging his feet wayyyy toooo longggg.

Comments (8)