SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alisande_gw

Have you gotten out of your comfort zone recently?

alisande
9 years ago

I believe in the value of pushing oneself to do something with an unpredictable outcome once in awhile--in other words, trying something out of your comfort zone.

For me, it was the decision I made last week to try to get a ham radio license. Many of you know my son is an avid ham. Years ago he encouraged me to get licensed, but the idea seemed so far-fetched. Me, getting knowledgeable about electricity, electronics, and atmospheric conditions--among other things? Ha!

But after years of being exposed to his hobby and attending hamfests with him every summer, I realized I want to give it a shot. So I signed up to study online, and have completed 35% of the course so far. Now, if I could just be certain that I'll remember what I learned when it's time to take the test! ;-)

How about you? Undertaken anything different lately?

Comments (43)

• YogaLady1948
    9 years ago

In October I am taking a 200 hour ViniYoga teacher training class~~I am nervous about it. I know the teacher and she is so so up there in my yoga world, I just hope I do not embarrass myself, I have to read about 3 books before I get to the class and not sure how many during the class. It is 2 weeknds a month for 6 months with testing after~~we also have to teach a small session of the class down the road~~

I did a 200 hour Yoga Teacher Training in 2011, I was a bit scared with that, but the teacher was not as serious a teacher as this gal will be;)

• nanny98
    9 years ago

I think Rosemary, Va is a licensed Ham operator. One of the few female ones. Good Luck to you Susan! (you know, the Sears house lady.)

• Related Discussions

Outdoor Citrus out of Zone: What do You Have?

Q

Comments (13)
    Last year I purchased two dwarf citrus trees. One is an Improved Myer lemon and the other is a Mexican lime. I planted them each in 2-ft deep pots at least 14 inches across at the widest point and left them outside this past winter. I wrapped them with a double layer of bubble wrap in the form of a tee-pee. and placed a 40 Watt bulb on the ground of each one and left the light on 24-7. I just removed the wrap on 4/6/14 guessing that we are finally past any possibility of a cold snap. The lemon tree was fine, but the dozen lemons on the tree when I wrapped it were shriveled and looking like they molded. The Mexican lime had die-back on several limbs which I cut off. Having grown up in Southern California I understand their fruiting process and so I know that the lemons I lost would have been ready for picking later this year. Boo-hoo. I see the start of new blossoms and so my concern is what is the best way to over-winter citrus in pots outside? I should mention that I live in West Seattle and yes we do get lots of rain, but not the light misty type we got when I first moved here back in '69. It comes down in torrents. Seattle winters are cold with only a few days of below 30 degrees. This coming winter I want to try something different because I can see that the amount of water I gave the trees might have been too much for the Myer lemon, but not enough for the Mexican lime. I only watered them twice. Because of our very low-light winters and the moldy lemons I am thinking that I need to wrap them in something that can breath, keep out the frost and let light in. I do not have a garage. Any ideas would really be appreciated. I'll try 100 watt light bulbs and maybe some crumbled newspaper to help deal with the moisture. I can't drag them indoors. Thank you.
    ...See More

Whats the warmest you have gotten so far?

Q

Comments (55)
    Tropical zone, seems like last night was the coolest around here. Locally, don't see anything lower than about 42 F.. We did get some rain last night (at least 1/4 inch)--though I agree it's been unusually sunny, and dry for April--most of the state actually has a red flag warning due to low humidity and breezy conditions--didn't we just have a foot of rain this past March?! I have just about everything out save for some of the more tender tropicals (some Dracaenas, Chinese evergreens, diffenbachia, etc.) I can't believe how different it all is from last year--everything greening up fast--even have leaves on the Crape Myrtles and I don't think they greened up till June last year!! JimHardy, watch those bananas. I had no damage on my sikkimensis, Chinese or Japanese Basjoo but moved my dwarfs in as I did see a bit of discoloration from last night. Happy gardening!
    ...See More

* Have You Ever Gotten Your Credit Card Account Numbers Stolen? *

Q

Comments (14)
    I had a bunch of credit cards opened in my name some years ago. I had rental property and had a Centruy 21 agent manage it for me. Apparently, since the mortgage statement went to that office, so did a bunch of those free offers for credit cards. The receptionist opened the accounts got the cards, and just kept paying the minimum payments on the cards. It went on for over a year and was only discovered when she went away on her honeymoon and my agent started opening the mail with my name on it--a bunch of Visa bills with over $20,000 total charges! This girl had charged her whole wedding and honeymoon in my name! The hardest part was cancelling the cards--when I called Visa they wouldn't believe I was me because the girl had given them _her_ mother's maiden name, information of course that I could not supply! It was pretty stupid, really, she thought she would never be caught, said she every intention of paying off the cards eventually. Stupid criminal. Stupid credit card companies. We all paid for that one. And yes, I do check my credit report now!
    ...See More

Where did you get your down comforter recently?

Q

Comments (24)
    Weight isn't always the decision to buy. The amount of true "down" is what will determine warmth and weight. Plus the cover material. I bought two down comforters 15 years ago and they are still in great condition. Couldn't find them to buy another until recently, but they are called FairyDown from the UK. You can get them online now and still at a very good price. I also bought a sheep wool mattress cover, they are wonderful to sleep on. With this company you will know also where the down came from.
    ...See More
  • pam_25f
    9 years ago

Yeah to both Susan and Yogalady.

• kayjones
    9 years ago

I just bought my first home since becoming a widow - ya, I was really out of my comfort zone!

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

A few years ago....thinking it might help me move to another job within my organization.....I took an online Accounting class at the local junior college. Math was never my forte, so it was even more of a challenge and I had been out of collge for 35 years at that point. I did pretty well, but I'm still in the same position, alas!

• alisande
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Kayjones, that was a quantum leap--good for you!

Jim, I'm not so sure that was a good idea. LOL

Thanks, Pam! And thanks, Nanny. I didn't know that about Rosemary. RuthieTX is a ham too.

YogaLady, I had to look up ViniYoga. I'm not knowledgeable enough about yoga to fully understand it, but it's impressive. Sounds sort of like holistic yoga, addressing the needs of the whole individual. You must be very good at what you do to even contemplate this step, and I'm certain you'll be fine. The teacher will appreciate you!

• nicole__
    9 years ago

Last year I purchased a rental house and became a landlord. I've heard all these horror stories about renters and how they trash your house and you end up making zero profit because of all the repairs.

In the last year I had to address, sugar ants coming in and eating the dog and cat food. I paid $9 and set out ant traps and sprayed the foundation. Solved. :0)

Then the lint trap on the dryer fills up, plugs the vent and shuts it off. Yes, it does....YOU need to empty the little slide out lint trap every time before using the dryer. I do with mine....

So far.....I'm out $9 and a little of my time....... and I'll be buying another rental in a few months. Then another....

So I'm starting my own rental/flip business, no longer working a regular 9-5 job..... in what I thought was a VERY scary industry . Wish me luck....:0)

• bee0hio
    9 years ago

We took a 2 wk trip to Ireland in June. One evening a planned activity was dinner in an Abbey with a scholar discussing W.B.Yeats & Lady Gregory. The dinner was pretty fancy (staff placed the napkins on your laps) & the topic wasn't something in which I take delight. So, yeh, out of my comfort zone. My dh could have dropped off the earth, it was so far from his. I am just glad he was able to keep his eyelids open! LOL

Other than that,the trip was fabulous. And the fact it was our 1st trip to Europe, I suppose could also qualify as "out of our comfort zone."

• marilyn_c
    9 years ago

Not me, but my dog.....adopted a baby raccoon and raised it. She had given birth before I got her,and her milk had long since dried up, but she came back to her milk and raised the baby just fine. The baby was only a few days old when it came here, and is almost 4 months old now, and she still takes care of it. The raccoon will be released here in a few months. The last raccoons that I hand raised lived to be 14 and 15 years old....came back every night. (Well, the 15 yr. old is still living and she still comes back every night.)

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    9 years ago

OK...I'll restart my naps. I was not happy being out of my comfort zone anyway. I'll tell the missus that you folks insisted that I get back into my comfort zone!

Jim

• YogaLady1948
    9 years ago

Thank you for your kind words Alisande. I had to inteview with the teacher before I could sign up for the class~~she is a lady I met in a series of classes where we studied the Goddesses of Yoga. She said I was a great fit for her class, even tho I do not intent to ever teach it. Same as with my yoga teacher training~I do not teach classes. It is all for my own personnal growth and knowledge. Helps me along in my Spiritual Path.

It has been suggest by two of my teachers to become a Life Coach, I feel I am too 'jaded' to do that ;) Some peoples dramas in life get to me, it seems so simple to fix it and they do not?? What's up with that? See that is not very healing;) Maybe I will learn to in this class~

AW I just looked up what Ham Radio is, I was mixing it up with CB'ers~~~Ham is 'polite radio'. It looks like a lot of work and testing to get that license. What will be your call Sign/name?

• littlebug5
    9 years ago

Yes. Two months ago I went on a vacation without DH. He didn't want to go. I went with a group to Scotland and London and saw lots of things on my bucket list. I was fine without him and vice versa. We have been married 40 years

• glenda_al
    9 years ago

Mine is different. Bonding time with grandson, two years ago, and went on a second cruise with him.

Surprised him that I had us signed up to go parasailing in Key West. He was awed that his then 73 year old grandmother was going to do it with him. He still talks about it today.

• marie_ndcal
    9 years ago

After DH passed away, making decisions etc Went to GD's HS Grad in Calif. from ND. Made my own reservations on the train, bus, rented a car, drove 799 miles round trip, stayed at good motels, had a great time and reversed trip to arrive back home. I have made reservations before, but trip by myself first time. Treated great, but then I don't hold back, because if I have questions, needed help I just ask . Saw lots of new country and enjoyed the sleeper car with the free meals on the train. Did meet some great people, but I usually mix well with people.

• littlebug5
    9 years ago

Glenda - that picture makes ME smile!

• YogaLady1948
    9 years ago

YEA!!! GLenda~Littlebug and Marie You go girls!!

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    9 years ago

I'm so proud of everybody! Well....Jim, not so much, lol! Eliminating naps was one of the first things my sleep therapists encouraged me to do as I slowly recovered from years of debilitating insomnia! (But for many people, naps are perfectly okay.)

Seriously, you are all awesome; I mean it! I feel like a slacker. :-)

• dedtired
    9 years ago

well, not really, but I just bought a headboard on Craigslist. I had no way to get it home so I asked the seller if they would deliver. They are dropping it off in the morning. I am hoping they are not Craigslist Murderer types. It's making me a teensy uncomfortable, but my house is well within view of several neighbors and they are just dropping it in the driveway.

Best I could come up with for now.

• socks
    9 years ago

Rhizo, don't feel like a slacker. I've spent most of the day trying to think of something to post, and I finally came up with it: today I wore a SLEEVELESS blouse! If people don't like my flabby arms, too bad for them!

I totally agree with you, Rhizo, this is a really nice thread and I've enjoyed the stories.

• YogaLady1948
    9 years ago

YEA! Socks good for you~~~I admit I have been thinking of doing that;)

• alisande
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm enjoying all your stories! I hope they'll inspire some others to embark on little (or big) adventures of their own.

Bee, I don't even know who Lady Gregory is! I will look her up, though, because I'm curious. A first trip to Europe is definitely something new and exciting!

Marilyn, how fitting that you have a dog who cares for animals in need as much as you do. That is a wonderful photo! And as a retired La Leche League leader, I find it interesting that she was able to relactate--and that she wanted to!

YogaLady, CBers have "handles" (names), but hams have call signs consisting of a single digit surrounded by letters. It will be assigned to me if when I pass the test.

Have you considered the possibility that the act of teaching might advance your progress down (or up) your Spiritual Path? Think about it.

Littlebug, good for you! I'm sure vacationing without your DH was far better than worrying about whether or not he was enjoying himself as you dragged him along. ;-)

Glenda, I think I can safely say that parasailing is out of the comfort zone of 97% of the population! You go, girl!

Marie, that's a wonderful story! I can relate, because in 2007 I attended my late husband's college reunion. I didn't have to drive 799 miles, but it was unfamiliar territory and I knew no one there. I really had to push myself. But I, too, ended up having a wonderful time. I wrote about it here for Yankee magazine.

Dedtired, I would say this qualifies. After all, I did say "something with an unpredictable outcome." Maybe the headboard won't be what you expected. Or maybe you'll recognize the seller as your high school sweetheart! Let us know how the transaction turns out.

Socks, that really is pushing the limits. LOL But I've been thinking about sleeveless tops lately too. When I went to a wedding a few weeks ago I wore a skirt and a sleeveless shell, but brought a drapey rayon cardigan to cover my less-than-lovely arms. However, it was so hot that I reluctantly abandoned the cardigan. it was then that I noticed how many women had bared their arms too . . . and some of those arms were older or heavier than mine. But who cares?? And if someone does--as you said, too bad for them! ;-) (Go for it, YogaLady!)

Thanks, everyone! Hoping to see more stories!

• matti5
    9 years ago

Last September I conquered a fear and decided to enroll in an oil painting class with a well known artist in my community. Painting has always been on my to do list, but I did not think I had the ability or talent. The minute I picked up my paint brush, I became hooked. I am now on my third painting which is an 18 x 24 of an Italian village seascape.

• oldfixer
    9 years ago

Heck yes, every week this year with doctors. But back in the zone with summer and the beach.

• joyfulguy
    9 years ago

Can't think of a dog-gone thing.

Guess I'm getting too comfortable.

But, then ... I've done some unconventional things in the past.

Just getting old ... and lazy ... maybe?

But not too lazy, what with a mile and a half of garden ... even though, late spring, rain and all ... much of it didn't get planted (first planting, that is ... let alone the second, third, etc. to provide ongoing produce).

Heck - it's even in my comfort zone to come here to tease you folks!

ole joyfuelled

• blfenton
    9 years ago

I have, with my approval, been pushed out of my comfort zone. My DH has an out-of-town contract which began June 1st and ends at the end of October. He isn't that far away but he leaves early Monday morning and arrives home midnight Friday night. It's about a 4-5 hour drive away.

My DH did check with me to make sure it was ok that he took the contract and I didn't hesitate to say yes even knowing that it would be different. He's never done an out of town one before.

For the first time in my entire life I am actually a little lonely but I'm getting lots of things done. The only surprise that was a bit of a shock for me, was how easy it was to fall into the metaphorical "tea and toast" routine for dinner.

I had to kick myself in the butt to get out of that unhealthy habit.

• linda_in_iowa
    9 years ago

I will be able to answer this in a couple of weeks. Next Saturday I leave for Costa Rica on a church mission trip. I know and like all 29 who are going along. I was in charge of getting tee shirts printed for us.They are a bright sapphire and everyone seems to like them. The shirts will be helpful when we are at the airports. Towards the end of trip we will go to the beach and zipline, snorkel, etc. We will also visit a volcano. I just may be out of my comfort zone at some time during the trip.

• dedtired
    9 years ago

Following up on the Craigslist headboard. A pickup truck pulls up to my driveway and out hop two women who are about my age or older! They even kind of looked like me. It was the least scary thing I've done in a long time and I LOVE the headboard. It is a Pottery Barn Whitney bed. Here's a picture while it was still in under my carport.

Some of you are brave souls!

• bob_cville
    9 years ago

nicole I hope that your current rental property and any future ones continue to be relatively trouble free.

A year ago in January my wife and I bought a small duplex as a rental property. In one side the tenant has been there for about 18 years, on the other half the tenant moved out at the end of March . She did a more than reasonable job of cleaning up when she left. However we were getting the place ready to re-rent, and decided to remove and replace the vinyl in the dining room and kitchen, and discovered that the kitchen sink drain was leaking inside the wall, and the water had soaked into the floor and subfloor, causing it to delaminate and rot. We also discovered that the floor around the bathtub was similarly rotted.

So I had to remove the floor and subfloor in all three rooms which required removing everything on top of them: appliances, cabinets, bathtub, and toilet. Then as we realized how much work it would require we decided to make the apartment better, so that we could charge a higher rent, which of course would then require more work and more expense ... including replacing the cabinets, better appliances, adding a dishwasher, installing a washer/dryer in the hall closet, replacing the oil-fired furnace with a central air/heat pump, and upgrading the electrical service to be able to power the heat pump and dryer.

To keep down expenses I did nearly all of the work myself, except for the heat pump and the electric service upgrade, but since I was also working full-time the repairs and upgrades took from the middle of May until early December.
    Some of the work on the apartment brought me well out of my comfort zone, but in the end it turned out extremely well.

The kitchen went from this:

To this:

and the rent went from $685/month to $925/month and luckily since renting it I've only need to go there twice for relatively simple problems.

• pam_25f
    9 years ago

Wow Bob, That is a fabulous makeover.

• socks
    9 years ago

Lucky you found that leak, Bob!! It looks just wonderful. Nice job.

• nicole__
    9 years ago

Bob....I remember your post on another thread. You did a great job!

We(my DH is a commercial contractor & certified welder, see the hand rail) went through the house with a fine toothed comb, rewired ungrounded electrical, cement sawed a peatrap out of the basement floor....etc....the list goes on...took 4 months......here are some after pics...the house was built in 1959. Two walls(non load bearing) were torn out to get the open effect in the kitchen....

Gutted this 3/4 bath, new tile floor. I purchased an old oak vanity from Restore for $25 & painted it, new pulls, Kohler faucet(new off Ebay), the same vanity new is still being sold @ HD for $199..

This post was edited by nicole__ on Sat, Jul 26, 14 at 22:54

• maire_cate
    9 years ago

Susan asked if we'd 'recently' gotten out of our comfort zone. We just returned from a vacation in the Outer Banks. This may not seem like a big deal to anyone else but this is the first time in probably 15 years that I wore a swimsuit in public. Our rental was oceanfront so it wasn't that far of a walk to the beach. We have a pool at home and if anyone stops by I usually don a coverup. I guess I felt braver at the beach where there were body types of all dimensions.

• alisande
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Matti, you just gave me a much-needed poke. I, too, pushed myself to take a painting class last year (watercolor), but unlike you I haven't kept up. Although I was surprised to find I liked my painting, I never finished it, nor started a new one. I really need to do that. Please share your work with us!

OldFixer, I hope those doctor's visits have done their job. Glad you're in beach mode now.

Joyful, there's comfort and there's comfort. One-and-a-half miles of garden would make me decidedly uncomfortable, even though I love gardening. You probably don't have a lazy bone in your body!

Blfenton, I've had a lot of experience with that. When my kids were little, my DH owned a business out of state. He used to come home Wednesdays and on the weekends. I got used to doing things on my own schedule. Fortunately, I had three children to cook for; otherwise I probably would have slipped into my version of "tea and toast"--which is where I am now!

Linda, that sounds like a great trip. Terrific idea for t-shirts to make you all visible at airports, etc.

Dedtired, that's a lovely headboard! Glad to hear you had such a good transaction.

Bob and Nicole, wonderful job with your remodels!

Maire, I think I would rather paint five watercolors, do a mile of gardening, zip down to Costa Rica, buy a few things on Craigslist, and remodel my kitchen clean off my desk than put on a bathing suit. I'm impressed!

• kittiemom
    9 years ago

Nicole and Bob, beautiful remodeling jobs! Dedtired, I love your headboard. Glenda, you are one brave lady!! I'd never have the nerve to go parasailing - I don't like heights. Kudos to the rest of you too!

I guess selling your childhood home could be considered out of your comfort zone, at least for some people. My sister and I are selling our parents' home; it is under contract. To put us more out of our comfort zone, we are considering investing the money in a rental property and becoming landlords ourselves.

• marylmi
    9 years ago

I recently painted my bedroom & ordered a new bedroom set(it was 35 yrs. old). While waiting for that, I got the idea to put up chair rail molding and put wallpaper below it. I had no idea what I was doing but with the help of a trim" book & looking on the internet I DID IT!!! After doing that, I wanted cap molding on the baseboard so have that done also. NOW, I'm thinking crown molding!! People can't believe I did it myself & it does look nice. I now know more about Home Depot, saws, nails, etc. than I ever wanted to know! :)

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    9 years ago

Here's my inane contribution... I have gotten out more. I have almost become a hermit, I'm so bad these days. Getting on a plane and flying, even to some place I really wanted to go and really didn't want to leave, had me sweating bullets. I love to fly. So what gives? It was being outside and off of my schedule. And last Friday night, I went to something that had a huge crowd. A record huge crowd, after dark. Whew. But that turned out to be fun. I may actually start getting outside again. I think being hurt/sick a lot in the last few years is getting to me. Well, was. So now I am making efforts to get out after dark. And far away from the comforts of home. Silly. I know.

• Sally Brownlee
    9 years ago

YES!
    Just yesterday I did my very first 5 mile trail run. I have been working out and training very hard. This run was kind of on a whim.
    I LOVED it!
    While challenging and little dangerous with the rocks, roots and hills, the only scrapes I got was from a few thorny branches...and a little muddy.
    I was exhausted the rest of the day, but felt like I really did it - and wasn't last one to cross the finish line LOL!

• dedtired
    9 years ago

Okay, I've got a real one. My friend wants to go to a bar to hear a certain guitarist tonight. Most people who go to this bar are in their 20's and 30's. We're in our 60's. I am going to be excruciatingly uncomfortable, I think, although the guitarist is 75! I am telling myself on just go and enjoy the music and don't worry about what the young people are thinking. I am going to try! I'll let you know.

• alisande
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Kittiemom, I don't envy you the task of selling your childhood home. I didn't have to do that, but I did have to sell my parents' retirement home, where they lived for 30+ years. Not fun.

Mary, what you accomplished must have given you a real boost in terms of confidence and self-esteem. I'm not suggesting you needed that, but it's what usually happens when someone develops a new skill or learns something about a previously unfamiliar field. Good work!

Rob, yes, keep that up. Anxiety breeds anxiety, so it's important to fight back whenever you can. Taking that first step was probably the hardest, and as you discovered, it reaped rewards.

When I was in my forties I started experiencing anxiety and became afraid to drive. I don't know what caused it (perimenopause?), but it was not a welcome turn of events! As I've often said, I'm a car person, and I love to drive. It felt so unnatural to have become a wimp about it. So I fought back, and got myself back to normal. Whew!

Salgal, I can't relate at all. Which means I'm jealous. LOL

Dedtired, good for you for giving it a shot. I bet you'll have a blast. A couple of years ago I found myself in a crammed, noisy singles bar (very young singles) with some of my family, including my granddaughter. She was the right age to fit in; I most certainly was not. But we all did a little chatting/bantering with the young clientele and had fun.

With your guitarist to listen to, you'll have even more fun! (I'm guessing it's not Willie Nelson because he's 81.) :-)

• katlan
    9 years ago

About 4 or 5 years ago I flew for the first time, and I did it by myself. Daughter drove me to the airport in Philly, Pa and I flew to the Atlanta, Ga airport.

No layovers, no bags checked, wanted to make it as easy as possible. I walked into that airport and didn't know whether to turn left or right.

About 6 years ago DH and I rode his motorcycle from PA to GA to visit my brother and his fam. 13 hours the first day, finished up the trip the next day. It was an adventure for sure, but I highly doubt that I will ever ride a motorcycle that far again, at least now in that small amount of time.

• susanjf_gw
    9 years ago

trying to get the courage to look for a car alone..dh is really busy right now and here in mi dealers are often closed on the weekends....

• ronf_gw
    9 years ago

Being extremely introverted, joining Toastmasters a while back was WAY out of my comfort zone. Especially the concept of Table Topics. During Table Topics you are called up to the lectern, and then given a topic. Then you speak about it for 2 minutes with no prep time. When I witnessed this as a visitor I thought that if I ever joined and was called on I would die of a heart attack on my way up to the lectern. My 3rd time there as a guest I WAS called on for Table Topics! I nailed it!!! I've been a member ever since. I can't begin to describe how much I've grown since joining this great organization.

Ron