SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tropicalzone7_gw

Whats the warmest you have gotten so far?

tropicalzone7
14 years ago

Spring is finally here.

Its been a rough winter for a lot of us. In the mid atlantic many snow storms brought a foot or more of snow making this winter the snowiest winter by far in many cities. Roofs even collasped and so did power lines and trees. And the wind that came with the storms destroyed many more trees and just last weekend hurricane force winds knocked out power again in many areas for long durations, trees went down like dominos, and even houses were damaged. In the plain states areas got cold and snow, and very few warm ups during the winter. And the cold in the south particuarly Florida broke many records and killed many trees. Even sea animals in florida had to be rescued and taken so they could recover from the cold, and tropical coral along key west were damaged when water temperautures reached the 60s. The west coast had a nice break from winter with warmth and little rain and Canada was also in the pattern, but they seemed to be the only ones spared. Even Europe got hit hard. England had lots of snow, and cold to match, which is very rare for them, and it is also rare for snow to fall and cold to dominate in places like Barcelona, Spain and Rome, Italy. The cold was a problem for many European countries just like here in the US making this winter one to remember.

But most of that is behind us now and spring is offically here today. So how warm have you gotten so far (since january)?

Yesterday was the warmest by me at 72F, but it is suppose to get warmer today so we will see!

Good luck and enjoy SPRING!

Comments (55)

• butiaman
    14 years ago

It was 75* and sunny today.I loved it.Bring it on!!!!!LOL.It was so nice that I planted two 3 gallon Needle Palms,the local Home Depot got in all there cold hardy palms today.I just couldent leave H.D. without getting a couple palms.They have 15 gallon Robustas for $80,is that to exspensive?

• tropicalzone7
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for all your comments so far. Looks like a lot of us have been seeing some nice weather.

Jim, 86F... lol, not even Florida has been that lucky yet! Although I guess its not too far off. Last year in mid april it was in the 90s for 3 days by me (94F was the highest of those days), but thats rare. Okay so I guess we have a while before we start hitting 86, but I was only 11 degrees off from it today.

wsg89, wow, thats one thing about the midwest, during this time of the year it can be beautiful one day, and snowing the next. At least you got some warmth and the snow you are getting now will not be lasting long this time of the year with this sun and warmth. Finally the heat is stronger than the cold!

Njoasis, so far your the winner at 76F. I like your name for last week's storm, norecane. Its so true and catchy too! This winter has definitely been dramatic. Now its suddenly warm and 3 weeks ago we would have never even thought of seeing the sun let alone taking out the garden shovels. Instead we were taking out our snow shovels!

mnpalms, 40s arent too bad for this time of the year at all and it looks like you have been getting a lot of spring also with 50s and even 60s. Good thing is that even though some people are or will be cooling down from this warm up, it looks like temps will rebound again, and pretty quickly too.

Butiaman, we tied temperatures today. I got to 75F also (here in the NYC area). Ive planted a few things this past week, but nothing today. I would rather plant on slightly cooler days because there were some wasps outside also enjoying this warm weather, although I dont mind them that much usually. And I also cant leave home depot without buying at least 1 plant. I got a philodendron imperial red last time I went and another ti plant. How tall are the robustas? They are usually cheap palms so 80 dollars might be a little expensive especially by Home depot standards.

****** So now my highest temp is 75F as of March 20, 2010 ******

Thanks again for your comments and enjoy the weather!

• Related Discussions

What seeds have (can?) you direct sow in 5A so far?

Q

Comments (7)
    Up in the north 'burbs here, near the state border. :) So far (including getting through that last frost) I've got chard up, snap peas, lettuces, radishes and carrots. Our rhubarb has been up and growing for well over a month now. Onions are going in as soon as I finish clearing the d*** grass weeds out of their space. I have a hopeful 'next round' of peas I set to sprout just yesterday, and I'll be chitting the potatoes this week for a slightly later planting. Nothing is covered and it's windy to boot where they're at, so I'd guess you haven't got any worries on those, at least! G'luck!!
    ...See More

So how many flats do you have on the go so far?

Q

Comments (5)
    I have about 6 or 7 flats started and mostly doing well. I have 28 tomato plants just put into separate pots (3 varieties: Black Krim, Iidi and Padova). Also, there are 3 flats of coleus, one flat with cuttings from last year's favourites and the other 2 with new seedlings. I'm trying for ones with a lot of yellow in the leaves but not having much luck. But I do have one rather small and weak one with almost completely black leaves. Probably the colour is why it's not growing very fast (not enough chlorophyl),but it seems healthy. I also have lots of baby primulas of 3 kinds. Two sets are in the cold frame as they are from last year, and the others are auriculas from this year. I got the seeds from France and had quite poor germination so I'm watching the plants I did get really closely. For unusuals, I have seedlings of things I collected in parks and nurseries locally. They didn't care if I collected seeds, so I went wild! Now I have red yuccas, pineapple lilies, phormiums, pearly whites (a local wildflower) and eryngium agavafolium.I also have 3 different kinds of penstemons, but while growing, they're very slow and tiny. Let's hope at least some of them survive!
    ...See More

What have you put up so far 2012

Q

Comments (56)
    Here's what I've put up so far: Canned 42 quarts chicken soup 14 quarts chicken broth 9 pints split pea soup 7 pints strawberry jam 21 half pints strawberry jam 7 pints strawberry rhubarb sauce 12 pints raspberry jam 21 quarts green beans 3 pints blueberry jam 34 1/2 pints blueberry jam 10 1/4 pints blueberry jam Froze 64 eggs (from our chickens) 42 bags of strawberries 13 bags of blueberries Dehydrated mushrooms - got 1 half gallon jar and 1 quart jar lemon slices - got 1 half gallon jar and 2 quart jars strawberries - 1 quart jar Getting a half bushel of peaches to can tonight and can't wait till my tomatoes ripen to can my sauce. Paradisa
    ...See More

NJ...what have you harvested so far?

Q

Comments (7)
    just my sungold and might grape hybrid (red grape tom)... My indian stripe just started blushing today :) Everything else is still going.... (I've got KBX, Cherokee Choc, and opalka with fruit but not ready for harvest and a rutgers that I started late just started to flower)
    ...See More
  • butiaman
    14 years ago

Those robustas was 8ft total.The trunks were about 6ft.I thought that was pricey also.There not cold hardy for here anyhow.Why I planted yesterday is because its's raining today.

• royalpaulm
    14 years ago

Oddly enough our high for 2010 was January 21 when we hit 82. I'm done with these crappy 70s were having...average high here is 80
    which we still haven't hit all month!!

• tropicalzone7
    Original Author
    14 years ago

butiaman, I think its a good deal, but the plant might be too big for you, maybe you can just get a smaller plant because, when established, they grow pretty quick. So if you did get a washingtonia that big, it would become really hard to protect in only a few years because of there growth rate.

Royalpaulm, wow only 82... thats around where your average high should be this time of the year. Still so far you are the winner with the warmest temps, even though I think you can get MUCH warmer than that in florida! Your weather now kind of reminds me of my weather last year in june, but without the constant rain. Last june I had only 2 days that reached 80 (the highest was 81) and the average high for me in June is about 85F. I hope you guys have a nice summer to make up for this horrible winter.

Good luck everyone, and have a happy first full day of spring!

• jimhardy
    14 years ago

I got all those numbers beat!

107(f) in my Washy enclosure!(-;

• brooklyngreg
    14 years ago

Jim, I think we're talking about regular temps outside the enclosures. See I knew that snow would be short lived:)

I had to open the enclosers becuase they were too hot-amost cooking, and the ourside temps went to 73-74* in Brooklyn. My court yard was in the upper 70s to 80 for a few hours Saturday. It was a treat.

• tropicalzone7
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wow jim, 107F, Thats very hot!!! Technically it doesn't count, but you did record the highest temperature out of all of us so far :) Hopefully you wont get that hot outdoors. Most plants would cook (but your cacti would love it).

greg, Saturday was really pleasant. Today felt a little cool in the shade, but yesterday was actually warm. My plants were really enjoying it (some got a little burn though from the sun). My thermometer recorded 93F yesterday! That isnt an accurate reading, but still proves how hot the sun was.

Enjoy the weather everyone!

• jimhardy
    14 years ago

T7
    That was nice of you to go along with that!(-;

• tropicalzone7
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Lol, thanks!

Good luck!

• franktank232
    14 years ago

I've had 66F three different days.

• southern_il_boy
    14 years ago

Seems spring is taking it's sweet time coming to St. Louis. I think the warmest we've seen is about 65. Averaging about 48 since March began. Normally we've hit 70's once or twice by now. But 70 is not even in the 10 forecast, which puts us into April.

• jimhardy
    14 years ago

In 2008 we didn't hit 70 until April 16th-seemed like it took longer.
    I've seen it 70 in February and 84 in early March!
    I'll wait though if it means a nice spring with no frost-
    usually to much early warmth bring freezing temps when everythings blooming)-:

• theyardman
    14 years ago

Hey hey,

We had a relatively unlively winter here in Detroit. Only about 18" officially at Detroit City Airport in late March. To the north, south, east , and west, you all got it. We had only a few nights in the single digits and didn't even get near 0 deg F.

We've officially hit 71 deg F, but several reliable stations had official highs of 74 deg F in SE Michigan.

Spring is about 1-2 weeks ahead of schedule and the crocii are blooming, and saw our firt dafadil yesterday. The forsythias are ready to burst, and so are the magnolias.

Can't wait, Spring is here and we're getting some much needed rain today, sun the remainder of the week coming up.

• us_marine
    14 years ago

So far weather.com says my area reached 75f, my own readings were higher, and hit 80f once. I doubt it is accurate though. My coco sure does like this warmer weather :)

• tropicalzone7
    Original Author
    14 years ago

It seems like spring is taking its sweet time in some areas, but most people are recording much better temps.

Michigan had a mild winter this year with little snow.

Im surprised St. louis hasnt been in the 70s at all yet since they usually get some shots of mild air this time of the year, but 60s are still very nice, much better than freezing temps!

Jim, hopefully you wont have to wait until mid april for your first 70, but as long as you dont get any sever cold before then, I guess its not that big of a problem.

Im noticing how it seems like the mid western cities got very similar temps during the warm spell no matter how far you lived. 66 on 3 occasions in WI is pretty good for march.

Usmarine, 75 isnt too bad, were in California are you? I know that So cal got in the 80s which must have been pretty nice. Im sure that your coconut palm is enjoying these longer and warmer days. Mine is indoors still, but the room it is in is warmer and brighter now and the coco it is really picking up on its growth.

I took a look at all the things in bloom in my neighborhood, some trees are blooming, the magnolias look like they are ready to bloom (the decidious ones at least, the evergreen magnolias still have a few more months before they bloom). The crocus, daffodils, forcinthias (spelling?), cherry trees, and hyacinths are in full bloom and the tulips dont have buds yet, but should be getting them really soon (maybe a week from now). I also have chives and they are almost 5 inches tall now and will bloom soon. My vinca vines continue to make new growth and blooms should be on the way. I saw some hydrangeas that had leaves sprouting and the nursuries are selling panies now in full bloom. The bradford pears have really big buds on them now also, they look like they will be opening and I think that in a week or 2 (depending on the weather) they might be in full bloom. Looking forward to it, and Im also looking forward to the 70s and 80s which usually arrive in late april. Only a month until even my more tender plants are outside. I have a good amt. of plants outside now but they might be shuffling in and out for the next few weeks.

There is some lightning outside right now by me, and thunderstorms are a really good sign of spring!

Good luck!

• us_marine
    14 years ago

I am in NorCal.

• tropicalzone7
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh, so those temps are pretty nice. Good luck, hope your weather continues to make your coco happy.

• jimhardy
    14 years ago

I get a kick out of our temps at our own houses.
    I mean,if I went by that it,s been well into the 70s here.
    It was 78 in my cactus garden today-but officially,at the airport somewhere in the mid 60s-
    of course,nobody lives at the airport(-;

61(f) today,worked in the yard all day!
    Planted my Tetrapanex and 5 tree ferns!
    Man,I gotta tell ya-there is nothing better than working in the garden on a nice spring day!
    My Naini Tal is even starting to grow,it's one of only 3 Trachys etc,without spear-pull.

• tropicalzone7
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Tetrapanex is a very nice plant. Almost like a cold tolerant papaya when they get older. Where did you get it from if you dont mind me asking? They seem to be hard to get. Looks like it will be cold here on friday. Only in the high 40s and as of now, they are predicting a low of 27f! Well I guess all my plants will be sent back in until the warm air returns. The bradford pears (by far the most common street tree here) are shedding the outer coating of there buds and should be in bloom by the weekend.

Good luck!

• walkingthefrog
    14 years ago

The warmest temperature of this year has been 77 here. The daytime temperatures (and the night) have been below average for the most part here...it was 34 degrees here on the first day of spring! It doesn't help that it has been unusually rainy here as well, last month we got a little over of six inches of rain, soil is still saturated from all of it...and the precipitation for March isn't very dry either.

• jimhardy
    14 years ago

T7
    I got my Tetrapanex from Brians Botanicals on E-bay.
    I don't know if he has any now,usally the best time to get them is later in the season-that's when I got mine.
    I kept it in the house 2 winters ago until it was ready to go in spring,they do pup pretty often,if you interested I will send you the next one that comes up,as of right now it has put out 3 pups.

Like a Papaya only with 2' wide leaves!
    Heres a pic of mine last year,it grew from about 6" to this and is starting out waist high,as I dug it up and brought it in last fall.

BTW
    They are talking about 80(f)possible here next week-we'll see.

• tropicalzone7
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wow, its a beauty! Thanks for the offer on those pups, I wait and see if any show up on ebay, Im sure if I keep checking one will show up eventually! Wow 80s possible for you? Thats great, you'll definitely be up there for the highest temps so far! good luck, hope you see some 80s in the near future!

• jimhardy
    14 years ago

I understand if you would rather buy one(-;

• andyandy
    14 years ago

We hit 67 three strait days last week. Unfortunately in the middle of the week. Sunny today but only about 39. Looks like mid 60s again toward the end of next week. I had a potted Sabal minor out for those days but then it got cold and rainy so i brought it back in. I'm hoping to have my first round of golf on April 9th so I'm hoping we'll see out first 70s by then.

• tropicalzone7
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Its very cold here today, about 10-15 degrees below average(its only 44 right now). Tonight is predicted to be only 25F, all my plants are in for the night except my banana and elephant ear, which is protected from this bitter cold. Same cold on saturday also and I dont think the weather will be sunny and warm again until mid next week. Next week the 60s return with some 70s. Lows will be in the upper 40s to low 50s.

Good luck!

• tropicalzone7
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Okay, I think we have all gotten much warmer by now. So...Whats the warmest you have gotten so far??
    Today has been the warmest day by me. It has gotten to 89F so far today (not official temp). It might make it to 90F, but no matter what we did get close (and broke a daily record of 87F.

• meyermike_1micha
    14 years ago

Here in Massachusetts, 86 degrees today and the 70's and 80's the past week..:-)..Yippy!!

Maybe snow next week again..Who knows!;-(

• TT, zone 5b MA
    14 years ago

88 and loving it in Sudbury, MA!

• User
    14 years ago

Currently standing at 91 F.. Using the air for the first time this season today.

• tropicalzone7
    Original Author
    14 years ago

So far njoasis has the highest temp, but we all did get much warmer than a few weeks ago! Today was very hot, I also needed the AC today (and yesterday). Most of my plants arent particularly liking this heat, but some are. My camellia flowers actually have brown tips now because of the heat, but fortunately more flowers will be opening. Its still disappointing to see them damaged by the sun (as well as some other plants), but my palms, bananas, hibiscus, and plumerias are really taking advantage of the heat.
    But just like meyermike said, who knows what can happen after this! I doubt I will see any more snow, but a frost can still happen even though it is becoming more and more unlikely as the days pass and summer gets closer.

Good luck and enjoy the summer heat!

• User
    14 years ago

Still holding in the mid 80's here Tropicalzone (8:30 pm). Are you growing your Camellias in full sun?--I try to position them in filtered sun--should help with summer and winter sun damage.--A mere few weeks ago there was over 2 feet of snow on the back driveway, today temps actually got to around 100 F. back there (lots and lots of black tar and radiant heat off garages and house)--remember, official temps are recorded in shade. Not complaining, as this microclimate enables me to really stretch out the growing season for the tropicals there(mostly palms and citrus).

• tropicalzone7
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Its almost 9:00 and its still 78F here. Very nice and warm out there, There is no chill in the air at all tonight. Yeah, unfortunately the camellia is in full sun. Usually the flowers are not sun damaged because the weather is still on the cool side when it is in bloom, but this heat was too much for them. My thermometer recorded 100F in the sun, but that wasnt even full sun. Thats not an accurate temp. reading, but I guess its not a bad indication of the real feel temp in the sun.

Good luck!

• jimhardy
    14 years ago

It was like that here April 1
    Hi 89-it was still close to 80 at 10pm and 33% humidity was quite different then in July-August when you would expect this.

115 in my Washy enclosure(-;

• User
    14 years ago

Because it gets sooo ridiculously hot in the back, I purposefully reserve it for palms with a high heat tolerance (Phoenix species, Chamaerops, and Washingtonia robusta--I have problems growing filiferas--too wet and humid for the summer I think). Transplanted three Washingonia robustas today into the largest tubs I have (historically they go into the ground after this point). Jimhardy, how much longer is your Washingtonia going to be in its enclosure? Do you have some way to ventilate and bring down temps? I'm toying with the ideal of planting one of the Washingtonias in the ground--would be protected with burlap and clear plastic for the winter. In the meantime, I am looking forward to that cold front--it is early April after all.

• butiaman
    14 years ago

It's been in the mid to high 80s all this week.I like these warm temps.in June,July and Augest but not this time of the year.It's been so hot that I cant do any yard work,I dont have any shade at all.It's still 70* this late at night.I like spring temps.this time of year,highs in the low to mid 70s and high 50s to low 60s at night.It gives your body time to get use to warmer weather comming.It went from winter to summer temps. here within two weeks.It's suppost to rain tommorow and a cool front is comming through with it.Thursday through monday were gonna have temps. in the high 60s to mid 70s,with lows in the mid 40s to mid 50s.I use to frame houses for a living and spring and fall is my favorite times of the year.It's not to hot or to cold to do work outside.We get plenty of hot muggy weather in summer,when you can just step outside in the shade for 30 minutes and be soaking wet,to where it looks like you jumped into a swimming pool with all your clothing on.I'm not quite ready for that yet,I know yall in the north like these temps.but I will be looking foreward to more normal spring like weather.Anyhow the hottest we've been was 89* yesterday.

• tropicalzone7
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Tonight says above 60F and tomorrow gets to 82F. Then after that a cold front comes and we cool down to the high 50s for friday and warm up to the mid to upper 60s for next week. At least then we will be close to average, but still nice a comfortable.

jim... 115!! Thats hot, like Death Valley, Ca hot! I guess the thermometer you have in there is a little off from the sun though, it happens to mine a lot when its hot, but not that much when its cold.
    The heat is very different this time of the year than the summer. First off my plants dont really like too much heat this time of the year. Also when its hot outside its hard enough to breath, but this time of the year the pollen is extremely high (especially in this heat) so that adds to the problem.

Njoasis...
    Those are all great palms for the heat. They must do really great! I also have no luck with filiferas probably also due to the humidity. I guess thats why you only see robustas along the east coast (and they do prefer the west). I do really like the heat, but I think some 60s and low 70s are a lot nicer to see this time of the year. I dont want to start seeing abundant 80s until may. But I also definitely want it to stay above freezing!!

Butiaman...
    I agree, its a little to hot for this time of the year. Many of my plants arent really that crazy about it. Some are blooming like crazy and others look like they were sprayed with oil and set in the oven at 350F! I dont think any of my plants will have a problem with 60s and low 70s which is in out forecast after this cold front. All I hope for is all temps to be above 40F and I prefer them to be below 85F for now.
    I dont mind the humidity because I dont have to water my plants as often, but sometimes it gets very muggy. All the windows fog up and you go outside and feel like you are just blasted with moisture and heat. But it usually means a nice afternoon thunderstorm is on its way which if good for the plants. But even though most of the summer days here are humid, they arent usually as humid as the deep south and florida. Its that kind of humidity that makes the best time of the day to go outside in the early morning hours, and from sunset on.

And officially the highest temp by me was 92F (one source says 91F) so Ill say that I tied with Njoasis. The past 2 aprils have gotten to 90F in my area. Thats pretty unusual! Record high for the entire month of april is 94F and we arent even half way done with the month and are only 3 degrees from the record (last year we tied the record).

Good luck everyone. A cold front is on the way and then the summer weather will transition back to spring weather.

• meyermike_1micha
    14 years ago

That's it for now..Use to a few days stunt.Today it is 25 degrees colder and like this for the next week. In my plants go in again...

If the Bermuda high was only here for a quick visit, I guess I can kiss the nice warm weather goodbye for weeks to come..lol

Mike

• jimhardy
    14 years ago

njoasis
    I took the enclosure off a few days ago,it really doesn't do much considering the soil temps are the same outside of it.

115 was the highest temp it saw in there,it didn't bother it and no,it's not in the sun,just the greenhouse effect for you-before I opened it.
    Everything is uncovered now except the Basjoo pups that have opened their first leaves already-they are covered more to keep them warm at night,it stays about 5f warmer in there.
    Those covers come off mid month weather(15 day)permitting(-;

• tropicalzone7
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Today is still warm here, in the 80s. I think my bananas are and windmill palms are taking advantage of this weather the most. I planted my medditereanean fan palm in place of my needle palm. The mother plant of my needle palm died, but one small pup remains alive. Im not sure if its really worth saving since its a very small pup that has not put out even the slightest hint of growth yet.
    Jim, hows your bismarkia doing? The new leaves on mine fell over so now its down to 2, but with some TLC and water I think it will grow some nice new leaves as the season progresses.
    Tommorrow is just going to only be in the high 50s with a low in the low 40s which is the lowest temp of the month and the lowest in the forecast. Then after that 60s return. Good news is still no sign of frost at all and since just about all of my plants are outside, it would be very difficult to take them back in on short notice.

Good luck everyone!

• jimhardy
    14 years ago

Yeeeeeeeaaaaaaa,mine are staying where they are(-;

The Bismarckia is neither here nor there,it lives-no sign of growth yet but it is in the ground and there it stays!

I sprayed most everything that's tender with Freeze-pruf and /so I don't regret it/covered the Colocasia and Canna with styrofoam containers(-:

• User
    14 years ago

Today was gorgeous! If we could just bottle it up for the whole year! Highs somewhere in the mid to upper 80's, dry, sunny, with a near constant strong breeze which made it possible to work in the sun. I felt inspired and spent the day transplanting my Canary Island palms (all grown from seed) and Washingtonia robustas. Highs cool down to the mid and upper 60's but it'll be warmer in the the oasis--always is.

• tropicalzone7
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Jim...
    dont forget to tell us how the freeze pruf works!

Njoasis..
    The breeze was really nice today by me too. Im not sure, but I think it was coming off the water a bit so the breeze was refreshing even though temps got around the 80s. Its still very nice outside.

Good luck!

• tropicpalms
    14 years ago

last wed easily lower 90s. big windy storm last night brought cooler weather with it mid 60s-70s Justin in Vb

• tropicalzone7
    Original Author
    14 years ago

That cold front cooled us down too. Tonight might dip into the high 30s so Im a little worried about my plants and am hoping that the milder ocean waters will keep us in the 40s tonight. Forecast looks like 60s and 70s all next week with most days being very sunny. We havent gotten too much rain this month which is a little unusual because april is known to be a wet month. Even the cold front that came in brought mainly light rain. No lightning or wind that I know of because it was probably around dawn when the front came through. Its a little windy tonight though.

Good luck!

• jimhardy
    14 years ago

It only went down to 35ish at my house but no visible damage to bananas or anything else,not even black spotting which normally shows first.
    I will keep an eye on them as it sometimes takes a day or two for it to show.

• User
    14 years ago

Tropical zone, seems like last night was the coolest around here. Locally, don't see anything lower than about 42 F.. We did get some rain last night (at least 1/4 inch)--though I agree it's been unusually sunny, and dry for April--most of the state actually has a red flag warning due to low humidity and breezy conditions--didn't we just have a foot of rain this past March?! I have just about everything out save for some of the more tender tropicals (some Dracaenas, Chinese evergreens, diffenbachia, etc.) I can't believe how different it all is from last year--everything greening up fast--even have leaves on the Crape Myrtles and I don't think they greened up till June last year!! JimHardy, watch those bananas. I had no damage on my sikkimensis, Chinese or Japanese Basjoo but moved my dwarfs in as I did see a bit of discoloration from last night. Happy gardening!

• dragontek
    14 years ago

The winter here in Connecticut was a bit milder then average- with less snow then usual--the regions to the south- NYC and south did not make out as well.

March was an astounding 15 degrees warmer then average- and April thus far has been mild to warm- we set an earliest temperature of 90 or above (April 7th) 93 degrees.

My trachycarpus fortunei -covered- suffered no damage-the trachy wag- suffered some cold damage however.

• jimhardy
    14 years ago

I'm watch'in (-;

No damage!
    The only discoloration(and it was slight)was on a couple leaves that I purposely didn't spray with Freeze-pruf and my small Rowe red banana.

This has been the most beautiful April I can remember-another perfect day!

• tropicalzone7
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I didnt see last nights forecast until last night so the only plants I had a chance to take in was the orchids because they were by the door. Fortunately no damage on anything at all. I dont think temps got into the 30s here. Most of the weather stations are saying temps were about 40F and the thermometer in my yard said 42.4F as a min temp.
    dragontek... I think you have the warmest temp so far at 93F!

Good luck everyone!