SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
samkaren_gw

MJ Memorial Tuesday

samkaren
14 years ago

Anyone going to watch it? I don't think I would even if I was home. Can you imagine the crowd of 17,000 who got tickets and the thousands outside who didn't?

Tomorrow it will be MJ ALL DAY and NIGHT with coverage of the memorial.

I am sorry that he died because I did enjoy 80% of his music...but....come on....bury the poor guy already so he can finally rest in peace.

SamKaren

your resident DJ

Comments (71)

• littlebit_gw
    14 years ago

I won't be home but I am planning on taping what I can of the coverage and my best friend will tivo it for me.
    Everyone talking about it being enough already and how people are showing up at his houses etc...

It has been 32 years since Elvis died and every year on his birthday hundreds of people turn up at Graceland in his honor. Its not going to stop any time soon.

Just found this on line about Graceland....

Graceland Mansion is now one of the most visited homes today and attracts over 600000 visitors each year. It is the most famous house in America after the White House.

• cherbo
    14 years ago

I didn't watch him when he was alive and I won't be watching tomorrow. PLEASE GET IT OVER WITH!

• Related Discussions

Quote Tuesday 4 December

Q

Comments (5)
    Lilo, for me it's the aroma of the chaparral, brushing against legs and clothing. The scent of sage, dried wild oats, romero, and the other perfumes of plants from a dry Mediterranean climate. And the special scent of pine during warm days. Thanks for the quote, OhioMom.
    ...See More

Michael Jackson memorial

Q

Comments (19)
    Graywings, Suppose you were worth half-a-Billion dollars, and let's suppose, God forbid, you were accused of molesting a child. You know you're innocent although to "outsiders" the circumstances seem suspect, but you know you are very much innocent. The slew of lawyers you hired are costing you millions for the defense of your Innocence, and in the meanwhile your image is being maligned in the media. Now let's suppose your attorneys "suggest" to you to simply pay the family a million dollars a year for 20 years, and this will put an end to the trial, the attorneys' fees, and the daily barrage of media coverage... Which would you choose? A million per year for 20 years is cheaper than the price of the media crucifying you daily. As for the child not testifying, if you knew you were lying about your child being molested, would you make your child "testify/lie" in a court-of-law? We usually see and hear only what we choose to, whether it's true or false. That's what I saw through all the media-hype. Remember the Don Henley song? "I Make My Living Off the Evening News." Read the lyrics. So sad, but soooo very true! The World Loves Michael Jackson, especially moi! : )
    ...See More

Microsoft has pulled one of the Tuesday updates!

Q

Comments (1)
    Thanks for the update. Thankfully I stopped having my Windows 7 automatically update just last month. It would reboot without warning and was making me crazy.
    ...See More

Are you quilting this weekend? (Memorial Day) May 24-27

Q

Comments (15)
    Linda OH, I love you and your DD sew together. Donna, sounds like you have a lot going on. Looking forward to seeing your hunter's star. Theresa, yay for the purging! Go, go, go! Linda, That's a lot of blocks to stitch. What size are they? Kate, would love to see a photo of your progress. I have the swoon quilt on my list, but can't quite wrap my head around the instructions. Think I need to pull it out and have a deep think on it. I finally summoned up the courage to stitch together those Kaffe Fassett 6" squares I've had in my stash. I've sewn two packs so far, with one left. I like how they're turning out, though they are in no particular arrangement at the moment. I hope to finish the last pack today. My other sewing plans are to make some skirts. We've had sunny, upper 90s weather here this week, and the humidity is around 78%. After running errands in that yesterday, I desperately need some breezy summer clothing. I don't wear shorts, and pants won't cut it. It's all about the air flow when it gets this hot and humid! ;) Hope everyone gets their intended projects done this weekend! Happy Quilting Weekend, y'all!
    ...See More
  • cynic
    14 years ago

I have no intention of watching the worshipping of a self-mutilating drug addict. He's dead, he's gone, his family will fight like crazy over what little he has left and I find that humorous. In death as in life. The sooner he's buried, the sooner it's appropriate to bring on the newest Wacko Jacko jokes. And there's so many waiting to get out!

There's a lot of people who contributed far more, and got far less who pass without so much as acknowledgement. This just highlights the warped sense of values of so many IMO.

• kayjones
    14 years ago

Like I said, people might not have appreciated him as a person, but his music was great - he will live on through that music and it will be listened to for many years to come, just as Elvis' music will. He was a super performer, IMHO.

• Cherryfizz
    14 years ago

His music was great only if you liked his type of music. Not everyone does.

Ican honestly say I wasn't much of a fan. I liked the Thriller video and the Black and White video and liked the song Rockin' Robin but that was the extent of my interest. I have a lot of scrapbooks I have made since childhood and the one thing missing from them all is anything to do with MJ or Elvis. I enjoyed everything else from Mowtown though being from the Detroit area. I never watched the Elvis hoopla either. I enjoyed the movies Elvis was in but to actually go out and buy an album of his music something I would never have done. My Mom bought me the Thriller tape and I recall wondering at the time why she thought I would like a tape of his music. I think that tape is still buried somewhere in my closet. LOL

I have no intention of watching plus I rarely have the television on during the day when I am home and tomorrow I won't be home. My sister is here staying with me and I don't think she has any desire to watch it either.

Anne

• rthummer
    14 years ago

No, I won't be watching. I am reading this book by Tamera Alexander named Revealed and I am at the best part, so the memorial will have to go on without me watching. (;-)

• gwanny2three
    14 years ago

I agree with all of the positives here....I still enjoy his music and videos, always have. He was a great entertainer! Whatever he did or didn't do in his private life doesn't change the talent he had. His creepiness in his later years was bizarre, but I too am fascintated by him and his life. This is all going to get crazier as the days go on, I plan to follow this story. I just won't be standing in front of places he lived or visited, etc just to be there....THAT is crazy!

• Lily316
    14 years ago

I'll probably record it. I loved his early music and thought he was a phenomenal entertainer. He totally turned into a freak in his later years going from a handsome black guy to a white weirdo but there is no denying his talent. He was one of the greatest entertainers of our time.

• susan_on
    14 years ago

I agree with all the positives too. He was a great and talented performer who changed the music world. Being raised by an abusive father, as he was, doomed him from the beginning. Because of his fame, he was surrounded by sycophants, which made it harder for him to get help than it would be for you and I. I wish I didn't have to work today, so I could watch some of it. But if I wasn't interested, I would just leave the TV off, and get my news in other ways, as it's on the news because there are enough people who are interested in it.

• enjoyingspring
    14 years ago

I was watching on the news that 3 woman travelled from Japan just to be part of this. Some people have too much money.

This has gone on a little too long, too bad the media didn't treat him this well in life.

• samkaren
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I would love to get a CD of just my favorite songs by him. He had some great music and some not-so-great.

I hope once he is buried and at his final resting place the media hype will tone down....at least until the anniversary a year from now.

SamKaren
    your resident DJ

• kayjones
    14 years ago

I heard, on HLN, that the reporting on this is 'cream' for the media - almost like a free ticket to sensational reporting, which the public eats up. They stated this would go on for a LONG time, because it brings in high ratings, which means 'free' money - the whole thing is so very sad. It is a media frenzy just like the Anna Nicole fiasco - everyone in the 'business' made millions on her weird life and death - the media folks get paid LOTS of good money at the expense of the life of such a person, and they will milk if to a long time to come.

• mrsmarv
    14 years ago

"There's a lot of people who contributed far more, and got far less who pass without so much as acknowledgement. This just highlights the warped sense of values of so many IMO."

Ditto for me (and a big yawn).

• marlingardener
    14 years ago

Poor California--mudslides, wildfires, earthquakes, drought, and now the memorial for a sad little man(?) that will cost the state money better spent on necessary things. I read that LA would have to spend about $2.5 million on police, traffic control, etc. because there is to be one last spectacle.
    I won't be watching, as you may have guessed.

• merry_maid
    14 years ago

I'll be watching, celebrating the musical genius he was and the happiness that brought me and my family.

He was a human being who deserves no more or less accolades than you or I; his celebrity was just something that happens in our world, whether we like it/agree with it or not. I do think the Jackson estate should fund the mechanics of this memorial; that's only fair.

For those of you who have judged and crucified him, shame on you. We will all be judged in the end by the only one who matters, including you and your hateful words.

RIP, MJ.

• caflowerluver
    14 years ago

No I will not be watching. I turned off the TV as soon as the local news was over. I usually sit and watch the NBC show while drinking my coffee, but no way was I going to watch all the hoopla about MJ. I really donÂt understand these people who are going to be there. He was talented in his earlier years and I liked some of his songs, but I donÂt think he was that great. There have been other music celebrities who were just as good or better that died and people didnÂt go this crazy. And the news didnÂt cover their deaths nonstop for 2 weeks.

Did he ever make any significant donations to charities with his multi-millions? Is he a role model that you want your kids to grow up to be like? Did he help out victims of natural disasters like Katrina? Did he do anything except just sing and dance? He was just a pop music star  nothing more.

Sorry to vent, but I am just so sick and tired of all this coverage!
    Clare

• stargazzer
    14 years ago

Some nut will try to dig him up or whatever they do when they vandalize graves. They had to move Elvis to his own property because of vandalism.

When they buried Lincoln the last (third) time, they had official witnesses who could testify it was Lincoln in that grave.

• lydia1959
    14 years ago

Did he ever make any significant donations to charities with his multi-millions? Is he a role model that you want your kids to grow up to be like? Did he help out victims of natural disasters like Katrina?
    He was listed in the 2000 edition of the Guiness Book Of World Records for breaking the world record for the "Most Charities Supported By a Pop Star". See the link below.

I wasn't a big fan of MJ, but I don't see a problem with the memorial. So far things seem to be handled well. I may watch bits of the service.

RIP Michael

Here is a link that might be useful: Michael Jackson's charities

• marilyn_c
    14 years ago

Uh....no. I won't be watching. I don't see a problem with a little bit about Michael Jackson...truly a great entertainer, one of a kind. But, the hoopla that has gone on and on and on about him, I find completely disgusting. There are so many important issues right now, and what do we get...Michael Jackson, Michael Jackson, Michael Jackson.

I have to admit tho....I quit watching tv last fall, except for a couple of totally fluff programs. I don't get in at night in time to watch television and when the switch over to digital came on June 12, I didn't buy a converter box.
    Someone actually gave me one, but I haven't had time to hook it up. I will try to hook it up today tho. I miss having tv as a night light....on, but with the volume turned all the way down.

• petaloid
    14 years ago

We are hoping that revenue brought into the city from this event (visitors, tourism) will offset expenses.

The casket, covered in what appears to be red roses, is being carried in as I type.

• lynn_d
    14 years ago

I don't know if he did what his accusers say or not, he is the one that will have to answer for it so I will not judge him. I do think that he was one of the most talented people that we have ever seen and I have certainly enjoyed his performances snd his talent over the years.

He was extremely well known for his support of charities and he spearheaded many charitable performances and fundraisers....We are the World immediately comes to mind. I can only wish that I could make a teeny amount of the positive change to the world that he has done during his short life on this earth.

As to the pitiful name calling....shame on you. Many here have lost loved ones to drug abuse. "There but for the grace of God, go I."

• ddoomes
    14 years ago

AMEN, Lynn D.

• petaloid
    14 years ago

I'm not a crier. I'm just not, okay?

But ... when Paris Jackson spoke about her father, even I got choked up. Too darned sad.

• Granlan_TX
    14 years ago

I watched every minute and wouldn't have chosen to do anything else with my afternoon.

And yes, MJ was a very generous and giving human being.

Michael wrote many of his songs, some of which truly showed his kind heart. He certainly could do more than sing and dance.

My daughter died of a drug overdose..she was still a good person with a big heart. If she was still alive, I would've wished to watch the memorial with her today. Instead I cried alone for her, for Michael, and for this world which can seem so cruel, ugly and unkind.

• jamielovescoffee__az
    14 years ago

Sign my name to Merry Maid and Lynn D's posts. The words to so many of his songs are, well, amazing. I think his songs were a reflection of his heart and the good things he wished for the world and humanity.

• sjerin
    14 years ago

granlan tx, I'm so sorry that you lost your dd at an early age. I too thought the service was beautifully done and I cried a-plenty-- wish I could have sat with you so we could have cried together. There are very few of mj's songs that I didn't love.

• nancylouise5me
    14 years ago

I did watch some of the memorial and laughed and cried when his friends were reminiscing about MJ. He has done so much for people through his music and dance. He truly was a gifted performer and brought so much joy to people. Thankfully the negative words from some are in the minority and as I have said before, they say more about the people that use them and their character then anything else. RIP MJ. NancyLouise

• kgal_2008
    14 years ago

I did watch parts of it. Thought it went on a little too long but it was very low key IMOP. I liked Brook Shields memories of MJ as a teen and some of the music. Hope MJ finds the peace and privacy now that he never seemed to get ( or maybe wanted) in life.

• susan_on
    14 years ago

He donated millions and millions to charity, and he was dedicated to so many causes, as shown by the link. And it doesn't cost us anything to feel for the loss of a human being, who struggled so much.

• socks
    14 years ago

I heard parts of the memorial on the radio and TV. The Brook Sheilds presentation was so sad. That made me cry for her because she's hurting so.

I feel sorry for him. I think he never lived in the "real" world from when he was a child and grew increasingly out of touch with reality. He truly thought it was OK to have children in bed with him. He just didn't see how it was wrong.

• zeetera
    14 years ago

Thank you Lynn D. I'm glad my parents taught me tolerance.

• lynn_d
    14 years ago

So many of our idols give up their lives for their fame. They lead such sad and lonely lives, Michael & Elvis are perfect examples, if I were forced to live that way I would be more than wierd and probably be doing more than drugs. I can't imagine what not being able to go to the store or being able to go out with friends whenever I want.

Granlan, I'm so sorry that your daughter wasn't with you in the physical world but I know she was there beside you spiritually.

I cried from the time Brooke was on till the end.....I just pray that he is at peace and that his children find strength and love.

• trinitytx
    14 years ago

I really was moved by the MJ memorial. Sad but really thoughtfully done. Brooke Sheilds talk melted me. She is also a child star that knows the reality of growing up in that world.
    Other than he died too early, I don't know what else to say.
    I am so sorry that the Jackson brothers lost their little brother too early. I hope the girls in the family will cope with this well.

Trin

• Adella Bedella
    14 years ago

I didn't watch the memorial, but caught a few tidbits online. I can't help, but think MJ's actions to keep his children's faces private was in vain with this public funeral. Regardless of anything else he did or didn't do, I do think he tried to be the best father he could. His little girl's speech was heartbreaking.

• okwriter
    14 years ago

What a moving memorial service.

• glenda_al
    14 years ago

His daughter touched my heart.

• Terri_PacNW
    14 years ago

I wasn't going to watch it..but came in about 1/2 hr into it..

I was very touched by the love and the stories and the renditions of his songs by other artists..I loved Smokey Robinsons "story"...and Brooke had me in tears along with her..and when Jermaine sang Smile, and Usher..and Marlon's little "note" to hug his twin, and Paris...oh that poor little girl! Never known anything but her "Daddy"...and to be 11 years old...

It was all very touching.

• kayjones
    14 years ago

It was a wonderful tribute to a wonderful artist - RIP, Michael - at peace at last.

• gwanny2three
    14 years ago

Ditto LynnD! I thought at first the memorial was just too much and it would be just a concert more or less....I was wrong. It was beautifully done!!

• Jodi_SoCal
    14 years ago

Jerome's "Smile" was just beautiful as were Brooke's memories. And the part with Michael speaking the words in "Will You Be There?" said it all.

Jodi-

• clubm
    14 years ago

I watched a rebroadcast last night and thought it was a beautiful memorial. His daughter had me in tears.

• Lily316
    14 years ago

It was a tasteful wonderful tribute to a huge talent. I wish he would have had the This Is It tour. It sounded like he had it together. He will only grown more popular as time goes on like Elvis did. I wonder why Lisa Marie didn't come.

• dotmom
    14 years ago

Sorry , I agree totally with Cynic, and (I never thought I would ever agree with anything she would say,) I agreed with Elizabeth Hasselbeck, on the View, when she said when all of this hoopla is going on about MJ, we had one of the most deadly weeks in the war, in a fairly long time. Where was the coverage for these people who gave their lives for us? Sorry, this is just my opinion, but enough is enough. Bury the man and let the family get on with their grieving. I, for one grieve for the families of our heroes who gave their all.

• irishdancersgram
    14 years ago

I agree Dotmom......

• Marilyn Sue McClintock
    14 years ago

Cynic is a she?

Sue

• merry_maid
    14 years ago

. . . NOW . . . elisabeth hasselbeck is concerned about the deadly war?!? . . . seems she wasn't too judgmental about it when her old pal was in power.

Newsflash: EVERYONE grieves for our military families; some just do it publicly when it's convenient for their PR. Comparing the value of human life is pretty low, no matter what the circumstance.

• dotmom
    14 years ago

Marilyn Sue, maybe I didn't put my coma in the right place, the 'she' I was referring to was Elizabeth.

Merry maid, You don't think some of the people "grieving" for MJ wasn't doing it for publicity or profit?? And E H has always been concerned about the war, its just her opinion and mine on the subject have always been different. Maybe in a perfect world, all people would have the same value, but this isn't a perfect world, and it is my right to say my sympathies are more with the families who lost a member, fighting for our freedom, that with a self mutilating druggie, and using the excuse that his father was abusive for not growing up and "sleeping" with little boys.

• merry_maid
    14 years ago

uh, nobody is denying you your rights, DM ...... and thankfully, we are all equal in His eyes.

• nancylouise5me
    14 years ago

I wonder why people have the attitude that it has to be either or. Why you can't grieve for both military or celebrity deaths? Dead is dead no matter whom it happens to. Maybe they aren't watching the same television news programs I do or read the newspapers. I knew about the deaths in Afganistan and grieve for their families and friends even though I don't know them. I can walk and chew gum at the same time too. NancyLouise

• sjerin
    14 years ago

Excellent point, NancyLouise!