SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jodi_socal

Yikes ... Mountain Lion Warning at Work!

Jodi_SoCal
13 years ago

We received this warning in an email yesterday. The company I work for has a "campus" of eight buildings atop a hill overlooking Irvine and Newport Beach, CA. I hike the hill behind our building (at least I *used* to :-). Saw a gorgeous Bobcat up there a couple weeks ago. Mountain Lions are inland where I hike all the time, but this area is not big enough to support a Mountain Lion family, which really makes them desperate for food. What it's doing here, I don't know, it would have had to cross a toll road and/or a freeway to get to this side of the county.

Here is the warning email we received. Thought it might interest someone on how to behave if they should ever encounter a large cat.

We now refer to our Volleyball sand court as the ginormous sand box. :-)

A recent sighting of a Mountain lion was reported on the Irvine Campus in the general area of the volleyball courts.

According to the California Department of Fish & Game, Mountain lion attacks on humans are considered to be extremely rare and studies have shown, Mountain lions tend to avoid people. If you encounter a Mountain lion in any environment, the California Department of Fish & Game gives the following advice:

DO NOT APPROACH A LION: Most Mountain lions will try to avoid a confrontation. Give them a way to escape.

DO NOT RUN FROM A LION: Running may stimulate a mountain lion's instinct to chase. Instead, stand and face the animal. Make eye contact. If there are small children there, pick them up if possible so they don't panic and run. Although it may be awkward, pick them up without bending over or turning away from the mountain lion.

DO NOT CROUCH DOWN OR BEND OVER: In Nepal, a researcher studying tigers and leopards watched the big cats kill cattle and domestic water buffalo while ignoring humans standing nearby. He surmised that a human standing up is just not the right shape for a cat's prey. On the other hand, a person squatting or bending over looks a lot like a four-legged prey animal. When in mountain lion country, avoid squatting, crouching or bending over, even when picking up children.

APPEAR LARGER: Raise your arms. Open your jacket if you are wearing one. Again, pick up small children. Throw stones, branches, or whatever you can reach without crouching or turning your back. Wave your arms slowly and speak firmly in a loud voice. The idea is to convince the mountain lion that you are not prey and that you may be a danger to it.

FIGHT BACK IF ATTACKED: Many potential victims have fought back successfully with rocks, sticks, caps, jackets, garden tools and their bare hands. Since a mountain lion usually tries to bite the head or neck, try to remain standing and face the attacking animal.

DO NOT HIKE ALONE: Go in groups, with adults supervising children.

KEEP CHILDREN CLOSE TO YOU: Observations of captured wild mountain lions reveal that the animals seem especially drawn to children. Keep children within your sight at all times

If a mountain lion attacks a person, immediately call 911.

Comments (26)