SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rhizo_1

oooh....a special treat coming this weekend!

Our neighbor is making a trip to the coast for some fishing and is bringing back some snapper (if they catch any) and fresh shrimp! I've been waiting for some fresh shrimp so I can make a batch of Frogmore Stew. With corn in season, too, I will be a happy girl ; I won't use frozen anything for this dish, so I haven't had it for a long time. I used to live in the community where this stew originated, in the middle of the Lowcountry in SC. (Beaufort) Everyone had their own version, though it can't deviate very much.

Ingredients for two, with plenty leftovers :

Two pounds of large, fresh shrimp....skins on

1 pound smoked sausage, cut into one inch rounds

Baby new red potatoes

6 ears of fresh corn, shucked and cut in half

4 peeled medium onions, cut in half

4 quarts water

2 bottles of beer....not lite

A bunch of Old Bay or other seafood seasoning

Once the liquids get boiling, add some Old Bay (start with a Tb.) then drop in the onions to get them started. I like to add the sausage, too. It helps flavor everything else.

Peel one strip around the middle of each potato and add them once the onions have cooked for about five minutes. Cook the potatoes for about 8 more minutes before adding 6 of the chunks of corn. Be sure to add more seasoning!

In about two minutes, toss in the shrimp, which will only take a minute or so to pink up.

Ladle everything into a large bowl, with tongs and slotted spoons on the table. (Leave the broth on the stove in case anyone wants more corn.) Also on the table : a roll of paper towels, a bowl for the shrimp peels, S&P, butter, lemon slices, and Old Bay. Warm crusty bread goes well with this.

NOW! How should I fix that fresh snapper? Anybody have a favorite recipe or method?

Comments (11)